Give up running?

If I ever give up running, it will probably be because of similar reasons as F4. I have Morton's neuroma in my right foot (nerve pinches and foot burns/hurts/goes numb). I have a recurring calf strain in my right leg that thankfully hasn't flared up in 5 years. Performis nerve pain in my right hip that's the biggest problem right now. And occasionally IT band syndrome in my right knee. All are likely related. Joints are pretty good though.

I've been given various stretches and strengthening exercises from PTs and others, but generally only do 2 or 3. Today I just compiled a list of 14 (so far) stretches and exercises to do every day to try to combat this. I hate stretching though, so this is going to be a chore. I'm also going to try to reduce meal portions to drop a few extra pounds.

Hopefully this will work. Before giving up running completely, I'd do even more on single track trails where you don't repeat the same stride over and over), or cut back since it usually doesn't bother me until I get into double digit miles.

If evolution (or God) meant us to run, our knees would be facing the other way.

I can't believe you guys running into your 60s! My knees gave out in my early 30s. No more downhill skiing, and no more running or any other high-impact activity.
Audrey

Same here except it was my late 20's(now 30 1/2). Just yesterday, I was at a family gathering. My grandmother baked my brother and I some cookies. My brother got to the car first and took my bag and his and teased me with it. I ran after him for about 3 or 4 steps then I stopped and started limping. I've had to give up playing basketball and tennis in my mid 20's. If I need to kneel down to the ground, I need to grab something with my hand to help pull me up. I can't just get up with my knees alone. I'm not overweight in fact i'm underweight and i'm only 30 years old. Don't know how some people can do those things into their sixties.

I've been given various stretches and strengthening exercises from PTs and others, but generally only do 2 or 3. Today I just compiled a list of 14 (so far) stretches and exercises to do every day to try to combat this. I hate stretching though, so this is going to be a chore.

Stretching is something I know I should be doing at my age, but just can't make myself do it on a regular basis. I've made a couple of attempts at yoga thinking that I'd get the benefits of stretching while doing something other than just stretching. But I can't really get into the spiritual aspects of it. My wife, on the other hand, is a fairly dedicated yogi going twice a week for a good workout. She, like me, prefers to get her spirituality at church but seems to tolerate the meditative aspects of it better than I do.

I am 65½ and last Saturday ran a half marathon in 2:10:14. Slower than my PR from 1981 (1:25) but plenty fast for this old, fat body. My knees and other joints are fine. I will continue to run as long as I can. In fact, I am signed up to run a full marathon on June 12, another one on September 18, and then another one in February 2011.

But I run only 3 times a week. I also swim, bike, and lift weights. I will do an Olympic triathlon on July 31.

But frankly, the main (but not the only) reason I continue to run is because I have lots of friends and family who run. Two sons-in-law, a son, and a daughter-in-law ran the race last Saturday. Several of them will run the marathons with me (well, they'll be in the same race, but ahead of me). I love the camaraderie and the bonding of doing these races together.

On a long shot I just bought a pair of Nike Free Run + shoes. The concept is a very light shoe, fully flexible, more like a "bootie." It is from the "barefoot" running craze where the idea is to run with only enough padding for road hazard protection. Your foot plant is moved forward away from the heel and toward the toes to about the mid-to-front of the arch (which his what happens when running barefoot..

Day one: 3 miles of walk and run, no problem. I gradually increased and have now done about 5 runs in the 3-5 mile range. Other than a few foot aches from the non-structural shoes (improving today), no problem. Surprisingly my usual post-run day back pain has not recurred.

Too soon to tell, but I am glad to be back running.

Ah yes, running - I'm still in the Reserves and have a timed run every six months now - umm, I don't like running that much. Used to do a bit of it (not the types of mileage you all did!) but enough to keep slim. It worked to keep the weight down in my early 20's/30's. Had to add weight lifting in my late 30's 40's - need to get back into it. I tore my ACL and that put me out of commission for awhile. I was just grateful I could jog afterwards - oh and then I love my downhill skiing.

However, the feeling after running is nice - you feel proud you did it (if you had to overcome your mental I don't wanna), and there is a bit of a rush or flush. Even a walk-run can do that - the machines don't give you the same feeling - maybe being outside is part of it, too.

I don't see any point in running if you don't really enjoy it, so I'm kind of mystified by those who complain about it.

I'm in my mid-60s, and have run 3-5 days a week for 40 years. Back in my 30s, that meant 40-50 miles a week, but now it's only about 15. Nonetheless, I still enjoy it enough that I look forward to every run, no matter the weather.

Did my first marathon at age 58, then did three more in the next few years. All were over 5 hours, so I'm obviously an extreme slowpoke, but I still enjoyed them despite the pain in the quads.

Now and then, I'll develop a problem with either my left knee or my right ankle, and will have to take a few weeks off, but with good orthotics in my shoes and trying for a rest day after most runs, I expect to keep doing it for a while yet.

At 55 I still jog but not for long distances...maybe a max of two miles once a week and often at the high school track. I have a gym membership and walk/jog on a machine once or twice week for half an hour. Sometimes trade off to an elliptical for thirty minutes or the rowing machines, or just take a yoga class. I find if I mix it up, I don't get as stiff.

Two more points while I'm thinking of it:

You need the right kind of running shoes. Depending on your weight, the width of your feet, the degree you over- or under-pronate, and the style of running you prefer, there is bound to be a selection of shoes designed for you. Find a really good running shoe store and get some guidance.

Also, many runners tend to forget that the cushioning ability of running shoes diminishes both from time since manufacture and miles run in them.

Over 40 years of running, I've determined that if my current pair of shoes either:
a. is more than two years old
or
b. has more than 300-400 miles, I need to replace them.

Under those conditions, I always notice a very distinct difference in the cushioning, and let's face it, as we age our cartilage needs all the help it can get.

Good point, Braumeister, about properly fitting running shoes. I have several pairs and rotate them. As our feet age, they lose the fat padding on the soles. Also, one's shoe size can change over time. I am partial to a particular brand of shoe and also very much prefer Thorlo running socks to any other. I have to admit to being slightly miffed about the fat pads on my feet thinning while everything else seems to want to bust out at the seams despite much effort:LOL:

Boy, you got that right!
I have been pretty much amazed at how my shoe size has gone from 10 when I was in college all the way to 12 now that I'm in my 60s.
I have very narrow feet, so I've always been a New Balance shoe fan, and I definitely agree with you on the Thorlo socks.

I found many years ago that Asics GT-XXXX (Right now, XXXX = 2140) were right for my feet. I have bought them ever since--every 300-400 miles, as per Braumeister's recommendation.

FYI, I ran a half marathon two weeks ago, in 2:10. Today, I did a 17-mile training run and will do a sloooooow marathon in 2 weeks, my first in 2 or 3 years. Yes, I'll keep running for a while.

I seem to do well with New Balance.

I like New Balance. Don't run, but they sure are good walking shoes. I bought a pair of Addias hiking shoes a few years ago for some trail hiking in Colorado. I've had them 8 years and I still use them on natural hiking trails. Something like these......

adidas - Terrex EVO Swift Low Shoes - Hiking

To the OP, do what you enjoy at this point. You can get plenty of exercise hiking, biking, gym work or a variety of things. Mine come from walking/hiking with the mutt, playing golf, yard work, and yes......retrieving med's from the frig.:blush:

Dawg52, I agree completely about doing what you want after a certain point in life. Sometimes I have to pause and think about why I push myself in certain areas. There are days when I feel like lying on the couch and reading all day. I give in to these days with increasing regularity. I am not punching a clock anywhere or getting a prize if I complete a to-do list, and I only have myself to please.

I think it is worthwhile to do whatever it takes to stay relatively slim. Should bad luck strike and take away one's lifemate, eventually the survivor will likely want to get out socially. Being trim is like being a non-smoker, it has almost universal appeal.

Ha

IMO, doing it to feel better is more important than looking better, but everybody has their own motivation.

IMO, doing it to feel better is more important than looking better, but everybody has their own motivation.

Yes, indeed...my main motivation for exercise is to feel better, maintain flexibility to accomplish daily tasks, age in place(i.e. home). In terms of appearance, I don't want to move up in size due to the investment I have in my fairly extensive wardrobe. Extra weight puts more pressure on the joints, too, which is not a good idea if arthritis runs in the family.

I wondered if that might be how I rank things. It is easy to say "It's for my health" when are are thin anyway. It is more acceptable to say it's for health. We'll be thought vain if we admit that we are concerned with appearance. And in everyone's case but mine, it may well be the case. But I asked myself, what if a very good study were published saying that middle-aged men would live longer if they had >=22% bodyfat, rather than <= say 12%. Would I try to gain weight? No way! A single person needs currency, and some things are cheaper or a lot less annoying to develop/maintain than others. Like not smoking or dipping, keeping very good hygeine, and staying lean.

For me, case closed. :)

My motivation for exercising is feeling good ,keeping mobility and not looking like a toad . Too many older woman if they are heavy get very toad looking and I want to keep that at bay for as long as I can.

Order of benefits:

1. Appearance
2. Feeling Good Now
3. Feeling Good when Older
4. Feeling Superior to Others ;)

[If] middle-aged men would live longer if they had >=22% bodyfat, rather than <= say 12%. Would I try to gain weight? No way!

Same here. A good example of a situation in which health benefits and appearance are at odds: Sun exposure. Many people want a least some tan even though they know it's not healthful.

Back
Top Bottom