Dukan Diet anyone?

Low carb without fat is like sex without -- you know.

Fat doesn't make me fat. If it did I wouldn't be skinny.

Low carb without fat is like sex without -- you know.

Fat doesn't make me fat. If it did I wouldn't be skinny.
Al, you have always been thin. What made you move to the low carb diet? I have also always been thin, and in my case I moved to the low carb diet trying to keep sub-diabetic A1c's. I'm in my 14th year, and every year I shave off a little more carb from my intake.

Ha

True, I've never had a problem with weight, but a few years ago I weighed 175, and today I weigh 154.5 pounds. I had tried unsuccessfully, mainly through exercise, since age 25 to lose that roll of fat above the belt.

I do low carb because:

1. I was curious about why we have an obesity epidemic, and my research led me to the conclusion that it's caused by overconsumption of carbs, and that humans are not "designed" (by evolution) to eat a lot of carbs.

2. My blood glucose was a little higher than I'd like, with a 5.6 A1C. My older sister is pre-diabetic.

3. I wanted to make it easier to ride up hills on my bike. Cheaper to lose 10 pounds from my body than buy a 10-pounds-lighter bike ($3,000).

4. I wanted to support Lena, who wanted to lose some weight.

5. Vanity. I want to look good and never have to suck in my gut.

True, I've never had a problem with weight, but a few years ago I weighed 175, and today I weigh 154.5 pounds. I had tried unsuccessfully, mainly through exercise, since age 25 to lose that roll of fat above the belt.

I do low carb because:

1. I was curious about why we have an obesity epidemic, and my research led me to the conclusion that it's caused by overconsumption of carbs, and that humans are not "designed" (by evolution) to eat a lot of carbs.

2. My blood glucose was a little higher than I'd like, with a 5.6 A1C. My older sister is pre-diabetic.

3. I wanted to make it easier to ride up hills on my bike. Cheaper to lose 10 pounds from my body than buy a 10-pounds-lighter bike ($3,000).

4. I wanted to support Lena, who wanted to lose some weight.

5. Vanity. I want to look good and never have to suck in my gut.
Thanks for the answer. Your (A1c) status is identical to mine. My brother who has been diabetic since he was 35, on low carb now has a 5.2 with no meds at all. Prior to low carb he took a salad of oral meds and struggled to keep his A1c in the mid 6s. He went on low carb when I was staying at his house. His wife had recently died, and he really had no idea how to cook. So I cooked, and I only cook low carb. I taught him how.

A month later he called me with the story that he had been eating at some grill where he found he could get low carb easily, and he crashed to the floor and only regained conscousness in the ER. A month of low carb had improved his glucose status to where his oral meds alone gave him extreme lows.

I have no doubts at all that if diabetes, or a predisposition to diabetes is part of the picture, low carb and correct exercise are the royal road to improvement.

Also, I second the vanity factor. Men are easily as vain as women ever were. At the gym, I see a lot more guys preening in front of the mirrors than I see women doing so!

For sure I want to look good, and the older you get the more that desire can be pretty well satisfied (in many women's eyes) just by having a trim and athletic physique, standing up straight, and keeping your teeth in good shape. :) I know that we are not supposed to care what impression we make on others, but it is gratifying to me to merely walk down the steet and be able to read approval in some faces.

Ha

We started the diet on May 10. DH is down 12 pounds fron 200 and me just 6 pounds from __. This diet is not for the faint of heart, very rough. I don't think we will make it much longer and will probably switch to Weight Watchers for the long haul. The Dukan diet is too restrictive and meat is becoming sickening. All that COOKING/GRILLING is also becoming too much.
Bingie, hang in there, I am on day 16 and 15 lbs down and I feel absolutely great. I agree the meat starts to get old but here are a few tricks.

Use the oat bran as a filler. I put about 4 oz of crumble hamburger 7% and get it almost done but still a bit juicy and then add in the cooked oat bran and it makes a mush. I add salt and pepper and it's filling and tricks my brain.

I grill my chicken thighs 6 at a time with Creole seasoning and get them charred on the outside on a grill but not 100% done. Then I nuke a couple and put Frank's Hot sauce and that is a great spicy lunch.

Hang in there, the weight loss is amazing. I'm in Cruise Phase and added a salad and sauteed veggies on my mixed days.

Slowed to less than 1 lb a day but my abs are starting to show for the first time in 10-15 years.

Worth the pain.

I think I will give this a try in late June when hubby is away on his fishing trip- or he will think he can eat all the meat he wants plus everything else! I am having a hard time finding the oatbran however- local stores do not seem to carry it...

Will probably use it as a kick start, and switch then to something more balanced.

Would love to hear more how Zero and Mmm Rrr are doing on the diet!
Bizlady, if you have a Whole Foods they have Red Mills Oat Bran. But you are right, it's not in very many stores which surprises me.

If you do the diet, try staying on the 100% protein Attack Phase for at least 5-6 days and you should drop a lot of weight depending on where you start from. That gave me so much incentive. I hit the first 10 lbs loss within 8-9 days and I was sold.

My issues:
For some reason, for about 2 days my breath was different and not pleasant. Also seemed like I had BO, even though I spend lots of time in the Pacific Ocean each day. Strange that it was just the couple of days.

I felt a bit tired on the first 2-3 days, and seemed to have a very, repeat very, mild headache a couple of the early days.

After about the 5-6 day, I cannot remember feeling better in quite a while.

The diet is a real regime and the payoff is a nice/quick weight loss.

I'm going to give this some serious effort and see if I can tolerate the high protein. As it is, I just eat veges and fruits and carbs, very little meat. But I need to lose weight very badly and I'm willing.

So, I was wondering if you all think I could substitute ground flax seed for the oat bran? or maybe half and half?

I'm going to give this some serious effort and see if I can tolerate the high protein. As it is, I just eat veges and fruits and carbs, very little meat. But I need to lose weight very badly and I'm willing.

So, I was wondering if you all think I could substitute ground flax seed for the oat bran? or maybe half and half?
Yeah, you can substitute the flax seed. His purpose for having the 1.5oz of bran is to give the dieter just a bit of carbs to satisfy the craving. Originally that was not in the diet at all.

So yeah I'm sure it would work. He suggests making a small pancake of the oat bran and I actually made a flapjack with it and used it like a totilla for a couple of meals.

My take is this. I tried every diet method know to mankind. Eating Weight Watchers, 1200 calories diets, vegetable heavy diets, etc. Most lasting two-three months and I lost 4-5 lbs.

Dukan, zing, 15 lbs in just over 2 weeks and I can tell it came right off the fat areas. That part is so obvious. Had a small pillow of fat on my belly, and it's gone.

For some reason, for about 2 days my breath was different and not pleasant.

This is a good thing -- an indicator that you are in ketosis, and burning fat instead of carbohydrates. Many say that drinking a lot of water will reduce or eliminate this side effect.

I've been using the Ketosis measuring strips and so far the reading have been in the "moderate" region.

Seems the key to this diet is getting the fat burning for energy and not having any fat intake. Sort of like eating you own body.

Another 3/4 lb loss this morning and I can tell weight loss has slowed to less than a pound a day now for about 3 days.

My take is this. I tried every diet method know to mankind. Eating Weight Watchers, 1200 calories diets, vegetable heavy diets, etc. Most lasting two-three months and I lost 4-5 lbs.

Yeah, me too. Diets only work if you can stick with them. For example, one diet allowed six ginger snaps as a snack. I wasn't able to stop at six, so that diet failed for me. My sister doesn't like the idea of Dukan (or Atkins) because she thinks it's repetitive and boring. Yet she eats the same cereal for breakfast everyday, has rice and pasta with most dinners. Dukan probably wouldn't work for her.

Dukan, zing, 15 lbs in just over 2 weeks and I can tell it came right off the fat areas. That part is so obvious. Had a small pillow of fat on my belly, and it's gone.

Does your weight fluctuate a lot? On Friday, I was 150lb; yesterday 153; today 152. Most likely, it is water retention, but it happens more on this diet than others.

Snip...

Does your weight fluctuate a lot? On Friday, I was 150lb; yesterday 153; today 152. Most likely, it is water retention, but it happens more on this diet than others.

I have only had two spring backs and that was just as I started the Cruise. On the day after the veggies, I tend to gain a lb and yep, it's water.

So I started doing 2 protein days and 1 protein/veggie day. I am getting very close to my goal and will go to the Consolidation by Friday I think.

This diet works very well in the protein phase and weight came off quick but I just cannot see a woman tolerating this diet, at least none that I know.

Zero...Bizlady....somebody....please tell me about the oats...

I've been an Atkins dieter off and on but it seems that my living off of bacon and sausage some days....along with eating the skin off of the chicken 1st....will have to go with Dukan's plan...

Do you incorporate the oats in your cooking?....maybe have them for breakfast?...I did read the blog that someone here included where the blogger actually ate them right out of the bag/box and thought of them as treats!!?? Yuck....I think...

Edit ~ I went back a read the earlier posts and have concluded that I bought the wrong "oats"....Red Mill they are but I bought "extra thick rolled oats"....a rookie mistake I guess from a guy that has never even eaten oatmeal.....grits, YES....oatmeal...BLAH!

Zero...Bizlady....somebody....please tell me about the oats...

I've been an Atkins dieter off and on but it seems that my living off of bacon and sausage some days....along with eating the skin off of the chicken 1st....will have to go with Dukan's plan...

Do you incorporate the oats in your cooking?....maybe have them for breakfast?...I did read the blog that someone here included where the blogger actually ate them right out of the bag/box and thought of them as treats!!?? Yuck....I think...

Edit ~ I went back a read the earlier posts and have concluded that I bought the wrong "oats"....Red Mill they are but I bought "extra thick rolled oats"....a rookie mistake I guess from a guy that has never even eaten oatmeal.....grits, YES....oatmeal...BLAH!
VACollector, if you live in VA you will probably be familiar with corn grits, the oat bran looks identical, like coarse sand. And, the best part, treat it like grits and make it with butter, salt and pepper and it's a great side dish. Put boiling water over it and maybe nuke it for 20 seconds, let sit and ready. You can also get a recipe for a galetta and make a pancake, etc.

But my favorite is to take the oat bran, season it like grits and fry about 4oz of hamburger (7% fat) and mix them like a mush. Tastes very good.

Dukan says eat it like a sweet cereal or as a savory cereal.

I use 0% Fat Cottage Cheese, 0% Fat Greek Yogurt, and the oat bran as a way to get away from just meat.

BTWW down 19.5 lbs in 19 days.

BUT, I really hung in there with the will power. Not a lot of folks will be able to be in a situation to do that.

Way to go Zero. Nice loss! You and Banister have motivated me to get started. Grocery shopping tomorrow, and diet starts Friday!

Way to go Zero. Nice loss! You and Banister have motivated me to get started. Grocery shopping tomorrow, and diet starts Friday!

I'm in too....started today....I just need to get the right oats :blush:

Starting at 202 lbs.... looking to be south of 175 lbs but I will re-evaluate that goal as I get closer to it....

I read another blogger today who had set his goal at the 175 mark but was still uncomfortable there and he decided to drop another 10 lbs before he started the stabilization phase...

Good luck Bizlady! :greetings10:

Because of this thread, I downloaded his book and read it last week. Although I don't need to lose weight (I did his Consolidation phase for a few days (with some Fiber One added) and lost the 3 lbs I needed in a flash - which wasn't happening with the high fat /sporadic low carb diet I tend to incline to ), it is interesting to see the difference/similarities with Atkins diet, main difference being the consumption of fat. Dukan explains that it takes more calories for the body to assimilate protein than fat or refined carbs (refined carbs taking the least effort for the body to assimilate), and that's why he recommends use of protein (while restricting refined carbs and fat) to lose weight.

I don't agree with everything he writes (avoid fat for other reasons), and I will keep on eating as many eggs as I want, using butter and eat ing occasional bacon, etc, but if you are having difficulty losing weight with high fat/low carb diet, you may want to try his diet (lower fat) to see if this gets you off the plateau.

This is nothing scientific, and not totally about weight loss, but I remember Hilary Swank's interview on how she prepared for Million Dollar Baby to build muscle. In addition to the physical training, she ate tons of egg whites, drank protein shakes every couple of hours.

I just found some more about Hilary Swank's training.
How To Build a Female Boxer Body Like Hilary Swank? by MunFitnessBlog.com

Bizlady and VACollecter, I'll be pulling for you guys.

Actually, I'll post tomorrow a sample day or two of what I did and how stringent I held to it. Just as a suggestion or two in case you need a starter diet. Soul Food seasoning seemed to be a wonder drug for me.

As tmm said, it's really just Adkins without the fat and thus I think it gets the body to process it's own fat pretty early in the process.

Good Luck

Thanks Zero!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have actually done to help you stick to the plan!

Yesterday ~ I had a couple of eggs, a couple small chicken breasts on the grill and some sliced turkey breast out of the lunchmeat tray when I felt like I was looking for something else...

I went shopping this morning and bought some fish, fresh chicken breasts and some more sliced turkey....and I still need to get the oats :angel:

Today (so far) ~ a few "pulls" of chicken from the dogs roasted chicken (NO SKIN!) with my meds this AM and I just had two pieces of tilapia for lunch with a 3rd piece sitting in the pan to help with any afternoon cravings....

...and the quest continues!!

