Do you believe in taking Vitamin?

Still on the fence whether to take my doctor recommended Ocuvite for my eyes.

If you take vitamins, be sure to test them by dissolving them in a mixture of water and white vinegar. I tried this test with all my vitamins and my Puritan’s Pride multi-vitamin failed :( miserably.

Vitamins are designed to supplement the foods you eat to provide the nutrients that might be missing from your diet. Unfortunately, not all vitamins are created equal, and some do not dissolve easily. If a vitamin does not dissolve, it will pass out of your body before you have fully absorbed the nutrients. You can test your vitamins at home by dissolving them in water mixed with vinegar to mimic the acid in your stomach.

Step 1

Fill a clear drinking glass with ¼ cup white vinegar. The white vinegar will create an acidic environment similar to your stomach.

Step 2

Mix in 1 cup of hot tap water. The hot water will heat the vinegar close to your natural body temperature and dilute the vinegar.

Step 3

Drop the vitamin into the water-vinegar mixture. Gently swirl the glass to mimic the churning action in your stomach.

Step 4

Let the glass sit and observe the status of the vitamin. The vitamin should start breaking down within 45 minutes and should fully dissolve within 2 hours. Vitamins that take longer to dissolve are not getting fully absorbed into your body.

I am a retired pediatrician, so take away what you will. I take vit d and fish oils, though the data is inconclusive.
A d since I have had gout I take turmeric, vit c, and black cherry extract, though the data isnt great.
However ever since I started the cherry extract my tooth sensitivity to cold is gone.

DH was recently diagnosed with Hemachromatosis (iron overload). We had recently switched docs due to our ACA plan. Our new doc took a more proactive approach to a "high" on standard blood test, whereas our prior doc had always been more..."eh...that's a bit high but you have no other symptoms so we'll just keep an eye on that."

Good thing she was more insistent and more thorough, sent him to a hematologist and yup the ferritin test confirmed everything. DH will now be going to donate blood at least once a quarter, and should be fine from that, and of course will now monitor and avoid things like multi-vitamins.

Every "Men's" multivitamin I've ever seen has 0% iron. Was he taking yours?

If you take vitamins, be sure to test them by dissolving them in a mixture of water and white vinegar. I tried this test with all my vitamins and my Puritan’s Pride multi-vitamin failed :( miserably.
I don't think the test you describe is likely to be very accurate. Stomach acid has a pH of about 1.5. Vinegar from the store has a pH of about 2.8 (so, it is much less acidic than stomach acid). Then, your procedure calls for adding 4 times more water (pH of 7) to the vinegar. It's going to be much, much less acidic than a typical human stomach at that point.

Last edited:
I've been taken prescribed Vit D along with over the counter daily Vit D per my doctor. I also take Vit B over the counter because as we age many people need more B vitamins. Another doctor suggested that I take a basic complex vitamin. He told me to purchase whatever was at Costco. Both acted ethically. Sounds like your MD has a conflict of interest if they want you to purchase through their office. They may be a fantastic MD but I would go elsewhere for my medical guidance since I would have a problem with their ethics. I work in a medical field and from Day 1 it is instilled in us to keep a clear boundary with things like that.

No vitamins. My cardiologist strongly advised against them because they thicken the blood. Not good for someone with potential cardiac issues. Vegetables yes. Vitamins no.

Vitamins are good for you when your nutrition plan does not supply enough vitamins. If you eat well you do not need vitamins. I personally take a multivitamin because why not. It is believed to only help. A nutritionist said that multivitamins are processed vitamins (there is some truth to this).

There is also a company called US Pharmacopia (USP). They leave their logo on vitamins/supplements that actually have what they say they have in them. Supplements are not backed by the FDA so seeing a USP logo is a solid sign that the vitamin is what they say it is.

This post does not know your personal health issues and I am not a doctor.

Just a note on the conflict situation. You all realize that a lot of Drs own radiology centers, surgical centers, labs and let’s not forget the pharmaceutical industry perks or those of the medical implant makers. And don’t even get me started on those Drs that are associated with hospitals. And, just because the conflict means that insurance pays more so some how that doesn’t effect you, that doesn’t mean it’s not a conflict.

Let me know when you find a Dr that doesn’t have a conflict.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is very important and most people are probably deficient due to lack of time in the sun and the use of sunscreens.I believe in getting what I need from eating right but vitamin D will not be efficiently supplied from food.

