Dexa Scan: Osteoporosis

pacergal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Had a Dexa scan this week, results are in and Dr wants to see me asap. I have an appointment tomorrow. I had a dexa scan about 10 yrs ago and everything was "fine" then.

I suspected results would show high risk, I am allergic to milk and still get gastric symptoms with Lactaid. I have never been a milk drinker all my life, or much dairy due to this. Cheese, yogurt, I can tolerate as long as I don't eat daily. I don't really like soy/oat/ or other "milks", I just don't like the taste or mouth "feel" of them, silly, I know.
I do eat Fresh fruits.veggies, esp brightly colored ones--peppers/greens/carrots/broccoli, etc.
Non smoker, very low alcohol. Do drink Coffee 2-3 cups a day, but no pop.
I take some Vitamins D and calcium, but obviously not enough.
Do walking for exercise, no wieghts.

I expect to be put on a prescription, otherwise she would have just told me to up my OTC Calcium and Vitamin D.
I will have more info tomorrow.
Have had Hyst. so can't take HRT.

Anyone with info on real life experience with meds/treatment, pros/cons?
I did the search and read the one forum thread for Osteoporosis that came up.

Thanks in advance!

Following. My last scan showed some calcium loss. I am allergic to diary so I take Calcium and Vitamin D but if I take too much it upsets my stomach. I do lift some weights.

My DW has severe osteoporosis from age (76) and too much prednisone (steroid) over the years. At first, her Doc put her on Forteo injections for 6 months and now she is on a Prolia injection every 6 months. Seems to help her as no more broken vertebrae from bending over (boy that was a mess).

My mum is 75 and has been doing the annual Prolia shot for years. She mentioned recently that her bone density is actually improving lately.

She eats a lot of dairy (breakfast is yogurt, etc.).

One of the reasons I lift weights is to avoid/reduce my risk in the future.

I have bone loss, osteopenia for about 20 years now. I had been taking calcium and d supplement but they seem to do nothing. A year ago, I just started adding Vitamin D and K2 to my daily regimen and I will see what my next Dexa Scan show.

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 2 years ago. I am fairly similar to you on eating habits.

First - do not necessarily increase calcium. There are downsides to calcium supplementation.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stay...m_medium=pressrelease&utm_campaign=womens0815

Personally I record what I eat each day in MyNetDiary which includes tracking my calcium. I decide on a daily basis whether to take a calcium supplement for that day based upon my intake that day. I have low Vitamin D so take that regardless.

FWIW, my doctor has never once encouraged me to talk calcium (but has Vitamin D). Initially I was prescribed alendronate (brand name is Fosamax) which is the cheap generic drug that doctors often start with. Some insurance plans may require it unless there is some reason not to.

I took alendronate for a year or so. While it seemed OK at the time (you have to remain upright after you take it for a period of time), I developed difficulty in swallowing. My throat had narrowed a bit. I had an endoscopy and the doctor recommended I take a medication that did not require swallowing.

My regular doctor then put me on Prolia which I have had 2 injections of so far (it is taken every 6 months). I've had no problems with Prolia at all. I haven't yet had a bone scan since I started. Probably will do so later this year.

My osteoporosis is mild and I have had no fractures from it.

FWIW, I had several years of osteopenia in bone scans before it progressed to osteoporosis. My mother does have osteoporosis also. Family history does play a part.

I was prescribed Fosamax about 3 years ago and took it only for 6 months as it aggravated my acid reflux.

I have had osteopenia for several years. I take Vitamin D daily and do step ups and calf raises daily.

I was prescribed Fosamax about 3 years ago and took it only for 6 months as it aggravated my acid reflux.

Yes. In my case I didn't even know I had acid reflux until I did the endoscopy. It gave me swallowing problems. Since I switched to the Prolia it really helped a lot.

I had a Dexa Scan after breaking my hip in a bike crash a couple of years ago. I have osteopenia. I have since been diagnosed with Parkinson's which is known to be associated with bone loss. I am taking calcium supplements but plan to talk to my docs about whether I need follow-up scans to see how things are progressing.

I had a Dexa Scan after breaking my hip in a bike crash a couple of years ago. I have osteopenia. I have since been diagnosed with Parkinson's which is known to be associated with bone loss. I am taking calcium supplements but plan to talk to my docs about whether I need follow-up scans to see how things are progressing.

I have been taking calcium supplement for years and it does not seem to help. Recently I have been reading that taking Vitamin D3 + K2 may be more effective in building calcium in bones. I just started this new regimen about 6 months ago.

I have been taking calcium supplement for years and it does not seem to help. Recently I have been reading that taking Vitamin D3 + K2 may be more effective in building calcium in bones. I just started this new regimen about 6 months ago.
I am also taking them.

This probably isn't something people want to do just for osteoporosis, but I believe estrogen plays a big role in keeping our bones healthy, so if you're on estrogen therapy, the chances are good that your bones are in pretty good shape. Just my opinion. Also, strength training is supposed to prevent bone loss.

I suspected results would show high risk, [...] I will have more info tomorrow.
Have had Hyst. so can't take HRT.
Personally, I'd be waiting for the results and the doctor's suggestions but like you, doing a little research before hand. I was interested though why you said that because you have had a hysterectomy that you can't have HRT? Unless it was related to an estrogen dependent tumor, I thought that this would actually make you a better candidate for HRT. Though there is much less enthusiasm for HRT than there was before the Women's Health Initiative study was published it is still a risk-benefit proposition. I think current recommendations are negative on using for osteoporosis prevention alone.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be waiting for the results and the doctor's suggestions but like you, doing a little research before hand. I was interested though why you said that because you have had a hysterectomy that you can't have HRT? Unless it was related to an estrogen dependent tumor, I thought that this would actually make you a better candidate for HRT.
I agree. With hysterectomy, just taking estrogen does not increase any risk, unless there is a history of estrogen-positive breast cancer. It is progesterone that increases uterine cancer risk plus heart problem etc. After I had my ovaries removed (wrong diagnosis of a health problem - ovaries turned out to be very healthy), I went on estrogen and I have been on it for 7 years. There are many good things about estrogen - slows down thinning bones and skin, it protects the brain of postmenopausal women from schizophrenia. When I turn 65, I will have a review with my doctors to decide whether estrogen has detrimental effects then and if I should stop.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments.

Appt was this am. She did spend some time talking about "older women, hip fractures and spending a year in nursing homes and higher risk of not coming out". Lovely. Why is it you turn 65 and all of a sudden scare tactics seem to be the best medicine?? I already knew this, have seen it repeatedly in my nursing career.

Sorry ,I had a moment of Brain fog--I can't take progesterone, but estrogen is ok.. I do have estrogen cream, and doc said to make sure I keep it up.
She prescribed Fosamax to try.
We reviewed Calcium supplements, and I need to make sure I get at least 1200mg daily, esp since I don't tolerate dairy. Possibly since I have not been high in calcium intake all my life, she wonders if I never got a good bone density to begin with as a child. have only had one fracture in my life.

One problem is that I take Omeprazole to reduce gastric reflex which I have mildly but irritates my Schatzki ring (band in esophagus) and we want to decrease risk of esophageal cancer. Omeprazole is known for sucking calcium from bones!
So, now we take prescription to counteract another medication which helps another problem:facepalm:

I will start the new med, add a bit more calcium, Vit D and K via diet and supplements and see how I do. Keep up the walking, I do have some hand weights for now.
Plan another Dexa scan in five years.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks again. This Forum is so helpful!

Estrogen cream does not get absorbed into the body, it just helps with lubrication and softer skin where applied. Ask about 1mg Estradiol tablet.

One problem is that I take Omeprazole to reduce gastric reflex which I have mildly but irritates my Schatzki ring (band in esophagus) and we want to decrease risk of esophageal cancer. Omeprazole is known for sucking calcium from bones!
So, now we take prescription to counteract another medication which helps another problem:facepalm:
Oh this is my mum too! She also has to take some bloodwork every year to qualify for the Prolia, I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's to make sure she's not blowing off the easy stuff (like vitamins and diet) since the Prolia isn't meant to replace them so much as enhance. But anyway, she's on both of those meds and does fine with them together.

From what I've read, at least in the US, estrogen/hrt therapy isn't viable for someone who didn't start it soon after menopause. You can't opt to go on it 10+ years later (and the cream doesn't count).