Bought my supplies this morning and found the oat bran with the oatmeal section in the store. Was surprised that the grocery bill was actually less than usual even with all the meat. That said, we have always been big purchasers of fresh veggies and fruit. Oh, I will miss my fruit! But I am ready to go in the morning!

Hey Zero :greetings10: ~ still anxious to hear your menu....

BTW ~ I just had a fresh grill cooked chicken breast for breakfast....numyummy!!

Bizlady ~ good luck with day 1!!

Hey Zero :greetings10: ~ still anxious to hear your menu....

BTW ~ I just had a fresh grill cooked chicken breast for breakfast....numyummy!!

Bizlady ~ good luck with day 1!!
Hey, sorry for the delay, I went on a trip that was supposed to be laid back but instead has turned into a nightmare. Actually had one.

VA, isn't it amazing how tasty something like the chicken can be at breakfast?

I'll give this a short one now and more later.

Grocery list.

6-8 chicken thighs, and seasoning called Soul Food (or onion, garlic, paprika powders to make your own) Coat the thighs in seasoning and put in a baggie to marinate.

7% fat sirloin burger. Possibly season it also with the Soul Food. Make 1/2lb patties shaped like Salisbury Steaks.

Containers of Oscar-Meyer Deli thin sliced turkey and also ham. These are for snacking.

Lots of canned tuna. Canned white chicken breast, etc.

0% Cottage Cheese and 0% Greek Yogurt and 0% Fat Cheese slices

Several cartons of Southwestern Eggbeaters.

-----------------------------------------
Typical day for me.
On waking: Cook your oat bran. Pour boiling water over it and then nuke for 20 seconds. Spray with fake butter, salt and pepper.

Breakfast: Omelet of Eggbeaters, put a slice of cheese over it, and have a spoon or two of you oat bran grits.

Snack: Take a few slices of deli ham, put cottage cheese on top and roll it up, spice it up with jalapeno peppers, or olives.

Lunch: a chicken thigh, best if grilled but otherwise slow fry it in Pam and when done put hot sauce to spice up. Have some cottage cheese to fill up a bit.

Snack: Put some Crystal Light orange in a cup of Greek yogurt.

Dinner: Seasoned hamburger steak patty, maybe smother with a spicy jalapeno and mustard sauce. Or with a tiny bit of catsup. etc. Or possibly, crumble the patty and mix it with your remaining oat bran grits. For some reason, that is tasty.

I promise a better menu will be out on sunday.
-----------------------------
On this trip I have not been able to follow the Dukan, lots of reasons but mainly no cooking facilities.

Much to my surprise- did loose 2 lbs on day 1.

Started the diet with my "new" morning cappucino. Cup of skim milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, one packet of artifical sweetner. Nuke it for 1 min 15 seconds, and spinkle with cinnamon.

Breakfast- was 1/2 cup 0% cottage cheese, and leftover grilled chicken (no skin-leg and thigh).

Lunch- made the oat bran pancake (not bad- can see lots of possibilities), 1 cup 0% greek yogurt with sweetner, scambled egg with 1 egg and about a 1/4 cup of egg whites.

Dinner- Generous (estimate 10 oz) serving of grilled salmon, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, glass of skim milk.

Snack midday- more yogurt with sweetner.

Did my 20 minute walk, and consumed the 1.5 quarts of water. Experienced a little dry mouth, but that was it!

I'll report back again at the end of my protein phase, which I plan on being 4 days.

bizlady, glad the first day was a good one and some incentive, sounds like you got a nice menu going.

I had the dry mouth thing for a couple of days till my body acclimated and balanced the water load.

Hope you get some nice results.

Ughhh....just finished Day 5 of the attack phase and weighed again this morning...ZERO pounds lost since my last weigh in...total of 4 pounds in 5 days...

I have decided to continue the attack phase for at least a couple more days :(

I have to admit that overwhelming hunger has never occurred...no dry mouth...no real menu problems....

I need to do better with the oats.....it's such a small amount allowed each day (1 and a half tablespoons) that it almost NEEDS to be added to something as Zero has suggested....I happen to have found that with a little salt and butter that it tastes very similar to those good old southern grits that I sooo love....and so I worry that when I fix them that way that I will be eating too much :blush:

As an evening/night time snacker/eater, any cravings for something sweet or crunchy comes then....so far so good....but DARN those M&Ms look good....and I DID have to leave the room when my DW was having popcorn night before last :facepalm:

All in all....very pleased although I have to admit to some disappointment this morning when I stepped on the scales.....

Onward and upward....uhhh....I mean DOWNward!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom