Dental Crowns

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Whenever you've had a dental crown fall off - do you usually find that you can just go to your dentist and just have it "glued" back on? or do they encourage you to have a whole new crown made? (assuming the old crown is still intact and undamaged?)

Maybe also this depends (somewhat?) on the age of the crown?

I had one fall off, my dentist was amazed the glue didn't hold. He kept asking me if I had been eating"sticky" foods (taffy, caramels, gum--nope), the glue just didn't hold.
He just cleaned out the old stuff, and glued it back.

They really aren't designed to come off easily.

Haven't had the problem yet. My two crowns are both 11 years old. How long did yours last before coming loose?

DH had this happen but the crown was a partial and it was old. It looked like it could just be reglued but the dentist said they don't do partial crowns anymore so he had to have the tooth reshaped and then a whole new crown.

Old dentist glued it back on and then 3 days later I had an infection which required a root canal. IDK if it was a coincidence or not.

Haven't had the problem yet. My two crowns are both 11 years old. How long did yours last before coming loose?

not sure, probably at least 10-15 years

My rear molar on the upper right hand side (the #2 tooth, as the #1 was a wisdom that had already been removed) was a tough cookie. The crown kept falling off, as there was very little tooth above the gumline for adhesion. Every time it fell off, the dentist tried a new technique to keep it stuck on, which required a new crown. Eventually, he succeeded, but the area became infected, so I am now getting an implant. Luckily for me, he covered the cost every time a new crown was required. This dentist's a keeper.

Last edited:
DH had this happen but the crown was a partial and it was old. It looked like it could just be reglued but the dentist said they don't do partial crowns anymore so he had to have the tooth reshaped and then a whole new crown.

That's been the case for me every time- my crowns are also old. Most were installed before I left NJ and that was in 2003. I really dislike all the laborious grinding involved in "crown preparation" but I trust my dentist.

I had a 20-year old gold crown on bottom molar pop off. It had a hole worn through the middle so I had to get a new crown made for about $1000 (after dental insurance that only paid a piddly $278). Coincidently I am getting it installed today. It took over two weeks to fabricate. I hear some dentists have 3-D printers that make them same day.

That's been the case for me every time- my crowns are also old. Most were installed before I left NJ and that was in 2003. I really dislike all the laborious grinding involved in "crown preparation" but I trust my dentist.

I always hear about how bad root canals are but I had no problem at all with my root canals. The crown prep was way worse than the root canals for me.

Had two come off, different times, both were reglued. Dentist said newer glue was much stronger, a "super glue". It has been some time since they were reset and no problems. They may not be able to glue and reset if underlying partial tooth has broken down.

I always hear about how bad root canals are but I had no problem at all with my root canals. The crown prep was way worse than the root canals for me.

Agree root canals are a breeze but crowns kinda suck

I had a 20-year old gold crown on bottom molar pop off. It had a hole worn through the middle so I had to get a new crown made for about $1000 (after dental insurance that only paid a piddly $278). Coincidently I am getting it installed today. It took over two weeks to fabricate. I hear some dentists have 3-D printers that make them same day.

This is why we decided not to get dental insurance. $80/month for 2 people. Some insurances pay more but then you have to go through whether or not the dentist is in the network. Plus I want my dentist to do the work and if I change dentists or insurance it starts all over again. That's why we have a nice HSA account.

I have 11 crowns and any one of them could break, they're very old. I'm just waiting for that to happen.

I hear some dentists have 3-D printers that make them same day.

My dentist makes CEREC crowns in his office. It's not a 3D printer, instead he takes 3D pictures of the existing tooth and the surface the crown will be glued to, then chooses a correct size block of the material. Then the machine carves away the parts of the block to leave a tooth shaped crown.

The video on this page explains it much better.
https://sdcerec.com

DW had a new crown that came off after a couple of weeks. She went back several times to have the dentist reglue it. Finally the dentist got made and said DW must be eating something to causee this to happen. She went to another dentist who reshaped it a bit and glued it back on. It has never come off since then. We now have a new dentist :).

