Do you take low dose aspirin?

Cardiologist who put in my stents, and the two cardiologists I have had since then have all encouraged me to take 81mg ASA daily. Good enough for me. Risk vs benefit!

Recent article titled "The Saga of Aspirin in Preventing Heart Disease"

"...A landmark study...in the New England Journal of Medicine reported an astonishing 44% drop in the number of heart attacks among US male physicians aged 40-84 years who took aspirin...Aspirin subsequently became a daily habit for millions of Americans...But in 2018, three studies (ASCEND, ARRIVE, and ASPREE) showed a stunning reversal in the purported benefit...The calculus for taking aspirin appeared to have changed dramatically: The drug decreased the risk for myocardial infarction by only 11% among study subjects, while its potential harms were much more pronounced...patients taking low-dose aspirin had a 58% increase in their risk for gastrointestinal bleeding compared with those not on aspirin, as well as a 31% increased risk for intracranial bleeding...decline in effectiveness of aspirin in preventing heart attacks to other "primary care interventions that help reduce the cardiovascular disease risk in patients who haven't had a heart attack or stroke."...a newer class of drugs may provide a safer replacement for aspirin...P2Y purinoceptor 12 (P2Y12) inhibitors are effective in lowering the risk for heart attack and stroke in patients with acute coronary syndrome...the findings come from trials of patients who already had CVD, so results cannot yet be extrapolated to primary prevention...The new evidence led the USPSTF to publish new guidelines in 2022, downgrading the recommendation for low-dose aspirin use for primary prevention..."

I have been taking low dose asprin since the 1980's. Actually it was not a cradiologist who suggested it but the doctor in NYC who used to do my colonoscopies. He said he believed it may prevent colon cancer. In any case, I have had no negative side effects from taking it.

I've been taking a daily low-dose aspirin for 10+ years, and plan to continue. I am 68. I reviewed all of the studies related to aspirin before I started taking it, and decided the potential reward was greater than the risk. By the way, there are many studies supporting the use of daily low dose aspirin to reduce risk of colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, and some other cancers. That was a factor in my decision to take it. Prostate cancer tends to run in my family, so I try to do what I can to avoid having that problem myself as I get older. So far, so good. I have never had any bleeding issues with taking aspirin. Aspirin for Colon Cancer Risk Prevention

"...A landmark study...in the New England Journal of Medicine reported an astonishing 44% drop in the number of heart attacks among US male physicians aged 40-84 years who took aspirin...Aspirin subsequently became a daily habit for millions of Americans...But in 2018, three studies (ASCEND, ARRIVE, and ASPREE) showed a stunning reversal in the purported benefit...The calculus for taking aspirin appeared to have changed dramatically: The drug decreased the risk for myocardial infarction by only 11% among study subjects, while its potential harms were much more pronounced...patients taking low-dose aspirin had a 58% increase in their risk for gastrointestinal bleeding compared with those not on aspirin, as well as a 31% increased risk for intracranial bleeding...decline in effectiveness of aspirin in preventing heart attacks to other "primary care interventions that help reduce the cardiovascular disease risk in patients who haven't had a heart attack or stroke."...a newer class of drugs may provide a safer replacement for aspirin...P2Y purinoceptor 12 (P2Y12) inhibitors are effective in lowering the risk for heart attack and stroke in patients with acute coronary syndrome...the findings come from trials of patients who already had CVD, so results cannot yet be extrapolated to primary prevention...The new evidence led the USPSTF to publish new guidelines in 2022, downgrading the recommendation for low-dose aspirin use for primary prevention..."

Good link. People want to believe in aspirin so facts are just part of it. I noticed that the USPSTF guidelines talk about initiating treatment. Probably if you are a professional it's unwise to strongly suggest stopping. Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Thanks for the site. Very interesting read. As usual, lots of apparent equivocation. When we have "on the one hand" and then "on the other hand" it takes a lot of statistics to know which way might be the best way to go. For instance: Lower heart attack risk vs higher brain bleed risk. How does that translate to death and/or disability?? That's what I want to know in evaluating risk vs benefit. Brain bleed is (I think) a lower risk in general than MI. So lower MI risk vs higher brain bleed may STILL be the better risk vs benefit calculation. I don't know and don't know how to figure it since the data isn't included (heh, heh, full disclosrue - probably wouldn't know what to do with the data etiher.)

BUT, both my PCP and my cardologist are recommending the low-dose ASA for me and I'm 77. I'm sure they've read all the newest literature on this subject. Heh, heh, if I don't show up here some day, you might speculate that they were both wrong. :cool:

Thanks for the site. Very interesting read. As usual, lots of apparent equivocation. When we have "on the one hand" and then "on the other hand" it takes a lot of statistics to know which way might be the best way to go. For instance: Lower heart attack risk vs higher brain bleed risk. How does that translate to death and/or disability?? That's what I want to know in evaluating risk vs benefit. Brain bleed is (I think) a lower risk in general than MI. So lower MI risk vs higher brain bleed may STILL be the better risk vs benefit calculation. I don't know and don't know how to figure it since the data isn't included (heh, heh, full disclosrue - probably wouldn't know what to do with the data etiher.)

BUT, both my PCP and my cardologist are recommending the low-dose ASA for me and I'm 77. I'm sure they've read all the newest literature on this subject. Heh, heh, if I don't show up here some day, you might speculate that they were both wrong. :cool:

But here's the thing, the linked article doesn't apply to you at all. It was for primary prevention, that is folks without MI or cardiac intervention like stents. You're a smart guy but you didn't catch that. That's the problem with acting on the basis of internet discussions. Also the folks who are the least informed tend to be the most adamant :)

Back
Top Bottom