Estrogen cream does not get absorbed into the body, it just helps with lubrication and softer skin where applied. Ask about 1mg Estradiol tablet.

Oh this is my mum too! She also has to take some bloodwork every year to qualify for the Prolia, I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's to make sure she's not blowing off the easy stuff (like vitamins and diet) since the Prolia isn't meant to replace them so much as enhance. But anyway, she's on both of those meds and does fine with them together.

From what I've read, at least in the US, estrogen/hrt therapy isn't viable for someone who didn't start it soon after menopause. You can't opt to go on it 10+ years later (and the cream doesn't count).

Yes, thank you.
Estrogen cream is about all I am able and willing to take. Family history of breast cancer, uterine cancer. I have had a (luckily, non cancerous) lump removed and spots they are watching.

to counteract another medication which helps another problem:facepalm:

I will start the new med, add a bit more calcium, Vit D and K via diet and supplements and see how I do. Keep up the walking, I do have some hand weights for now.
Plan another Dexa scan in five years.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks again. This Forum is so helpful!

Do you have osteopenia or osteoporosis? The 5 years between Dexa scans seems odd for me. I've had them mostly every other year for years starting with when I first was diagnosed with osteopenia. Waiting 5 years just seems really odd, particularly if you are taking Fosamax.

With your acid reflux please keep an eye on the Fosamax (alendronate). After about a year of taking it I found it caused me swallowing and reflux problems which is why I went to Prolia. For someone with bad enough reflux to be on regular medication I would talk to my doctor about Prolia as an option.

It isn't for that reason. Prolia reduces blood calcium level so before having an injection that check your level to make sure it is adequate enough for you to have the injection. In my experience having a high enough level of blood calcium for this didn't require any kind of extraordinary diet. I don't eat a lot of dairy and do minimal supplements and have had no problem meeting the required blood level.

Katsmeow--
thank you
bone density level is Osteoporosis in both hips, very close (very high level/osteopenia) in femur and others.
Dr did bring up Prolia and others, and we discussed pros/cons of all.
I am willing to try the fosamax to begin with and she asked me to check in frequently on reflux. If it gets worse, we will switch right away. I really didn't have much reflux to begin with, it is more to decrease any reflux to reduce esophageal irritation/risk of cancer.
My guess is the five years is to check on medication reaction, as that is the recommended time limit to be on fosamax. If anything warrants concerns, we will do one sooner.
Our hope is to slow the progression and build up some better bone density.

I’ve been on Fosamax four 4 years after being diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I’m small boned bone, but have always been very active. I was on tetracycline for about 20 years and was diagnosed with Celiac which they say may have contributed. Most of the bone loss in my hips. My last Dexascan was in December 2020 (after 3 years on Fosamax). My bone density has improved significantly with my hips barely in Osteopenia range now. I will be taken off Fosamax in January 2023 after 5 years (65th birthday). I don’t take any other medications, but take a multiple vitamin and D, B, zinc and magnesium. I was just told to stop taking calcium as I get at least 1200 mg from my daily diet. I exercise 6 days/week Strength, cardio, plyometrics and flexibility. I’m very active outdoors as well (backpacking, cycling, climbing, XC skiing, golf, etc.). I do drink 1-2 cups of coffee most days and enjoy wine several times a week. I have 3 sisters and their bone scans have all been good - no issues.
I’m excited by the good progress and look forward to getting off the weekly Fosamax.

Good luck. It seems Fosamax and exercise helps :)

Thank you, Dog, Good to hear!

Seems like most of the osteoporosis sufferers here are female. I’m male in my late 60’s and was diagnosed with osteopenia (bordering on osteoporosis) a few years ago. My doc ordered a bone density test after I flunked my testosterone test, which revealed a severe testosterone deficiency. I’m on weekly testosterone injections now, which have brought my t-levels into the normal range, but my bone density has continued to gradually get a bit worse. Will be getting another bone density scan in a couple of months and hoping my numbers finally start improving.

txtig--did your doctor recommend increasing calcium and Vit D also, or was the thought that the testosterone improvement would help bone structure?

Back
Top Bottom