I have several crowns that are 15-20 years old. Never had them come off, but before each I had a crown lengthening procedure :eek:. As painful as that was, it may be one reason the crowns have stayed on.

this is not true. a partial crown would be either an onlay or 3/4 crown where part of the tooth is not covered by the crown. I did many of these. they are not as easy, take more time, and are more technique sensitive than a full crown but they are an excellent restoration. many dentists don't like to do them for the above reasons.
if a crown comes off it may be possible to put back on if
1. the crown is still in acceptable condition i.e. not cracked or chipped or has a hole from grinding on it.
2. the crown still fits properly on the tooth.
3. the underlying tooth is in good condition i.e. no decay, gum disease.
sometimes a crown will come off because the tooth has cracked. when you look inside the crown part of the tooth is in there. can not recement it.

Do you need every molar, I be tempted just pull it and be done with it? A crown has to be $2000-$3000 these days?

The only failure I had was the tooth fracturing under the crown. That required an entire new prep and crown. I still have the old crown and should look into selling it -several years ago it was estimated at $50-70 and I'd guess more now with inflation. All my molar crowns are gold.. if my tooth underneath doesn't fail they should last my lifetime.

Brush and floss kiddies... all my adult issues have been due to the sodas and poor habits as a teenager. Unfortunately, they didn't manifest until after I was off the parental dole! Fortunately/unfortunately ($$$), everything has been fixed over the last 15 years and my hygiene is pretty impeccable now... makes visiting the dentist much more pleasant.

Do you need every molar, I be tempted just pull it and be done with it? A crown has to be $2000-$3000 these days?

Unless you then want to replace it with an implant. Then you have the cost of the extraction, the implant AND the crown that goes on top of the implant.

DW had the extraction a couple of weeks ago and the bone graft just a few days ago. 2 more steps to go....

Cheers

Depends on the location of the tooth. I'm missing a few back wisdom teeth because they had to be extracted over the years (decay too bad to save). Never had a problem. OTOH, what I've been told about gaps in between teeth is that the teeth on either side shift to fill in the gap and everything gets out of alignment. I've had to live with a missing molar or two while waiting for implant sites to heal and it impedes chewing and puts a lot of stress on the other side of my mouth (because I shift everything there) and on the adjacent teeth (because they have no support on the side with the gap). I wouldn't want to go that way for years although I know many people do.

I have some crowns that are 35 years old and still going strong. I have only had a couple come off. In one instance it was a newer one and they cleaned the area and glued it back on.

I had another that the issue was the tooth underneath and they had to start over and I ended up with a new crown.

I've had a couple of crowns and a bridge come off. Dentist told me to put them back on to prevent the other teeth from moving (it can happen in hours to days.) I got to see him each time within 48 hours and he re-cemented them. Lasted for many more years. YMMV

I have 11 crowns and any one of them could break, they're very old. I'm just waiting for that to happen.

Don't buy gummy vitamins. What was I thinking? I don't even floss up around any crown - I pull through. Have to wait for an appointment bc new dentist but he will glue.

Don't buy gummy vitamins. What was I thinking? I don't even floss up around any crown - I pull through. Have to wait for an appointment bc new dentist but he will glue.
I've had one crown come loose. Luckily, I didn't damage any teeth by biting down on it in a mouthful of food. Doc said many of them are swallowed. This was a gold molar crown.

After it was reset, I asked the Doc about flossing there, since I was a bit leery, thinking that maybe the floss coming up out from between the teeth may have been snagging it over time, loosening it.
He said no, not flossing properly is a bigger concern. Said that it is important to floss that tooth-to-crown parting line. Do not want decay starting there, as it can run down inside that area. The need for two of my crowns was because of bacteria with resultant decay, that entered on old filling-to-tooth parting lines. Insidious!

Back
Top Bottom