Do you like eating Spam ? DW and I argue about Spam

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I like eating Spam luncheon meat sometimes, maybe once a month.
At certain point I stopped for months now, because DW keeps telling me it's processed food.

Well, I just read an article (link below) says it has 5 ingredients - (1) ham&pork shoulder, (2) salt, (3) sugar (a little), (4) water and (5) sodium nitrate (preservative) to counter any bacteria. Basically, it's pork ham & shoulder in a can. Historically, it's called Spam for 'spiced ham', and has been the food staple of the US army and Hawaiians. One 85 yr old guy says he eats it weekly.

Healthy benefits of SPAM - Daily Dose with Jack Harrison - Official Site | Daily Dose with Jack Harrison - Official Site

I read that if any food has more than 5 ingredient, it is processed food. So, Spam does not fall in that definition of processed food. I also like to occasionally buy and eat a corned beef brand from New Zealand called 'Palm', because it only has 4 ingredients (beef, water, salt, and sodium nitrate). I will never eat something with monosodium glutamate. And I think New Zealand beef is one of the best quality beef, probably better than Australian beef.

Do you meat eaters eat this stuff ?? :LOL:

Last edited:
So, I like eating Spam luncheon meat sometimes, maybe once a month.
I'll go through a can of Spam probably about every couple of months.
Sliced thin and fried in butter, it's wonderful with eggs, or in a sandwich.

I will never eat something with monosodium glutamate.
I sprinkle MSG on lots of food. I've done so since I was a little kid, at which time I used to just pour a bit into the palm of my hand and lick it up.

Attachments

• MSG2.JPG
    MSG2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 15
  • MSG1.JPG
    MSG1.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 16
Back on topic, I have eaten Spam. It was okay, but didn't strike me as anything great. Beats starving to death I suppose.

((( peaking out from behind the corner where I'm hiding in shame )))

I love spam. We'll dice up a can and brown it - then mix it with eggs - about 1x month.

It's full of fat, salt, and yumminess. I'm not found of it straight from the can (though as a child I would eat spam sandwiches.) But grilled up. Yum.

The only thing we ever (very occasionally) do with Spam is something my dad learned to make when he was in the Air Force and in Guam.

It's basically ground beef, diced Spam, fried rice and scrambled egg, with a little soy sauce and seasonings. We add some garlic and minced onions, too.

The only thing we ever (very occasionally) do with Spam is something my dad learned to make when he was in the Air Force and in Guam.

It's basically ground beef, diced Spam, fried rice and scrambled egg, with a little soy sauce and seasonings. We add some garlic and minced onions, too.

I have a friend who was born in Guam, his mother is Guamanian (dad was US born and caucasian.) He claims that spam is the national food of Guam. They have more flavors and types there than anywhere. He has his cousins ship him some of the ones he can't find stateside.

I guess the nature of living on an island is why it's so popular in Guam and Hawaii.

Every time I go camping, at least 1 breakfast is spam and eggs. Heck, it's easy to throw in the grocery bag, doesn't have to be refrigerated, and tastes pretty good. For the 3 or 4 times a year I have it, I'm not going to worry about the salt.

When I was a kid, my Mom would make us fried Spam sandwiches and macaroni & Cheese for dinner. This was a cheap meal and we loved it. I tried eating the same meal as an adult but I hated it. I haven't eaten Spam since and hate it.

I've managed to give up Spam entirely. It was hard, but not quite as hard as giving up smoking. Now I will be dreaming about Spam after reading this thread.:facepalm:

I like Spam, sliced and fried in a sandwich. But I very rarely eat it--less than once a year. I don't know why, other than no one else in my family cares for it. Maybe I'll buy a can to eat the next time DH travels for business.

Oh no :facepalm: sorry. It's just that we went to Costco yesterday and saw the 8 cans of Spam had a $5 discount and wanted to get it because it's been months since I had one, but DW said No. So I did some research.:LOL::facepalm:

I've managed to give up Spam entirely. It was hard, but not quite as hard as giving up smoking. Now I will be dreaming about Spam after reading this thread.:facepalm:

Back in Hawaii, my mother used to fry either spam or ham with fresh pineapple, local bananas, and eggs together in a skillet for breakfast.

BTW there is plenty of real ham available on Oahu. There are lots of pig farms all along the base of the Pali (mountains), or at least there were 50 years ago. Still, it's a bit expensive. Also there are wild boar throughout the rain forests, huge ones, much to the delight of local hunters. Bake one all day in an imu for a luau.

For years I couldn't stand fresh pineapple - - it was 2 cents/pineapple back then on Oahu, and we had fresh pineapple for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.... Ugh. :sick:

As for the spam, it just wasn't as good as real ham IMO. I don't buy it now, although I don't know why not. I don't hate it. I just think of it as fattening and full of preservatives. I try not to eat anything with nitrates if there are alternatives easily available

Last edited:
? You know what they do with expired Spam
A. Nothing it doesn't expire!

I am recently off my blood pressure medication. Doc says fine, no spam for you! Too much sodium.

However the ingredients are fitting the definition of "processed food" you're using. I know that stinks, everyone knows what processed food is when they see it.;)

Ingredient

Pork, Water, Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size:*1 pkg (71g);*Servings:*1

Calories:*210 ;*Total Fat:*18g (27.69);Saturated Fat:*7g (35);*Cholesterol:*50mg (16.67);*Sodium:*830mg (34.58);*Total Carbohydrates:*2g (0.67);*Dietary Fiber:*0g ;*Sugars:*1g ;*Protein:*9g ;

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-single-classic

? You know what they do with expired Spam
A. Nothing it doesn't expire!

I am recently off my blood pressure medication. Doc says fine, no spam for you! Too much sodium.

However the ingredients are fitting the definition of "processed food" you're using. I know that stinks, everyone knows what processed food is when they see it.;)

Ingredient

Pork, Water, Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size:*1 pkg (71g);*Servings:*1

Calories:*210 ;*Total Fat:*18g (27.69);Saturated Fat:*7g (35);*Cholesterol:*50mg (16.67);*Sodium:*830mg (34.58);*Total Carbohydrates:*2g (0.67);*Dietary Fiber:*0g ;*Sugars:*1g ;*Protein:*9g ;

SPAM® Single Classic | SPAM® Brand

Hmmm....low carb Spam....Maybe I'll.....well...no.:facepalm:

Well occasionally, I also open a can of Tuna or a can of Chicken breast chunks for protein, but it does not taste great either.

Spam, if I fried it, with blackened edges, it taste great :LOL:

Back on topic, I have eaten Spam. It was okay, but didn't strike me as anything great. Beats starving to death I suppose.

Y'all made me hungry for some ham. Didn't have any Spam on hand but did have some sliced ham from the deli. A good bit of that is, as I write, sliced & diced mixed in with some eggs and onions, and to top off the omelet will go a large measure of cheddar cheese.

Oh, and I am going to just have to order some of this:

Attachments

• bacon_spam.JPG
    bacon_spam.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 13
I used to love opening the can but haven't had Spam since I was a child. My recollection was that I really liked it. May have to try it again!

SPAM is great! I'd go back to church and start taking Holy Communion again if it had a slice of SPAM on it.

Back before I had to stop eating intense carbs I invented a new oriental dish: SPAM fried rice!

I think the Mark of Cain against SPAM is as someone mentioned it's highly high in sodium. Also, the pork and ham also includes a ton of FAT! It's like salami or baloney. Fat is used as an extender. If you have no problem with those two things I really don't understand what people have against it

I had to stop eating it because there is an antibiotic I have had an adverse reaction to that has a veterinary equivalent and if I eat meat from an animal that's been given that drug I will get bad reaction to it. So I limit my animal flesh to organic , wild, or otherwise verifiable as not having received antibiotics

Now, if they came out with organic SPAM .....

We use to eat it a lot more than we do now. We would take it camping and have it fried with eggs or snack sandwiches around the camp fire. We have it in our survival pantry for emergencies.

I love spam but don't have it very often because dietitian DW will not allow it in the house (but I sneak some in every once in a while). One of our local diners serves fried spam and eggs for breakfast and I get it often.... yum!

I recall having fried spam sandwiches when I was a kid. Loved those.

SPAM is great! I'd go back to church and start taking Holy Communion again if it had a slice of SPAM on it.

I think the Mark of Cain against SPAM is as someone mentioned it's highly high in sodium. ...

LOL funny. Yeah, the ones I buy are the low-sodium spam. Definitely less salty.

I'm sure it would be great if one day - they will have "Organic Spam" or "Grass-Fed Spam". DW likes grass-fed beef.

I buy organic sausages, so DW does not complain. I'm sure she'll eat organic Spam lol :D

I think of it as processed as it is not the real meat... IOW, it is ground and then shaped into what fits in the can.... kinda like most of the deli meat that you buy... it is not what comes off the animal...

It might not be the correct definition, but since there is something else in there besides meat, it is not the same to me...

NOW, when we were young we had spam all the time (we were poor)... mom used to slice it, put brown sugar and a slice of pineapple on top and bake it in the oven.... was actually pretty good from what I remember...

Back
Top Bottom