Eyesight

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't know if I am losing it or what. I recently got new glasses because my eye doctor told my vision has changed and I needed new glasses. OK....so now I have been wearing these glasses for about 3 weeks and I told my wife that this new prescription seems to be worse than the old one. Anyway I decided to go out with both glasses yesterday in our travels about town. Flipping back and forth....huh...not much difference. I then decided in the car as we were driving to just take off the glasses. I swear to god my vision seemed to be just as good without them. Wow....has anybody ever heard of their vision improving with age.....:cool:

I don't know if I am losing it or what. I recently got new glasses because my eye doctor told my vision has changed and I needed new glasses. OK....so now I have been wearing these glasses for about 3 weeks and I told my wife that this new prescription seems to be worse than the old one. Anyway I decided to go out with both glasses yesterday in our travels about town. Flipping back and forth....huh...not much difference. I then decided in the car as we were driving to just take off the glasses. I swear to god my vision seemed to be just as good without them. Wow....has anybody ever heard of their vision improving with age.....:cool:

I noticed that as I got closer to needing cataract surgery, my vision just wasn't good whether I wore glasses or not (so it didn't matter that much). Could that be it? If so, you are in luck because cataract surgery is quick, routine, covered by Medicare, and makes a huge difference in vision for most people.

Yes. My vision has been slowly improving for about 15 years. I did not realize how bad my vision was 40 yrs ago until I found old pairs of glasses the Air Force had issued me when I joined. Quite blind. Don't know how I managed. I am told by current standards I would not be allowed to enlist today.

Now? The Dr. says my vision is just a sneeze less than 20/20 and is not bad enough to be prescribed corrective lenses. I have not needed glasses to drive legally for about 7 years. (At least in the two States I've lived in)

I was told in 1985 by an ophthalmologist after an eye exam that this might happen as I aged.

Last edited:
Same here. Nearsighted and a glasses wearer since age 11. From about age 40 (when all my friends had to start wearing reading glasses) my nearsightedness slowly improved, while my reading capability remained pretty much perfect. Now at 62 my prescription is significantly lighter than it used to be. I still just take off my glasses to read, although I can strain and read even with the glasses on. I didn't used to be able to do that.

My nearsighted vision has been getting better for about 10 years. The doc said it is common in one's 50's.

I'm near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. My vision has shifted such that I have glasses only for night driving (so both eyes can collect light), but my right eye has improved to 20/20.

Absolutely. About 30 years ago, I had an optometrist tell me that it's not uncommon for someones vision (especially men) to actually get better as they age. (I thought it was BS until it happen to me.) I wore bifocals for more than 30 years and single vision lens before that. I couldn't pass my drivers license renewals without glasses so I've had a restriction on my license for the past 30+ years requiring glasses when I drive. So in my late 50's, I thought I was beginning to see better/clearer. By the time I was in my mid 60's I felt I could see better without wearing my glasses. Ok, so the next time for my drivers license renewal I took the vision test without my glasses and "easily" passed the eye exam. No more restrictions on my license.

I kept my glasses for night driving since I could still tell a difference after dark but now even that is better to the point I don't wear them even when driving at night.

I wish all body parts began to get better with age. :)

Last edited:
Absolutely. About 30 years ago, I had an optometrist tell me that it's not uncommon for someones vision (especially men) to actually get better as they age. (I thought it was BS until it happen to me.) I wore bifocals for more than 30 years and single vision lens before that. I couldn't pass my drivers license renewals without glasses so I've had a restriction on my license for the past 30+ years requiring glasses when I drive. So in my late 50's, I thought I was beginning to see better/clearer. By the time I was in my mid 60's I felt I could see better without wearing my glasses. Ok, so the next time for my drivers license renewal I took the vision test without my glasses and "easily" passed the eye exam. No more restrictions on my license.

I kept my glasses for night driving since I could still tell a difference after dark but now even that is better to the point I don't wear them even when driving at night.

I wish all body parts began to get better with age. :)

+1
Although I wear contacts at night for driving.

My myopic vision has gone from -3,-2.5 to the current -1.75, -1.25. I only use glasses for driving only now. I used to wear contacts (for over 30 years) but they became a problem for reading. After stopping the contacts, the improvement of my vision has been pretty dramatic.

....has anybody ever heard of their vision improving with age.....:cool:

I'm 71 & it's happening to me. I used to need glasses for distances, then eventually for reading, but in the last 2 years or so I'm not needing them at all. It's a phenomenon called "second sight" - something to do with the lens in your eye changing with age.

My doctor says "Enjoy it while it lasts" - and I am!

It's very common for near sighted people, whereas far sighted people tend to get worse as they get older.

do you have blood pressure issues ??

high blood pressure affects your eyes ( since they need blood to work as well )

if your blood pressure was to normalize that could improve your vision .. but for how long ..
also since these changes are happening in short periods ( less than a month each change ) , maybe something else is happening

body fluids , glaucoma or something completely different

i would consult your normal GP doctor ( or a good doctor if traveling )

I have been wearing reading glasses for the last 5 years, each time having to buy a pair with a stronger factor (now up to 2.25 or 2.5, I forget which). My 20/20 vision has slipped to 20/25 in one eye, though. The doctor did sign off on the DMV eye test from for my recent drivers license renewal, thankfully.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 years ago, but the doc found no damage related to that.

My nearsightedness improved from 40 to about 55. My reading got worse and is not quite stable yet at 59.

My 20/20 vision has slipped to 20/25 in one eye, though. The doctor did sign off on the DMV eye test from for my recent drivers license renewal, thankfully.

All the states I've lived in have only required 20/40 for a license.

FL "requires" 20/50, and allows daytime driving with 20/60.
Wow! Seriously? I'm never going back there again. When my vision was 20/40 from cataracts I was not able to see to drive. I had a buddy with RP who was struggling to get a 20/40 reading, he should not have been driving.

I can't imagine 20/60.

All the states I've lived in have only required 20/40 for a license.

That's good to know. I see just fine when I drive. I get a little nervous when I drive at night in the rain, however, because I struggle to pick up all the lane markings. The color of the street lights, especially on the parkways, is nearly the same as the lane markings, making it extra tough to see them all.

FL "requires" 20/50, and allows daytime driving with 20/60.
Having been to FL many times, I can believe it. (Although in Texas it may be worse - I read somewhere it's 20/70 here in Texas)

Last edited:
Having been to FL many times, I can believe it. (Although in Texas it may be worse - I read somewhere it's 20/70 here in Texas)
Yeah but, they have to drive slow. I'm not sure how the police know those people are limited to 45 mph?

DW's distance vision has improved as she ages, not the closeup. Mine never improved at all, only got worse due to cataracts and an epi-retinal membrane in one eye until getting both those problems fixed.

Back
Top Bottom