Flu Shots 2020

Just to remind everyone that we can all disagree without being disagreeable.

If you are an anti-vaxxer that believes in supplements, sure, you’re on my ignore list ��

For the information of all, there is no public notice required when you put someone on ignore.

jam12 is a brand new member here--she could be a troll or she could be someone who needs to be educated about things we discuss here (like vaccines). On the Shingles thread she badly misspelled the "Shingrix" vaccine so before I put her on ignore I am going to assume she just needs to be educated.

I’m not anti vax, but I did my own research. Do you realize how effective the vaccine actually is? Well, not too effective. Per the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/effectiveness-studies.htm

The most effective it’s been in the last 10 years is 60% and the least is 19%. Looks like it averages somewhere in the 40% range (I didn’t do the math, just eyeballed the graph).

My personal decision was that at level of effectiveness coupled with my age, health condition and the slight potential of side effects I would not get the flu vaccine. In addition, who am I going to get the flu from? I’m wearing a mask everywhere I go and I don’t go much at all.

When I worked, I got the vaccine for a few years. Not sure if I would have come to the same conclusion had I realized the low effective rate of the vaccine, but certainly the risk of exposure was much higher for me at that time. I’m worried about COVID, just like most everyone, but I haven’t been sick since I retired almost three years ago now.

Oh sure I consider the flu vaccine to be only better than nothing, it's never advertised as being anything close to a guarantee.

But it does also promise to lessen the impacts of the flu, should you contract it anyway. The last time I had the flu I had a few miserable days of complete exhaustion and fever, but it also took me a good 2 weeks to get back to full strength.

Now that I'm retired, I'm not interested in losing any time being sick so if I have a 40% chance to avoid it, I'm in.

But yeah, this year, if one is being appropriately careful to avoid covid, it would be a real surprise to get the flu.

Jerry - and, the way you expressed it is fine. Nor were you leaning in and proselytizing, nor are you noting supplements are the solution.

While I certainly disagree with your decision to get flu vaccine, I don't know your other health factors :)

The cocktail prepared for the annual flu vaccine is developed well before the start of the annual flu season. It’s based on the strains of previous years and the scientists responsible can’t anticipate any mutations or rogue strains. Some people have developed their own immunity after many years of flu shots, some have bad reactions one year and not others, other get the shot, but catch a mutated version of the flu. It’s like betting on the ponies - you won’t know the result until after the race is finished.

The Military requires every member to be vaccinated, and not just for the flu. On my first overseas tour I was inoculated for diseases I had never heard of. Most upper arm jabs were painless, but one, the vaccine for plague, hurt like hell going in and I couldn’t lift my arm for a few days. But I never did catch plague 😳.

It’s one thing to exercise your right to refuse to be inoculated (though many classes of employees don’t have that right - in the military, refusal was tantamount to disobeying a direct order), but that refusal can easily affect others. I’m also unaware that any confirmed medical,study has shown that vitamins can protect you from catching a virus. A strong immune system can lessen the effects, but not contraction of the actual disease.

The Military requires every member to be vaccinated, and not just for the flu. On my first overseas tour I was inoculated for diseases I had never heard of. Most upper arm jabs were painless, but one, the vaccine for plague, hurt like hell going in and I couldn’t lift my arm for a few days. But I never did catch plague ��.

Ahh, fond memories of the day I entered the Navy and we had to run the gantlet of hospital corpsman with needle guns. I came across my yellow vaccination card this morning looking for something else and see that it was typhoid, tetanus, diptheria, rubella and smallpox. As you note, "no thanks" was not an option.

Last edited:
It's a big world out there and CHOICES are there for all of our needs....I've made mine and you can all make yours....

The rushed thru vaccines and all I've heard from the huge group of people I talk with and essays I read, is far from close to being safe. Of course, they want all to believe it's safe....no history at all with these vaccines for covid... I keep my immune system strong and have been doing that for decades, so I'm not up for a shot in the dark, or shots and boosters from all I'm hearing...no way.

But we are free to choose our ways and that is how it SHOULD be.....

And I'm fine with all who choose to ignore my info from my long journey I've been on. I've been doing my research and work for decades and believe I have learned so much... Thanks all.

It's a big world out there and CHOICES are there for all of our needs....I've made mine and you can all make yours....

The rushed thru vaccines and all I've heard from the huge group of people I talk with and essays I read, is far from close to being safe. Of course, they want all to believe it's safe....no history at all with these vaccines for covid... I keep my immune system strong and have been doing that for decades, so I'm not up for a shot in the dark, or shots and boosters from all I'm hearing...no way.

But we are free to choose our ways and that is how it SHOULD be.....

And I'm fine with all who choose to ignore my info from my long journey I've been on. I've been doing my research and work for decades and believe I have learned so much... Thanks all.

jam this thread is about the flu vaccine--are you talking about the flu vaccine or the Covid vaccine?

Back on the flu vaccine--I get the vaccine every year, but I occasionally still get the flu and it is awful. I wish the flu vaccine where more effective. One thing I have learned from the pandemic is that masks/social distancing do work. I have not even had a sniffle since last March. My plan regarding the flu going forward--I will continue to get the flu shot but in addition, even once Covid fades away (I hope it does!) I am going to still wear a mask indoors where there are crowds, especially during flu season. I don't care what other people do, I am wearing a mask and getting a flu shot.

jam this thread is about the flu vaccine--are you talking about the flu vaccine or the Covid vaccine?

+1

If you want to talk about the Covid vaccine, it would be a good idea to start a new thread.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a flu vaccine. I can’t remember ever having the flu. My new dr. Recommends it and I’ll probably start getting the yearly shot next trip to the doc. DW won’t get a flu shot because she claims that it has mercury in it.

harlee, I get no vaccines and have not had a cold or flu in 30 yrs or so...

My supplements work and a major one is Grape Seed Extract, been taking it 25 yrs since at a lecture by docs and researchers, we were told MAY prevent cancers....so I jumped on it in 1995 and found how it has helped so much much more in my life....

I was the allergy and sinus queen before G.S.E. and not a drug in 25 yrs...and healthy....So believe it or don't.... obviously our paths to good health are different for most....I'm not a fan of pharma if you have not picked that up. jam

.....One thing I have learned from the pandemic is that masks/social distancing do work. I have not even had a sniffle since last March....

Same here. No colds, no sniffles, nothing since I started wearing a mask indoors last March. And I would have had a cold by now if I had been maskless.

harlee, I believe you asked what vaccine I'm talking about, the covid ones that are being RUSHED thru, I've heard from "experts" out there that a safe vaccine can take 5 to 10 yrs....and this rushed group:confused:??

harlee, I believe you asked what vaccine I'm talking about, the covid ones that are being RUSHED thru, I've heard from "experts" out there that a safe vaccine can take 5 to 10 yrs....and this rushed group:confused:??

Did you see Gumby’s post about the COVID thread? Please, let’s keep this thread covid free.

I take supplements to boost my immune system and have never had a case of dengue. It must work. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers!

I have noticed when we are preserving the vegetables from our garden that the pickled stuff has the longest shelf life. So I just drink a lot.

Last edited:
I don't even need supplements. I just drink this, and I haven't gotten a cold all year. Aren't anecdotes wonderful? I did get a flu shot this year, with no discernible side effects (to stay on topic).
0kYgVWE.jpg

I have no idea how many things I've been vaccinated for in my life but it's been a lot... When I was a kid, I got all of the required vaccinations for school. I think the polio vaccine was given with a sugar cube, so no shot there. When I traveled the world for business, I got vaccinated for stuff I never heard of but it was recommended by the companies doctors. Add to that the annual flu vaccines, as well as a (lifetime) pneumonia shot, a couple of gamma globulin injections and who knows what else....

I think I got the flu once about 20 years ago but other than that, nothing. Never been in the hospital or ever been really sick (except the flu once).. I guess when I pass away in the next decade or two, it could be argued that all those injections contributed to my death.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom