Duputyren's contracture

Emerson11

Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm having fasciectomy surgery for Duputyren's contracture that affects my pinky finger on my dominant (right) hand.. The surgeon said I should be able to care for my 100+ lb puppy within a day of the surgery. Online research makes me question that. There are pages that note the need for narcotics for pain for a week or two, plus inability to use the hand at all for weeks.

I'd like to hear from those who've had this surgery.

I have not had any procedure yet, but will look into needle aponeurotomy if I decide to have something done. From what I have read about the various procedures, NA is the easiest, least painful and fastest to heal. I have read about people having the Xiaflex injection treatment only to have it reoccur in the hand or the other hand. I've had Dupuytrens for thirteen years and have just lived with it so far.

My dad had the surgery 20 years ago at Mayo clinic. Perhaps it is different than today.

He couldn't use the hand for ten days. At about day 12, he said his whole hand basically molted. The fasciotomy creates an extensive scab on the palm. That dropped off.

After this event, he said it was like a brand new hand. He was so happy. His hand was unusable for a few years before the surgery. The pinky was completely contracted, and the next two fingers were curved pretty bad. The outcome after surgery was dramatic.

Last edited:
i was diagnosed with this in my right hand about a year ago. So far is just lump in the palm of my hand with no impact on the utility of the finger.

Hoping it stays that way!

Good luck with your surgery. Curious to know how it goes.

My DH had this surgery on his non-dominant hand two years ago. During the surgery, the anesthesiologist administered an anesthetic block that blocked all pain for a couple of days. The surgeon gave him a prescription for narcotic pain pills (don't remember what), but the pain was not enough after the block wore off that he needed the strong pain pills, and he just took extra strength Tylenol IIRC. DH was a good, cooperative patient when he went to physical therapy for a couple of months, doing all of his suggested exercises, and he has done great! Best wishes to you.

Back
Top Bottom