Do you take low dose aspirin?

I'm type 2 diabetic, first diagnosed in the 90's. I'm currently 73 and have been on low-dose aspirin (doctor's strong suggestion) for at least 25-years. No obvious side-effects. My dad died from a massive heart attack when he was 48.

Yes, I take low-dose aspirin (81mg) daily at the order of my cardiologist. I am 75 and have been taking it for at least 7 years since my cardiac arrest. I am still alive.

I have taken a baby aspirin since I had to have a pacemaker put in 5 years ago at age 49.
I think it is to prevent clots related to the pacemaker leads in my case.

My wife got a pacemaker about 5 years ago too. A few months later she got a blood clot in her arm. She had to perform injections in her stomach (don't recall the med), took warfarin, and have her blood tested regularly. Eventually her doc replaced the warfarin with full strength aspirin as a blood thinner so she wouldn't need the regular blood tests. She already has acid reflux problems and the full strength aspirin aggravated her situation. She asked her doc and was switched to low dose aspirin instead. I assume she will always need to take it to help prevent clots.

DH had 3 TIAs between 55 and 67. After no 3 he followed his drs recommendation and started taking a daily aspirin. No other side effects but more bruises so far.
Taking it or not has its risks for him.
But I do not take it "just in case".

Not doctors advice but I take vitamin K2 and that keeps any bruising at bay

I also take the 81mg aspirin and Xeralto because of having two stents in my heart and very occasional episodes of afib. I don't like it but it's better than the alternatives....

Yeah, there are great reasons to take the low dose.

What we're seeing here with this question's result is the pivot away from routinely suggesting it for those with low risk and no previous events.

Yes, I take the low dose aspirin daily along with Xarelto, a blood thinner, to reduce the probability of heart attack/stroke. . I've had a stroke following CABG (bypass surgery) that took about a year to recover from. Turns out the heart problems were minor compared to the impact on my quality of life following the stroke. I'm cleared to train for a marathon if I so desire (but at 70+ the joints won't allow that to happen). But I have returned as a AARP Tax-Aide.

Last edited:
No, I don't take low dose aspirin because my doctor has never suggested it.

Maybe it's coincidence, but I don't know any women whose doctors have suggested low dose aspirin. Just men, lots of men. Don't know why but maybe it's more helpful for men than women?

No, I don't take low dose aspirin because my doctor has never suggested it.

Maybe it's coincidence, but I don't know any women whose doctors have suggested low dose aspirin. Just men, lots of men. Don't know why but maybe it's more helpful for men than women?

Women already take aspirin for their daily "scheduled headache".:LOL:

I take an 81mg tablet per my cardiologist. I was given a cardiologist 15 years ago, when my PCP found out I had good insurance. He also suggests fish oil; I ain't dead yet.

Reactions: W2R
I also take the 81mg aspirin and Xeralto because of having two stents in my heart and very occasional episodes of afib. I don't like it but it's better than the alternatives....

Interesting. I was told NOT to take aspirin (or any NSAID) because I take Xarelto.

Interesting. I was told NOT to take aspirin (or any NSAID) because I take Xarelto.

Me too, although Eliquis in my case. Not supposed to take any NSAID. Too bad, since ibuprofen was my go-to drug for back pain.

I don't like to waste things so I'm finishing up my supply. Although low dose aspirin seems innocuous I was surprised to see the magnitude of the harm. Look at figure 3 in this link if you want more details

https://www.uspreventiveservicestas...-cardiovascular-disease-preventive-medication

This is just for primary prevention and not for people who have had MI, stroke, or another specific condition. It is consistent with the NHS recommendation. Presumably if your doctor is telling you to take it there is a reason.

I don't like to waste things so I'm finishing up my supply. Although low dose aspirin seems innocuous I was surprised to see the magnitude of the harm. Look at figure 3 in this link if you want more details

https://www.uspreventiveservicestas...-cardiovascular-disease-preventive-medication

This is just for primary prevention and not for people who have had MI, stroke, or another specific condition. It is consistent with the NHS recommendation. Presumably if your doctor is telling you to take it there is a reason.

FYI: people can also skip to the absolute end of the article at this link, and it provides a nice summary of positives and negatives.

Since my family has a history of colorectal cancer, I thought I was getting a second benefit. That recommendation is now more fuzzy.

Aspirin does more than prevent clots. It also reduces inflammation. Inflammation has become an important aspect of risk for heart disease and cancers.

The good news is besides aspirin, one can reduce weight, exercise, eat right, keep their teeth clean, and so on to help reduce inflammation.

I take 81 mg every third day but not for one of the usual reasons. About 20 years ago I began having episodes of scintillating scotoma. I thought aspirin might relieve them and it did (though I have no idea of why this may be). I've tried stopping the aspirin multiple times and the episodes begin to recur when I do.

I take 81 mg every third day but not for one of the usual reasons. About 20 years ago I began having episodes of scintillating scotoma. I thought aspirin might relieve them and it did (though I have no idea of why this may be). I've tried stopping the aspirin multiple times and the episodes begin to recur when I do.

Wow, that's interesting!

I had an episode of those about 8 years ago. It happened after a period of too much alcohol intake and severe stress (death of parent).

They stopped when I limited alcohol and stress. They didn't come back after getting rid of aspirin.

Not saying aspirin doesn't help. Very interesting it helped you, that's cool.

I contacted my doc and he confirmed I should stop taking the daily aspirin on my 60th birthday in November. I read some (old) articles online warning about abruptly stopping aspiring, so I figured I would reduce my aspirin to three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) to taper off slowly and allow my current supply to last until my birthday.

My 88yo MIL took baby aspirin for years, and her PCP suggested she stop because the risk of stomach bleeding was greater. She had a cerebral event a month later and never recovered.

As far as I can determine, the greatest risk with aspirin usage is G.I. bleeding. I have been on aspirin for going on 20 years. Although I've not had a cardiac event both parents did and my mother also had a stroke. I've had a cousin die of colon cancer and ever since I started getting colonoscopies at age 50, I've had two or more polyps (possible precursors to cancer) removed every time.

Because of my achalasia, I've had multiple endoscopies over the past few years and each one has shown no evidence of ulcers/bleeding. Because of my achalasia, I may be more prone to esophageal cancer but that risk is offset by what will likely be for me regular endoscopies that can catch and treat conditions that are precursors to that cancer. Plus data suggests that aspirin usage itself may reduce the risk of G.I. cancers: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/aspirin-linked-to-fewer-digestive-tract-cancers

Considering all that information, I believe it behooves me to continue with the aspirin regimen. My G.I. docs and my PCP are aware of my taking low dose aspirin and have never suggested I stop. This is not to suggest that others do what I'm doing but I think each of us has to evaluate the risk/benefit ratio of taking low dose aspirin based on our own individual health situation.

I don't recall whether doc recommended ASA (81mg) or I just started taking it and told him about it. In any case, he doesn't comment on it. I have CAD, so it would seem like my risk/benefit ratio would favor ASA (81). I worry about "brain bleed" but more about MI, so there you go. None of us gets out of here alive. Name your poison (heh, heh, I don't use alcohol which has been shown - in moderate doses to either help or hurt cardio-vascular disease.):facepalm:

My 88yo MIL took baby aspirin for years, and her PCP suggested she stop because the risk of stomach bleeding was greater. She had a cerebral event a month later and never recovered.

Are you suggesting she should have kept taking the aspirin? Kinda sounds like she would have lived longer by taking it. And, according to many here, perhaps with Vitamin K2 for the bleeding.

Didn't have enough of a risk to take it prior to 60 and don't take it now. Have cut down NSAIDs dramatically since retiring 10 years ago. Way less aches and pains.

Me! I started taking it about 8 months ago when I was 68. Recommended by my cardiologist. I am taking it because of my increased risk of heart attack. My calcium scan was over 600 putting me at the 95th percentile for my age, gender. I had an angiogram and have 4 blockages none bad enough to stent.

So far, I have no side effects from the aspirin.

Reactions: W2R
Took 81mg for about a decade, stopped a year or two ago. I mainly just did it, Dr was indifferent but recently said recommendations have changed. Apparently when you get to 60s risk of falling / head injury /bleeding is greater.

I used to have GERD. Stopped aspirin and also lost weight. GERD gone. Not sure which helped or both.

My recollection of reading about aspirin is it does reduce heart attacks, but it doesn’t reduce fatal heart attacks nearly as much, and there is offsetting risk of bleeding stroke, so it is only recommended for people that are at significant risk of heart attack.

Crazy, just last week at my stress test my cardiologist told me to take a baby aspirin once a day.

Back
Top Bottom