Broke down

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Almost level with the ground... Riding to my local mtb trails on 7/3, hit the curb and went into the sidewalk just right to blow out my acetabulum. Now almost 2 months later, traction, trauma surgery, plates and pins, I am close to being able to put weight on the leg affected. Let me tell you, this has been the single most negative thing in my life, including almost dying twice while surfing. At 71, the smart thing may be to hang up the bikes, but I am leaning towards going for the gusto into the sunset. Existential crisis but seeing the surgeon next week and getting his input. He rebuilt me because I am a young, active 71 so hopefully he says go for it, assuming I can rebuild my leg and hip back to where it needs to be. No small thing, unfortunately.

Ouch! I cannot imagine that pain. Hopefully you will continue to heal and will eventually be at least walking again! I wish you the best and am sorry you are going through this. Do you have a partner for daily support?

Almost level with the ground... Riding to my local mtb trails on 7/3, hit the curb and went into the sidewalk just right to blow out my acetabulum. Now almost 2 months later, traction, trauma surgery, plates and pins, I am close to being able to put weight on the leg affected. Let me tell you, this has been the single most negative thing in my life, including almost dying twice while surfing. At 71, the smart thing may be to hang up the bikes, but I am leaning towards going for the gusto into the sunset. Existential crisis but seeing the surgeon next week and getting his input. He rebuilt me because I am a young, active 71 so hopefully he says go for it, assuming I can rebuild my leg and hip back to where it needs to be. No small thing, unfortunately.

I don't know how breaking your acetabulum compares to breaking your hip(femoral neck) but I suffered a displaced fracture to the femoral neck and it took 5 months for me to be able to walk without a cane. Then after 2 more months I was pretty much back to normal. I had other issues later that resulted in a total hip replacement but the point is it is a long process so be patient. It may take several more months but you will make a lot more progress and should be able to get back on the bike if you want to. I now use an e bike but I ride up to 5 hours a day. I still pedal almost all the time just get some help with starting out from a stop and doing the hills. Mountain bike trails might not be a great choice though especially if you are doing jumps. Best of luck to you.

Take your time, rebuild your strength and go ride. Safely.

Just no big jumps or Supercross style mid air tricks.

I have two full hip replacements and at 79+ they improved my golf game quite a bit. Doc said no more long distance running though. And no more two wheeled things (motorcycles, bikes).

I have two full hip replacements and at 79+ they improved my golf game quite a bit. Doc said no more long distance running though. And no more two wheeled things (motorcycles, bikes).

I might experience selective deafness on that last part. :angel:

I might experience selective deafness on that last part. :angel:

Yeah, that last part was just for me. :cool:

Two + years ago, one of my best friends got cut off on his big Yahama on I-45 here in Houston and died two days later (bled out inside while in the hospital)

Seems like I've heard a similar story from another forum member recently.

Please be judicious about what risks you take. I'm 70 and I get it- I'm not ready for a rocking chair yet- but one of our most vital, active church members was still playing hockey at 70 and was checked, took a hard fall on the ice and is essentially a quadriplegic. He can operate hand controls on his motorized wheel chair and that's about it. He and his wife were avid travelers and this has changed everything.

Be careful out there.

Wow, hope you heal quickly and can get back to your biking....even if you consider doing a tamer level of biking.

Best wishes ronin.

Maybe you might also wish to consider some enjoyable alternatives?

After breaking my wrist and another time getting a concussion I only walk a few miles a day now and have purposely slowed down my speed. I got the concussion from power walking when my toe hit an extremely uneven sidewalk and I literally went flying through the air. I had trouble thinking clearly for a month and had a constant headache while trying to teach a college class.

The doctor did a cat scan because my entire face was swollen and he thought I had a brain bleed. Luckily I didn’t. 2 weeks ago I got up on a ladder to paint my balcony ceiling and decided that was also stupid and a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: W2R
Ronin,

Sad to hear about your accident. That sounds dreadful and healing takes time.

Here is wishing you a quick and full recovery.

Just turned 72 and wondering if it's time to give up cycling. I've done very little over the past few years anyway having replaced it with walking 5.5 miles a day. I've never had a serious bike accident but at this age I sure don't want one. Still it would be depressing to get rid of my bikes so will hang onto them for now.

Best wishes for continued recovery, ronin. I did in both rotator cuffs in a hard fall, but nothing like what you have experienced.

Yeah, that last part was just for me. :cool:

Two + years ago, one of my best friends got cut off on his big Yahama on I-45 here in Houston and died two days later (bled out inside while in the hospital)

Damn that is sad.

A friend of a friend of a friend is paralyzed neck down since a mountain biking accident. They say she will eventually mostly recover somehow as her spinal cord was stretched but not snapped IDK. There were broken bones of course and other serious issues.

It is amazing how much a person can survive though. Just takes some time. Mostly a lot more time than we want to give it! But you will get there too ronin. Sorry for your accident.

Last edited:
I'm still a young'un here but a limiting injury is already one of my biggest fears as an active person. Wishing you a good prognosis and recovery.

Please be judicious about what risks you take. I'm 70 and I get it- I'm not ready for a rocking chair yet- but one of our most vital, active church members was still playing hockey at 70 and was checked, took a hard fall on the ice and is essentially a quadriplegic. He can operate hand controls on his motorized wheel chair and that's about it. He and his wife were avid travelers and this has changed everything.

Be careful out there.

Wow. A lawyer I know in his 80s plays hockey & loves every minute of it -- & I get it too, it's very hard to give up something you love. All best to you, ronin, for a speedy recovery & living your best life.

Seems like I've heard a similar story from another forum member recently.

I think I Know that guy. I'm just short of 4 months and can relate to your pain and struggle. continue to heal, and live... To repair my Acetabulum they had to go in both front and back.
Remember.... The idea behind life is not to arrive at the funeral home with a well preserved body, but to skid in sidewise, slinging gravel, totally wore out screaming "Damn what a ride"

Here's to healing Ronin...You're still fairly young so hopefully you will bounce back and continue to do what you love while you still can.

From what you describe...mountain biking had nothing to do with it so in my mind that was not the cause. You were ON YOUR WAY to mountain biking and hit a curb. So stay away from those dangerous sidewalks and stay on the trails fer chrissakes!

I'm a skier, mountainbiker and motorcyclist. 64 now but I've had a string of surgeries over the last 2 years. Full ankle replacement due to a minor injury in my 30's that eventually got worse, tripped going down the stairs and tore rotator cuff, and a bad car accident that broke my wrist and hand. Had many friends/family tell me I'm getting too old to ski/mountainbike/etc. I remind them that all of my injuries resulted from things every one of us do daily...accidents happen doing the most routine things.

As we age, experience matters for those of us who continue to do 'adventure' type activities....For example, when MTBing my focus is ALWAYS 100% because I understand the consequences. I maintain my bike in top condition and choose my days based on conditions. Combine that with reducing risk by taking the "B Line" around that gnarly section or going around the "big hit". The goal is to have a great ride AND be able to do it again tomorrow.

ronin--best wishes for good health and a quick recovery.

As we age recovering our strength gets harder and harder. While I would not stress your repaired parts more than the doctor recommends, based upon my experience with a knee replacement, do as much as you can to keep get your strength back. It’s amazing how fast it drains away and how long it takes to get it back. I was struggling with things like push-ups and balance and I finally realized that doing the exercises more often was not enough. I had to up my protein intake by about 25%. That really helped. Keep as much strength as you can. It’s hard to get it back after 60.

hit the curb and went into the sidewalk just right to blow out my acetabulum.

When you say you 'blew out your acetabulum', what does that mean exactly? Multiple fractures? Where your femoral head or neck damaged?....

Back
Top Bottom