Did Your Parents Tell You That You Are Allergic To Penicillin?

Here's what happened to me in December 2017.

Bad cold in early December that lingered and lingered. The day after Christmas I awoke with fever, chills, horrible body aches and a headache like I've never had before.

Went to doctor and he said it was a severe sinus infection. Asked if I was allergic to penicillin (as yet untested, I said yes). Had I been able to say, no, he would have given me a penicillin-based antibiotic. Instead he gave me Levaquin.

Three days into the 10 day course, my legs started hurting and cramping. On the fourth day I could barely get out of bed (I normally walk 2+ miles a day, BTW). I was having a not so uncommon reaction to the Levaquin. I was lucky as in 3 months, my leg pain was finally gone. Many patients end up with ruptured tendons and surgery. Google Levaquin and you can see the many horror stories and class action suits.

But for penicillin allergy patients, Levaquin is the antibiotic of choice for pneumonia and severe sinus infections. Had a known I was not allergic to penicillin I would have been given an antibiotic with far less risk.

If I were you I would get tested....and maybe look for a new doctor. Bad advice IMO from yours....too flippant.

I kept trying to tell my doctors it's not just me! With me it was Ofloxacin and cipro. (And baytril the veterinary equivalent I got from eating chicken!) With me the effects went beyond pain and it took over five years for the pain, numbness, tingling etc to go away.

Be advised: If in the next few years you are diagnosed with a wide array of endocrine abnormalities, it's the Levaquin talking. All the possible damage has not manifested itself yet.

Back
Top Bottom