Dexa Scan: Osteoporosis

txtig--did your doctor recommend increasing calcium and Vit D also, or was the thought that the testosterone improvement would help bone structure?

My PCP does a lot of detailed labs on me every year and he has me on quite a few supplements, including Vit D, but not calcium. My PCP and endocrinologist both think that maintaining a normal testosterone level will eventually arrest the bone density loss.

My PCP does a lot of detailed labs on me every year and he has me on quite a few supplements, including Vit D, but not calcium. My PCP and endocrinologist both think that maintaining a normal testosterone level will eventually arrest the bone density loss.

My wife is on Prolia, an injection every 6 months, and that has helped her osteoporosis.

DW has osteopenia and high blood calcium. She doesn't tolerate Fosamax or similar, so we are still working through treatment options. She was advised by her docs to do the recent dexascan using her wrist for the test. Both docs involved recommended this. Can't exactly suggest why or how it differs, but apparently it is more reliable in determining bone loss for some reason. Will see her docs soon to go over results. Not sure the "wrist" thing is for everyone so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom