Dental Crowns

Had one come off during an out of state vacation. Cleaned, dried, and Super-glued it back on. When we got home, I went to my dentist to get it permanently put back in place.

He couldn't get it off! Said I did a great job! That was 10 years ago and it's still in place and I'm still alive...

Coincidently I am getting it installed today. It took over two weeks to fabricate. I hear some dentists have 3-D printers that make them same day.

I switched dentists because I wanted an excellent fit for my implant crown and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in, and go back AGAIN for it to be placed. I chose a CEREC dentist and am thrilled with how well my new crown fits. I tend to have issues with crowns manufactured in the standard manner.

I switched dentists because I wanted an excellent fit for my implant crown and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in, and go back AGAIN for it to be placed. I chose a CEREC dentist and am thrilled with how well my new crown fits. I tend to have issues with crowns manufactured in the standard manner.

I had never heard of CEREC so I looked it up. Sounds like a good idea.

I have only had one crown fail to fit once it came in from the lab. My dentist lost his cool and quietly fumed out of the treatment room. His assistant replaced the temp crown and I had to come back a couple of weeks later. Only time I've ever seen my dentist upset about anything. I'm guessing he changed labs after that.

I'm wondering why most dentists don't learn the CEREC process and get the needed equipment. Seems like the wave of the future. Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering why most dentists don't learn the CEREC process and get the needed equipment. Seems like the wave of the future. Thanks for the info.

Our close friend is a dentist (sadly, we don't live near each other!), and he is the one who educated me about the CEREC process. He said the equipment is very expensive along with all of the training. I would presume that is why more dentists don't use it.

He also invested in really expensive laser equipment and training and does lots of really cool stuff with it. He can do many different kinds of procedures with less need for novocaine. I was having some tooth sensitivity near the gum line once while we were visiting him. A quick stop at his office...and I mean quick...3 seconds of treatment with laser to the area...and my pain disappeared. Fascinating!

Had one come off during an out of state vacation. Cleaned, dried, and Super-glued it back on. When we got home, I went to my dentist to get it permanently put back in place.

He couldn't get it off! Said I did a great job! That was 10 years ago and it's still in place and I'm still alive...
Oh boy. Wish I had thought of that. Same thing happened to me. Leaving a restaurant they gave out one of those Black Cow candies.

I was trying not to chew it but I popped off a crown. I ended up investing in an emergency dental visit for say $225 or so. That would have bought a lot of super glue!

I have many crowns in my mouth, over the decades a few have come off and been reglued with good results long term.

OTOH, I've had several where decay had started under or around the margins of the crown. One or two of them needed the tooth to be root-canaled, the others required some basic drilling and then making a new crown to fit the reshaped tooth. Replacing a crown is expensive.

I really do not get people saying paying cash is cheaper.

I had to get a quote from a periodontist. My OOP with insurance is $1700. Without it is $2150. Does not seem to be an advantage to cash.

Just had one fall off, he re-glue, filed claim & left me with the $53 additional. Eating now&laters definitely did it.

I put it back on (loose) and waited a few days to get in to the dentist office... They mentioned a new, better glue too.

Our close friend is a dentist (sadly, we don't live near each other!), and he is the one who educated me about the CEREC process. He said the equipment is very expensive along with all of the training. I would presume that is why more dentists don't use it.

He also invested in really expensive laser equipment and training and does lots of really cool stuff with it. He can do many different kinds of procedures with less need for novocaine. I was having some tooth sensitivity near the gum line once while we were visiting him. A quick stop at his office...and I mean quick...3 seconds of treatment with laser to the area...and my pain disappeared. Fascinating!

Whoa! I like that. Last crown I had replaced, I had to go back 4 times to control the sensitivity. Finally got it right, but what a hassle and time waster.

I had to get a quote from a periodontist. My OOP with insurance is $1700. Without it is $2150. Does not seem to be an advantage to cash.

How much does the insurance cost you?

Hmmm.... That cost seems steep compared to my coverage. I have Cigna Dental plan, costs me $185 for the year for family plan. Crown cost with the plan is $880. Also save on regular 6 month checkup, basically saves enough for wife and I that it cover cost of the plan and maybe a few bucks more.

How much does the insurance cost you?

Oh well the insurance was a huge mistake because I signed up for cobra so I think its $42. While employed it was IDK about $17. It is Cigna.

And to be fair I used some of my benefits already this year for a crown so not a lot is left. I had forgotten that when I signed up, I had thought I completed the other work in Dec and did not verify because I knew I needed more work and was just thinking oh crap. So not their fault exactly but I still didn't think cash seemed like a "deal" even if I was back at employee prices. IDK.

Last edited:
I had never heard of CEREC so I looked it up. Sounds like a good idea.

I have only had one crown fail to fit once it came in from the lab. My dentist lost his cool and quietly fumed out of the treatment room. His assistant replaced the temp crown and I had to come back a couple of weeks later. Only time I've ever seen my dentist upset about anything. I'm guessing he changed labs after that.

I have two CEREC crowns. Both done in less than an hour. Cost about $800 each vs my two older crowns done in about two weeks and cost about $1200 each. I can’t tell the difference in my mouth.

My last crown took about 5 visits (2 to color match it at the lab) since front tooth. It seemed excessive.

I have two CEREC crowns. Both done in less than an hour. Cost about $800 each vs my two older crowns done in about two weeks and cost about $1200 each. I can’t tell the difference in my mouth.

Last dentist who wanted to use a made-in-office ceramic crown (not sure if CEREC) wanted to charge ~50% more than the porcelain-over-metal lab-made crown cost (through a different dentist) I needed over a live back molar.

When that tooth became infected ~25 years later (after the root canal) I had it replaced with a gold crown given that material is kindest to the opposing tooth...hopefully should last the rest of my life.

Only have 2 molar upper crowns. Last one was placed a year ago and doing good. The first was placed 30 years ago and was doing fine until I put a Jolly Rancher candy in my mouth. The crown popped out and swallowed with Jolly Rancher remnants. It came out 3 days later! Being frugal, I cleaned it up and went to my dentist 2 days later. He sterilized and glued the crown back on, then charged for a basis office visit. That happened 25 years ago, no problems since then!!!

Only have 2 molar upper crowns. Last one was placed a year ago and doing good. The first was placed 30 years ago and was doing fine until I put a Jolly Rancher candy in my mouth. The crown popped out and swallowed with Jolly Rancher remnants. It came out 3 days later! Being frugal, I cleaned it up and went to my dentist 2 days later. He sterilized and glued the crown back on, then charged for a basis office visit. That happened 25 years ago, no problems since then!!!

^^^That's a LOT of information!

Yup TOO much information.:yuk:

In my best Waylon Jennings voice: Don't you think this LBM living done got out of hand."

"Re-using is better than recycling"

:angel:

Do you need every molar, I be tempted just pull it and be done with it? A crown has to be $2000-$3000 these days?

I just had a crown done yesterday. Without insurance I paid $1,900. In St Pete Florida

I don't think I'd be willing to give up a molar as long as I can afford not to. I think my replacement crown last year (with gold) was about $1500.

Couple of weeks ago a crown came out. I had to wait for an appointment bc I was a new patient, but I was able to get my crown glued back in after an x-ray of that tooth. Dentist said that the crown was well-made and adhesives now are much better. Maybe it will last another 15 years. I'll be eating gruel by then. Work cost $175. This dentist is a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom