Do you take low dose aspirin?

No, I don't take low dose aspirin because my doctor has never suggested it.

Maybe it's coincidence, but I don't know any women whose doctors have suggested low dose aspirin. Just men, lots of men. Don't know why but maybe it's more helpful for men than women?

I read an interesting article several years back regarding women and heart disease. The "thrust" of the article was that doctors tend to treat and try to prevent heart disease in men much more than they do women. WHY? Women present with heart disease at almost the rate of men BUT they present 10 or 15 years later due to (probably) the protective effects of their female hormones. Women also present with heart disease with more diffuse symptoms than men (no idea what the article suggest as the reason for this.)

In effect, the article suggested that many docs simply treat men and women differently when it comes to heart disease. This is a potentially serious issue within the medical community. NOW, perhaps we are 10 years past that article (or more) and it's possible that the medical community is "catching up." I do know that DW's cardiologist treats DW just about as "intensely" as she does me - even though DW's basic issue is paroxysmal A Fib (it comes and goes infrequently.) Cardiologist slapped both of us on Eliquis the first time we saw her. (Imagine our combined drug bills!!):cool:

I take 81mg ASA and doc(s) are okay with that even though I take Eliquis. No idea if that is a good idea or not, but I'm assuming my docs are flipping a mental coin on this subject, but YMMV.

Reactions: W2R
My Father had 2 strokes at 65 and my GP told me at that time if I took a baby aspirin a day I would never have a clot type stroke but a bleed stroke would probably kill me. I decided it was a good trade off and took the baby aspirins for over 25 years and then my current GP told me a couple of years ago that I shouldn't take them. About 7 months ago I had a mild clot stroke and among other things the doctors put me back on a baby aspirin. I have wondered what if I never stoped. My wife says the stroke was a good early warning because in all the scans they did to see why the discovered I needed a triple bypass an a few other things that I have been checking off.

I’m post heart attack and have genetic tendency for blood clotting - cardiologist insist I take it.

I did for years then I stopped when I read it’s not a good idea. Don’t know what to think about these things anymore.

At age 78, I've been on 81mg aspirin for about 15 years, as suggested by PCP back then.
Now the recommendations have changed, and I would not be recommended to start now.
When I asked our current PCP if I should stop or continue, she says there are no good studies on what happens when people stop aspirin after being on it for years. She doesn't make a recommendation either way. I do have some risk factors but no red flags.

Are there studies or other evidence that she doesn't know about, regarding people like me continuing on aspirin or not?

At age 78, I've been on 81mg aspirin for about 15 years, as suggested by PCP back then.
Now the recommendations have changed, and I would not be recommended to start now.
When I asked our current PCP if I should stop or continue, she says there are no good studies on what happens when people stop aspirin after being on it for years. She doesn't make a recommendation either way. I do have some risk factors but no red flags.

Are there studies or other evidence that she doesn't know about, regarding people like me continuing on aspirin or not?

I'm in your age group and have been taking aspirin for more than 10 years. I'd like to know too.

Even with Eliquis AND 81mg ASA, my blood "gels" as soon as it hits the air. I don't know if that's good or bad. I just hope it doesn't do that in my arteries and veins.

Oddly enough, I was recently being given an ultrasound, looking for blood clots in my leg, following a knee injury (a fall.) No clots found BUT, when the tech turned me on the gurney, the side rails had rough places and I tore open the skin on my arm. I didn't even notice it. When we were all done, the tech announced that I had no blood clots in my leg. That's when I noticed the cut with the blood running down my arm. I asked her "What about this clot" as the blood had gelled. She was speechless.

I didn't know that the proper procedure to deal with such a significant cut was to hand the patient a paper towel and then a Bandaid. I guess it is, though YMMV.

Female here, and I’ve been on low dose aspirin for at least 15 years. My dad and brother both died from heart attacks and my sister had a stroke. I’ve had multiple stress tests, etc. because I have left bundle branch block, but I’ve never had an actual cardiac event. My PCP originally had me start the aspirin, but my cardiologists have had me remain on it. I know the pros and cons, and I do wonder if I’m doing the right thing.

Yes...and I will take it forever. Here's a bunch of benefits based on real peer reviewed studies aspirin – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Same here. I have read all the studies also, and I plan to take one forever also. Not sure if this is in your list of studies or not, but low dose aspirin has also been shown to reduce the risk of stomach/colon/prostate cancers. Here is one study on that:https://www.mdanderson.org/publicat...se-aspirin-cancer-prevention.h20-1589046.html

I didn't know that the proper procedure to deal with such a significant cut was to hand the patient a paper towel and then a Bandaid. I guess it is, though YMMV.

Wonder what they billed you for that! :D

Female, age 70. BP low end of normal, for which I take no credit- that's just what it is.

I asked my cardiologist if I should be taking low-dose aspirin and he said no. It's just as well- every time I donated blood or plasma I'd have to remember to discontinue it a few days before.

It's a blog I follow by a guy who looks at studies, He has several on aspirin. I love his analysis. aspirin – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Thanks for the link. This guy does have some really good information, not only on aspirin, but lots of other things. Based on the studies he cites (and one study in particular - that daily aspirin intake is associated with a significant reduction in all-cause mortality), I think I may up my aspirin intake to two low-dose pills daily, rather than one. I'm not worried about stomach bleeds at that dosage, especially since I take the aspirin with meals.

Thanks for the link. This guy does have some really good information, not only on aspirin, but lots of other things. Based on the studies he cites (and one study in particular - that daily aspirin intake is associated with a significant reduction in all-cause mortality), I think I may up my aspirin intake to two low-dose pills daily, rather than one. I'm not worried about stomach bleeds at that dosage, especially since I take the aspirin with meals.

Are you talking about the ICU study he cites?

I take one because my blood clots like crazy. Just doesn't seem normal. I'm not a doctor I only play one on TV but bleeding helps clean the wound. Without baby aspirin if a get a shot I don't even need a bandaid they just clot instantly. I've had some nasty cuts that got infected (i believe) since it clotted so quickly. I now let them bleed and painfully scrub with rubbing alcohol and since have had no issues.

Dr. Wally

I go back and forth on it. I had a heart attack a few years ago and started taking it, but then read some things about it not being good for you. But now I see in this video that Peter Attia takes one (but highlights its more risky for older people!). I'm 60 - and don't know if I should take it or not (i.e. heart attack vs being old).

https://youtu.be/TFr3Dmq3uEw?si=N3Jkii89IWGoAAxK

Edit: The baby aspirin stuff is around the 5-minute mark of the video.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on it. I had a heart attack a few years ago and started taking it, but then read some things about it not being good for you. But now I see in this video that Peter Attia takes one (but highlights its more risky for older people!). I'm 60 - and don't know if I should take it or not (i.e. heart attack vs being old).

https://youtu.be/TFr3Dmq3uEw?si=N3Jkii89IWGoAAxK

Edit: The baby aspirin stuff is around the 5-minute mark of the video.

I always come back to: Find a doctor who knows your complete medical situation (and said doctor is one you trust) and do what s/he says. It's rarely one size fits all when it comes to such things but YMMV.

Female here, and I’ve been on low dose aspirin for at least 15 years. My dad and brother both died from heart attacks and my sister had a stroke. I’ve had multiple stress tests, etc. because I have left bundle branch block, but I’ve never had an actual cardiac event. My PCP originally had me start the aspirin, but my cardiologists have had me remain on it. I know the pros and cons, and I do wonder if I’m doing the right thing.

It's hard to know. Some people are just looking for a magic bullet. I think this is pretty balanced.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/hea...ke aspirin?,which aspirin has been prescribed.

Interesting that neither the American College of Cardiology or American Heart Assoc. recommend aspirin for primary prevention for anyone over age 70

It's hard to know. Some people are just looking for a magic bullet. I think this is pretty balanced.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/hea...ke aspirin?,which aspirin has been prescribed.

Interesting that neither the American College of Cardiology or American Heart Assoc. recommend aspirin for primary prevention for anyone over age 70

I take low dose aspirin and am not quite 70 yet. I haven't had a heart attack or stroke. However, I have had an angiogram and know I have 4 blockages including a 60% to 70% one in my LAD. My blood flow was not bad enough to need a stent but given this my then cardiologist felt it was right for me. DH is in his mid-70s and an unrelated lung scan showed calcified plaque in his arteries even though his LDL was under 100. He also takes aspirin given this (and a statin). But, he has a bad family history.

We recently moved to a new state and we have appointments with a new cardiologist in November. Will be interested to see if he has any other thought on this.

I take low dose aspirin and am not quite 70 yet. I haven't had a heart attack or stroke. However, I have had an angiogram and know I have 4 blockages including a 60% to 70% one in my LAD. My blood flow was not bad enough to need a stent but given this my then cardiologist felt it was right for me. DH is in his mid-70s and an unrelated lung scan showed calcified plaque in his arteries even though his LDL was under 100. He also takes aspirin given this (and a statin). But, he has a bad family history.

We recently moved to a new state and we have appointments with a new cardiologist in November. Will be interested to see if he has any other thought on this.

A lot of people are walking around with 60-70% obstruction without any idea :) Still since you know and you have a cardiologist's recommendation it seems prudent to follow that.

Its pretty common to see a lot of coronary artery calcification on CT scans in older folks but I'm not sure what it means.

A lot of people are walking around with 60-70% obstruction without any idea :) Still since you know and you have a cardiologist's recommendation it seems prudent to follow that.

Like me a year ago! Had no clue at all. But I think overall I am glad to know so I can do what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom