Dentist Insurance

Discounts are a good option for most people. You don't necessarily need to negotiate one; some dentists sell a package deal with cleanings and x-rays for 12 months for a set fee, and as a "member" you get some money off on other stuff. Another discount option is to buy into a discount deal (Aetna has one called Vital Savings, but there are many). This gets you a price list similar to what insured patients get, I think. The problem is that your dentist probably doesn't accept it, so you'd need to change dentists. Another option is to get your cleaning and x-rays with whatever dentist sends you the post card in the mail. Just don't give them your cell phone number or good email address if you never want to go back. Finally, if you have a costly bunch of work, you might combine it with a trip abroad, where they have high quality dental available at lower costs.

My dentist offers an annual plan for something like $99, or $149 for two/family. Includes very discounted cleanings and exams, and insurance-comparable rates for crowns/implants etc. That's our plan starting next year.

Yes, the many discount plans (AMAC has a good one) are worth a look, if and only if you don't care what dentist you go to. I really like my dentist and his entire staff (will be a sad day for me when he inevitably retires) even down to the fact they run a small TNR cat colony in the park their office is embedded in the approach road to. So, will stick with them, and may or may not, pending more research as i mentioned in my first post, either go with the UHC plan or self pay with discount.

Back in my working days, I had good dental coverage which was crucial because I quite a bit of dental work in the last 19 of the 23 years I worked. It was mainly fillings, exams, and X-rays, but in those last few years I had 2 crowns and 2 extractions. When I was on COBRA in the last 17 months of working (I had reduced my weekly hours worked to 12 and became ineligible for group health coverage), I made sure to keep the dental because I knew I would be having those 2 extractions.

Since 2009, when I have been without dental coverage, I had figured out that if I had 2 exams, one set of X-rays, and around 1-2 fillings every year, the cost of the insurance plus deductible was nearly the same as going without the insurance. And that was all I ended up paying for, until last year when I needed an inlay which cost me $700. Still, that's one moderately costly event in 8 years, not a big deal. Knock on wood it stays that way.

Does anyone have an recent experience with the cost of wisdom teeth extraction? We too have no dental coverage. I took DS to the orthodontist yesterday to pick up retainers (braces came off last week yay!). The orthodontist said that next summer DS needs to get his wisdoms pulled and 2 of them are impacted (ugh). So wondering if the cost of a dental policy for 1 year would be worthwhile compared to the cost of oral surgery without.

I seem to recall that someone with kids back when I was at mega corp actually had their child's wisdom tooth extraction done under their medical plan, not dental. So, if you have HC coverage, I would try to find out if that is possible.

On the other hand, a second opinion may be warranted. Wisdom tooth extraction was done routinely a generation or two ago, then not so much now. I have never had mine done, but do recall a couple times a dentist telling my mother i should, including one who claimed they were "impacted". Now my parents were not the most attentive, and we had no HC or dental coverage, so unless I was screaming or bleeding, nothing would be done. Obviously, i survived. So, definitely would start with second opinion before doing the procedure, however you end up paying for it.

I would recommend getting wisdom teeth out...

I use to have near perfect teeth... a great bite.... did not go to get wisdom teeth out in time and they pushed my teeth out of place...

AND, all were impacted... the two bottom teeth grew into the jaw where they had to cut the surrounding bone to get them out...

As always, YMMV...

My DH had the same issue as Texas Proud. After a bunch of orthodonture as a kid, he went to college and his wisdom teeth started to come in. His parents didn't want to pay for the extraction, but when he said the teeth they'd paid so much to fix were moving, they made the appointment. His front teeth now overlap a tiny bit because the wisdom teeth weren't removed in time.

Does anyone have an recent experience with the cost of wisdom teeth extraction? We too have no dental coverage. I took DS to the orthodontist yesterday to pick up retainers (braces came off last week yay!). The orthodontist said that next summer DS needs to get his wisdoms pulled and 2 of them are impacted (ugh). So wondering if the cost of a dental policy for 1 year would be worthwhile compared to the cost of oral surgery without.

IIRC, it was about $2000 with dental and health insurance for 4 teeth. I would get a high plan. My kids teeth were impacted too but the dentist was excellent.

Both of my kids have them removed. I'm glad I did while they were on my plan. Plus if you don't remove them in time, when you remove them, it could damage some facial nerve, may not have feeling in some area.

Last edited:
Thanks and some great advise. As for wisdom teeth I am very glad I got mine out as a young person.

Both of my kids had 6 wisdom teeth, so I have more experience with tooth extraction than I bargained for.

The younger one is the more interesting story. Had them out under an Obamacare plan...covered by insurance!! Came in just days under the age restriction.

The older one had five of the six out back when the braces came off. They had to dig them out and she swelled-up like a chipmunk. That was way too early!

The younger one, I said "you let me know if the retainer starts to get tight and we'll talk about wisdom teeth". The retainer was a perfect fit for many years. In fact, it still fit fine when she was almost age 19, but they were breaking through her gums and she said it was bugging her. All six popped out easily, no swelling. 2@$305, 2@$360, and 2@$530, plus general anesthesia.

Be aware that some health plans can also cover some dental work. I found this out with my BCBS coverage when I needed dental surgery. Worth checking!

Both of my kids had 6 wisdom teeth, so I have more experience with tooth extraction than I bargained for.

The younger one is the more interesting story. Had them out under an Obamacare plan...covered by insurance!! Came in just days under the age restriction.

The older one had five of the six out back when the braces came off. They had to dig them out and she swelled-up like a chipmunk. That was way too early!

The younger one, I said "you let me know if the retainer starts to get tight and we'll talk about wisdom teeth". The retainer was a perfect fit for many years. In fact, it still fit fine when she was almost age 19, but they were breaking through her gums and she said it was bugging her. All six popped out easily, no swelling. 2@$305, 2@$360, and 2@$530, plus general anesthesia.

What was the age:confused:

DD is 13 and they said she is too young to get them out as they have barely formed... they want to wait until they have roots to keep them from 'spinning'.... yes, that is what they told me....

The first kid had hers out at age 15. That was the "too early" one, IMHO. The ortho and dentist were cheer leading the deal. And age 15 on the second kid was when I said "no" and they came out easier with no problem with teeth shifting at almost age 19.

One of mine was before college and the other was freshman year in college.

Be aware that some health plans can also cover some dental work. I found this out with my BCBS coverage when I needed dental surgery. Worth checking!

Thanks for that tip. Someone else mentioned that yesterday so I got on the phone today to Kaiser. Even though kids policies include dental, it is bare bones cleaning & films from low tier Delta Dental practitioners and does not cover wisdom teeth. I might be afraid of the Kaiser dentist in all honesty.

I'm glad to hear from others that the cost is not astronomical. I was envisioning a fee similar to the cost of braces. Also thankful that the orthodontist gave me a year's advanced warning so I have time to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom