Broke down

Wilder Ranch State Park.

Attachments

• IMG_0447 (3).jpg
    IMG_0447 (3).jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 23
This is just my personal opinion based on my experience and observation. It seems pickleball is far more likely to result in injury than riding a bike. Seems like a large percentage of people over 60 playing pickleball will get an injury that required surgery whether it is a torn muscle, tendon, ligament or a broken bone.
Anything is possible. I haven't seen or heard of ANY injuries among the group I play pickleball with, but I've only played for about 6 months. Maybe pickleball injuries are more common with more advanced/aggressive players.

I've had two recent-ish crashes on my bike that cracked ribs. One of them I went over the handlebars and fortunately tucked and rolled, so I landed on my back instead of on my head -- which would have been Very Bad. So instead I "only" cracked 5 ribs. I also had kind of a freak event where I accidentally wandered into the rumble strip cut along the edge of a highway, and I was *this close* to getting thrown off my bike -- directly into the path of an oncoming car. That was too close.

Riding on bike paths is pretty safe. I do that when possible. Riding next to 5000lb behemoths is dangerous. Especially when too many drivers are paying more attention to their phones than to the road. And then there are the redneck yahoos who think it's hilarious to "brush" a biker with their pickups. More risks than I like.

Back
Top Bottom