Mother's Long Term Care Insurance Company Giving Me the Run Around

My prediction is that once she is in either memory care or skilled nursing, your issues having the folks at Met Life pay will improve as that is a much more straight forward situation.

I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you both.

Very doubtful. I bet Metlife still loses the claim every month and I will just be out of pocket more each month

Very doubtful. I bet Metlife still loses the claim every month and I will just be out of pocket more each month

Heh, heh, simply start FAXing a copy EVERY day until you receive the payment!! At some point, they may decide it's cheaper to pay than to stall. Best of luck.

Heh, heh, simply start FAXing a copy EVERY day until you receive the payment!! At some point, they may decide it's cheaper to pay than to stall. Best of luck.

That is a good idea! I might have to buy my own fax machine though

Why not just mail the bills certified/return receipt? It will cost a few bucks, but at least they can't say they did not receive them.

I finally did that for the initial paperwork and it took 2 weeks for them to pick up the paperwork from their PO Box and sign for it. But if they keep "losing" faxes I guess I will have to go the mail route again. They will not accept anything by email.

Harlee,

Have all the qualifying issues (like inability to perform ADL's, cognitive decline, etc.) been settled to Met Life's satisfaction and no longer being debated? That is, are the only issues now that Met Life is stalling despite agreeing that your mother qualifies for benefits to be paid under the terms of her policy?

It's really mind boggling to me how, if there are no complications or questions regarding your mother qualifying to collect under the terms of her contract, that these guys are either so inept at administrative tasks or are intentionally avoiding their contractual obligations via dodgy methods that payments are not being made.

You certainly have my empathy on this. The situation would make me nuts.

Last edited:
When we ran our home care business, we always got the assignment of benefits made out to our company once the LTCI approved the claim. That way, all correspondence and payments were made between us and the company, taking that financial responsibility off the hands of the family. The family was billed for the balance. Also, the added incentive was to ensure that the paperwork was always completed to the satisfaction of the LTCI company. The CCRC really should have done that but...

Harlee,

Have all the qualifying issues (like inability to perform ADL's, cognitive decline, etc.) been settled to Met Life's satisfaction and no longer being debated? That is, are the only issues now that Met Life is stalling despite agreeing that your mother qualifies for benefits to be paid under the terms of her policy?

It's really mind boggling to me how, if there are no complications or questions regarding your mother qualifying to collect under the terms of her contract, that these guys are either so inept at administrative tasks or are intentionally avoiding their contractual obligations via dodgy methods that payments are not being made.

You certainly have my empathy on this. The situation would make me nuts.

All the qualifying issues have been satisfied (took months) and they have been paying but every month they "lose" the bill and therefore the payment is delayed.

Sorry to see this go on,I am sure my Genworth LTC will be just as difficult to deal with if needed.

That is a good idea! I might have to buy my own fax machine though

There used to be internet faxes. You'd upload a PDF to a website, punch in the destination fax #, and it would be translated and faxed to the recipient. Used to be free or very small charge.

Not sure if they still exist.

Back
Top Bottom