I only take a multi vitamin for women over 55 and I do take vitamin D3 as per my doctor because my levels were low. That's it. And I take generic.

Vitamin D is very important and most people are probably deficient due to lack of time in the sun and the use of sunscreens.I believe in getting what I need from eating right but vitamin D will not be efficiently supplied from food.

This. I also take D because my bloodwork showed a deficiency. I dabble in other herbal supplements occasionally for perimenopause symptoms, but only magnesium has really helped, which may be a sign I am deficient there as well.

I’ve never encountered a doc that sold supplements in their office, so that’s interesting to me to learn.

Well I am definitely finding a new doctor. Besides the sales aspect I just feel she isn't following standard care based on my age. At 52 she hasn't even asked if I have had a mammogram let a lone done a breast exam. Colonoscopy or stool test? nope. Seen me naked in over a year and 4 visits? Nope.

My 19 yo DD also saw her. Had her go gluten free and recommended over $240 worth of vitamins at her last visit. Mom/me made DD go back and return hem. DD was so embarrassed she found a new doctor already. Although she swears the gluten free diet helps her stomach.

I have always been anemic and have ostearthritis. I take iron pills and calcium/d/magnesium supplements.

I don't use doctors that sell stuff. conflict of interest

Yes, definite

Yes, I take a specific and selected set of vitamins. Although I am not in medical field, (I’m a degreed engineer) I have made a personal study of nutrition,supplements, and their impact on health for over 18 years. I continue to do so, making this an academic, not “pop” science pursuit. I read the underlying studies, I indendently assess how well they’ve been done, I flush out the problems in what have mostly been epidemiological approaches. I have overwhelmingly concluded that 1) nutrition is one of the 4 items that drive human health, and along with sleep is likely by the most important (the other 3 are excercise, sleep, and stress). 2). General guidelines on diet and supplementation from both the government and most medical professionals is wrong. In fact, most everything from those sources we’ve been told is wrong (follow the money, I suppose). 3) and therefore the standard American diet (the “SAD” diet) is our biggest enemy, from the process foods, processed oils, high amount of refined (actually, any) grains, and focus on reducing fat (essentially creating “foods” that are essentially science experiments — what exactly is “low fat cream cheese anyway?”); and 4) and that most sources of the real food we do eat (meats, vegetables) are deficient in basic nutrients due to the agricultural and animal husbandry processes that are followed, and depletion in those nutrients (i.e. magnesium) from the soils. That’s a long way of saying, YES, we need to supplement. The basic “starter kit” that I may suggest without getting into dosages (you’ll need blood testing to confirm for most) is Vitamin D3 (most North Americans are deficient). Select D3 vs. other forms, and you were paying way too much to your Dr. It is very inexpensive provided by various quality companies; Omega 3 Essential Oils, likely in the way of “fish oils” or “krill Oil”. These need to come from a reputablae source, and properly manufactured. These conditionally essential, meaning your body likely can’t adequately make them from land based varieties, and unless you eat sufficient seafood (which has its own issues due to sourcing and mercury) you aren’t getting them from your diet; and lastly a very good multivitamin that does NOT include synthetic versions of Vitaming E (all of the 8 types) or the B vitamins. This multi will likely NOT be just one pill a day, and definitely won’t be any of the brand names I see listed in some of the other replies. Do your own research on brands. Your health is the most important factor, and since health expenses in retirement are such potential large cost and impact on quality of life, why WOUDN’T you focus on nutrition, sleep, stress, and exercise? And oh yeah — ditch the specific doctor you have - she has a conflict of interest in selling you her own expensive vitamins......But similar like minded doctor that is interested in helping you holistically is the way to go, IMO.....

People should do their homework and/or consult their doctor before taking vitamins. Some vitamins may have a side effect and some people may even have an allegy reaction.

If you have a balanced diversified diet, you may not need vitamins. On the other hand, you may need vitamins if you go on a diet. For example, if you do not eat dairy products or drink milk then taking a vitamins that normally are in dairy products may be a good idea.

I did read that some studies indicate that Vitamin C can reduce the severity of the flu. I started taking Vitamins C and when I do get the flu, I noticed that my fever and recovery time is much less than before.

My doctor noticed that I have "dry eye" and he recommended taking fish oil tablets. Afterwards, I noticed that I have been using artificial tears less.

Keep in mind that what works for me....may not work for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom