Exercise and the Brain

Back in the 1970s, when I was running 10 miles a day, seven days a week, I recall saying to someone that I wasn't feeling too good, but that it was such a subtle deviation from the norm that, if I hadn't have been in tune with my body at the time I likely wouldn't have even noticed it; (and I was just a 'plodder' - I can only imagine how sensitive to changes top athletes are).

Just to say that, the more in shape you get, the likelihood of increased perception grows.

+1 on the more you do it and the more you get in shape, the more in tune you become.

Again, everyone is different, but I am very self-competitive and moderately outwardly competitive. I've started truly using the functionality of a Garmin multisport device and find it highly motivating in several ways:

1) Tracking PRs (personal records). There is nothing like finishing a run or ride and having it flash "new PR" on the screen. My mile, 5k and 10k run times have been steadily dropping. Also average speed and average power on the bike have been increasing.

2) Data trends -- This helps with day to day variations. Maybe I was slower today but I can see it's a blip and the overall trend is still improving. If I see a couple slow days in a row, I have to ask myself if I'm sick or need a break. If it's neither of those, maybe I'm getting lazy and need to push through.

3) Connections within the Garmin Connect -- I'm connected with friends who also work out and there is a board that shows all our activities together. If I slack off and see someone else cranking out the miles, it motivates me to get back in it. If I see someone's pace/mile dropping, it motivates me to push during my training.

4) Segments -- It shows your times and pace on the same section ranked to everyone else. Many of my common routes have 100's or 1000's of others. I like be at the top or at least climbing up :)

Again, I see a huge analogy to FIRE and this board. Number 1 is like the net worth milestones thread. Number 2 is like having Quicken or Mint or whatever net worth tracker you use. I might be down $50K today, but I just "zoom out" and look at the nonlinear upward curve and I keep investing. Number 3 and 4 are like seeing people with higher net worths or higher savings rates posting on here and using it to keep myself motivated and on track.

A big challenge I have is that I'm not very self-aware regarding how my body is feeling day to day, my mood, aches, pains, if I'm getting a bit out of shape, etc. I would never be able to tell you how a particular food eaten hours ago impacted my mood, and I doubt that I'd be able to discern a slow gradual improvement in fitness due to exercise or diet. I just go about my daily business without thinking about these things. This, combined with all the interconnected variable of exercise, diet, etc and a natural aversion to working out, makes it really hard to keep to any exercise program. If I can somehow objectively measure an improvement in brain function or fitness as a result of exercise, I'd be much more likely to stick with it. But, other than resting heart rate (which doesn't tell much, and takes a long time to change), I'm not aware of any good objective measures. Measures of performance (e.g. maximum amount I can bench press, time to run 2 miles, etc) seem to vary a lot day to day due to a variety of factors, too much to serve as a good motivator.
Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to remain sedentary, but I know I will not successfully motivate myself to spend 3-5 hours a week doing something unpleasant --maybe for decades --if I can't actually see that I'm getting something for it.

Always been a gym rat of sorts, so don't really have an aversion to "exercise". That's not to say I don't have to kick my own azz some days to make myself go...

But when I look around at many others in my age range, and note all the maladies they have and the associated pharmaceuticals they take, for blood pressure, diabetes, and such, I'm glad I somehow have stay motivated to remain active.

Really, some of that is luck of the draw, but still...

In my view, any activity is better than none.

Below is a link to a great video that demonstrates how much more "elastic" the brain of a child is over an adult, and also how with enough effort the brain can be re-trained to do something that seems impossible to do.

The Backwards Brain Bicycle - Smarter Every Day 133 / ViewPure

That is fascinating!

(Aside from the issue of what kind of corrupted pervert would make a backward-steering bicycle....:LOL:)

But it is reminiscent of when I quit smoking. After years of trying and many many attempts some switch in my head flipped and I just didn't want a cigarette anymore. No withdrawal, no desire for one, like I'd never smoked to start with. Kinda weird.

The backward bike was fascinating. Young vs. old and what becomes innate is a good study.
My psych studies centered on behavioral psychology which had more to do with physiology than psychology. In particular was in depth study and laboratory work with the subconcious mind. At the very least in the simplest mannner we looked at everyday activities and how we learn to perform without making the synapse connection. The study was made of walking traffic on crowded sidewalks in Boston, a filmed segment that we had to "parse", to see how individuals acted to avoid collisions. Most individuals would thread their way through the walking traffic, with no conscious action, no eye contact, and virtually no close calls. The pesons who were visitors were obviously uncomfortable, and very aware of the congestion.

Example of the subconscious mind and studies of automatic learning and the elasticity of the neural pathways is still a matter of some controversy in the scientific sphere. The nurturing of young babies is changing the education lanscape, and may well become the basic driver of a shift in the structure of earlier grading from pre-primary or kindergarten to theee and four year olds.

The studies present the results, but do little to explain the learning improvement that must come from subliminal factors. Language in particular has a learning curve in 4 and 5 year olds that scientists cannot explain.

A good explanation is the quantum leap in learning that has forced test managers to adjust standards upwards to equalize the knowledge base between class and age differences.

Between the tech revolution and the early exposure some scholars are looking for a sea change in (first) private education and then in the public education sphere. Perhaps as soon as 2025 or 2030.

Exercise does nothing but help your brain get more oxygen. And more oxygen to you brain results in better functionality of all your body organ including brain.

I'm very leery of the competitive mind-set in exercise. The danger of this attitude is that if/when you acquire a moderate disability of some sort [osteoarthritis, say], you may push yourself too hard and make things worse.

Amethyst

If I slack off and see someone else cranking out the miles, it motivates me to get back in it. If I see someone's pace/mile dropping, it motivates me to push during my training.

I'm very leery of the competitive mind-set in exercise. The danger of this attitude is that if/when you acquire a moderate disability of some sort [osteoarthritis, say], you may push yourself too hard and make things worse.

Amethyst
Hello...has somebody been reading my mail? :) (A buddy of mine, for some 45 years, has often said that I don't compete against others, (no interest in team sports, etc), but I sure compete against myself.......osteoarthritis in both knees BTW.)

Last edited:

Amethyst

In a sense, this is what keeps many from "exercising". Someone who has been sedentary decides to go gang-busters, gets injured, or at least gets their assets kicked, then they drop out...

This being er.org, we tend to analyze to the nth degree, trying to determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, which is fine for some. But, it seems to me, ANY exercise is better than none, and a leisurely walk or bike ride is much better than couch surfing. Sure, it may not be "optimal", according to heart rate, VO2 Max, "fat-burning" zone, or whatever anal-retentive metric one chooses...

Someone who has been sedentary decides to go gang-busters, gets injured, or at least gets their assets kicked, then they drop out...

+1

Back in the 1970s I used to use the 'Y' in Toronto (as well as running outdoors)......from the weight room we could observe the indoor track, and I can't count the number of times I watched fat newbies plod around until they almost dropped......never to be seen again.

(Never did it, but I had the urge to say to a couple of them "OK, that's enough for today...you didn't put it all on in one day and you're not going to lose it in one day"........but figured that'd be MYOB territory.)

In a sense, this is what keeps many from "exercising". Someone who has been sedentary decides to go gang-busters, gets injured, or at least gets their assets kicked, then they drop out...

This being er.org, we tend to analyze to the nth degree, trying to determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, which is fine for some. But, it seems to me, ANY exercise is better than none, and a leisurely walk or bike ride is much better than couch surfing. Sure, it may not be "optimal", according to heart rate, VO2 Max, "fat-burning" zone, or whatever anal-retentive metric one chooses...

I continue to see so many parallels between personal finance/FIRE and exercise. Some people need or want to maximize as much as possible while others need or want to be less concerned with maximizing because too much concern causes general abandonment.

Having said that, using certain types of anal-retentive metrics will address the concerns you and Amethyst have. For most beginners, wearing a heart rate monitor and properly setting up HR zones will avoid overdoing it.

Well, I personally have not been reading your mail :angel: but so much praise and admiration is lavished on athletic achievement, that it can be hard to accept that one may have been meant, athletically speaking, to be "picked last for the team. And I wasn't necessarily talking about cardio exercise. I know a 50-year-old man who admits to having "ruined" his skeleton through competitive power lifting, when he didn't really have the build for it. Constant pain is his payback for being huger than everyone else in his younger years.

Amethyst

Hello...has somebody been reading my mail? :) (A buddy of mine, for some 45 years, has often said that I don't compete against others, (no interest in team sports, etc), but I sure compete against myself.......osteoarthritis in both knees BTW.)

Last edited:
I know a 50-year-old man who admits to having "ruined" his skeleton through competitive power lifting, when he didn't really have the build for it. Constant pain is his payback for being huger than everyone else in his younger years.

Amethyst

Same 'Y', same era......guy, maybe late 50s at the time, said there wasn't one of his old weightlifting buddies that didn't have a bad back.

Serious weightlifting has been shown to significantly increase the risk of various injuries. I'm not aware of it showing any significant benefit other than cosmetics except in very niche areas (e.g., pro football players). This differentiates it from cardio. And strength training through other means such as yoga.

pro football players

I'll never forget a quote by ex-footballer turned actor Howie Long, to the effect that "Football is a desperate game played by desperate men".

I'll never forget a quote by ex-footballer turned actor Howie Long, to the effect that "Football is a desperate game played by desperate men".

I wouldn't disagree. Although any pursuit where one is in the top 0.001% or higher carries a real risk of that.

Serious weightlifting has been shown to significantly increase the risk of various injuries. I'm not aware of it showing any significant benefit other than cosmetics except in very niche areas (e.g., pro football players). This differentiates it from cardio. And strength training through other means such as yoga.

This follows what I mentioned earlier. There is no reason for anyone just interested in general fitness to try to lift as much as possible. Resistance training has many benefits; look at all the "skinny fat" folks who only do cardio...

I don't know how other people's bodies work, but this is 1000% consistent with the way my particular, individual body works. Exercise really doesn't affect my weight although what I eat does affect it tremendously. Maybe my metabolism adjusts to compensate for the exercise, but anyway exercise doesn't seem to help my weight loss at all.

I exercise whether I am working on losing weight, or whether I am not, because I want to be as strong, flexible, and capable as I can be now that I am growing older.

For me exercise is a very serious form of preparation for old age with the objective of becoming a strong, capable, independent elderly person instead of a feeble old lady. Honestly, what person over 50 would NOT exercise when you think of the alternatives as we grow older?

Ditto. (Except that I don't want to be a feeble old man.)

An 89 year old Dick van Dyke talks about his reasons for working out at the 1:20 point

This follows what I mentioned earlier. There is no reason for anyone just interested in general fitness to try to lift as much as possible. Resistance training has many benefits; look at all the "skinny fat" folks who only do cardio...

If "lift as much as possible" means maximum weight with one rep, I agree. But I'm a strong proponent of lifting heavy weights, such as an amount where one fails on about the 15th rep. It neutralizes the natural muscle loss as one ages, increases metabolism, makes one much less susceptible to serious injury from a fall or similar, and allows one to continue to do heavy lifting (during house projects, etc) much later in life than if the weight training was neglected. I have a 60-something friend who shares my philosophy, and he had little trouble helping me remove and carry outside a cast iron bathtub the other day. And I bet he'll still be able to do that a few years down the road.

Of course good form is essential to prevent injury, and one must ease into it to allow the joints and whatnot to adjust to the added stress.

But I'm a strong proponent of lifting heavy weights, such as an amount where one fails on about the 15th rep.

That is not "heavy" weight. I hear this kind of thing a lot. Some people will go on about how they (and usually imply everybody should, but not accusing you of implying that here) workout "vigorously everyday". Well, if you're working out vigorously or intensely baby you ain't doing it every day. If can exercise everyday it's not very intense. If you're doing it intensely you're doing it maybe 2 days a week. Three if you're young.

Of course good form is essential to prevent injury

Good form is essential to prevent injury from improper form. Injuries will still happen and are not all are preventable. Just the preventable ones are.

Like those people who think they will stay healthy and therefor have fewer medical bills because they exercise. Funny

I lift "heavy" for me, and alternate between 5x5 and 3x10 every six weeks or so. And I don't exercise the same muscle groups on consecutive days.

I do see fellow exercisers doing rep after rep with very little weight. Probably still some benefit, but that's more an aerobic exercise. Plus, it ties up the machines...

I lift "heavy" for me, and alternate between 5x5 and 3x10 every six weeks or so. And I don't exercise the same muscle groups on consecutive days.

I do see fellow exercisers doing rep after rep with very little weight. Probably still some benefit, but that's more an aerobic exercise. Plus, it ties up the machines...

Annoying, isn't it! I guess they are working on endurance rather than strength. It sure takes a long time for them to finish.

Amethyst

This is why I like weight lifting. I have no idea what other women my age can, or do lift. I am only competitive with myself, and listening to my body is part of the process.

Back
Top Bottom