Happier in retirement?

Just woke up from my nap. Almost time to go to bed.:cool:
Must be nice. We have three cats (roughly 14, 13, and 9) who are creatures of habit, used to me getting up at 4:30-5:00am to go to work. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get them to stop trying to wake me up until at least 6am.

Also, the 13 year-old cat has been having dementia-like symptoms for well over two years. He will urinate somewhere in the room unless I do wake up "in time". He also is the source for any fights between the cats early in the morning, in addition to randomly howling somewhere in the house. None of this disturbs my DW. As it is, I've always been the one to feed the cats and clean the litter boxes.

As such, my sleeping patterns are actually worse in retirement than they were while working. It also doesn't help that I am a light sleeper, making random naps during the day a challenge. :(:mad:

I retired from a great job, I was respected and given a great deal of latitude: work from home, as much as I wanted etc. My goal in retirement was to have a little boutique software consulting business and work on my health.

I lost 30lbs, I have a brisk 1 hour walk each day, my A1c dropped a whole point - I’m close to we’re I want to be. I feel great. My business actually was a bit more than I desired.

Mostly I feel zero stress- other than Covid. I love retirement.

Looks pretty good. How has your averaged day changed? What are you up to these days?

Well, every day is not as packed as the first one in my post above; but, many have been. However, I do try to do one or more enjoyable things each day. When I wrote that post, I had just retired (semi-retired really, as I consulted quite a bit for about 9 mos). Then, in early 2015, DW and I left downtown Knoxville, TN (a wonderful place) and moved back to the SF Bay Area, where our closest friends and lots of good memories are. We don’t have kids/grandkids to chase, and the few close family members we have are spread all over. (I’m sure some will wonder why we’d move TO a high COL location instead of away. But, that’s another post altogether.) Since the move, a lot has changed from my w*rking life but, most of my days are actually close to what I’d imagined when planning for FIRE almost a decade ago. Back then, I made a notional weekly schedule, which included: lots of travel, golf a couple times a week, volunteer work, spending more time with friends & family, tending to the portfolio, and time to explore new interests. And, that’s pretty close to how I’ve spent my first five FIRE years.

However, there have also been unforeseen major changes which I’m adjusting to. I lost my wife after our move back to the SF Bay Area, which I’m still working to recover from but, have made a lot of progress. I bought a boat, which is in a SF Bay marina, and I met someone who makes me very happy so, I’m in a new relationship. While my life is very different than I’d expected, I really think that having a solid FIRE plan (beyond just being FI) has helped my tremendously, as has my network of close friends. It’s like a foundation upon which I’ve been able to steady myself and begin building a new life. That’s probably more than you asked for but, it is what it is. Good luck in your journey toward FIRE. Although unsolicited, my advice would be to enjoy yourself along the way; you never know when something unexpected will happen. And, have a plan for the non-financial aspects of your life when you do FIRE.

Well, every day is not as packed as the first one in my post above; but, many have been. However, I do try to do one or more enjoyable things each day. When I wrote that post, I had just retired (semi-retired really, as I consulted quite a bit for about 9 mos). Then, in early 2015, DW and I left downtown Knoxville, TN (a wonderful place) and moved back to the SF Bay Area, where our closest friends and lots of good memories are. We don’t have kids/grandkids to chase, and the few close family members we have are spread all over. (I’m sure some will wonder why we’d move TO a high COL location instead of away. But, that’s another post altogether.) Since the move, a lot has changed from my w*rking life but, most of my days are actually close to what I’d imagined when planning for FIRE almost a decade ago. Back then, I made a notional weekly schedule, which included: lots of travel, golf a couple times a week, volunteer work, spending more time with friends & family, tending to the portfolio, and time to explore new interests. And, that’s pretty close to how I’ve spent my first five FIRE years.

However, there have also been unforeseen major changes which I’m adjusting to. I lost my wife after our move back to the SF Bay Area, which I’m still working to recover from but, have made a lot of progress. I bought a boat, which is in a SF Bay marina, and I met someone who makes me very happy so, I’m in a new relationship. While my life is very different than I’d expected, I really think that having a solid FIRE plan (beyond just being FI) has helped my tremendously, as has my network of close friends. It’s like a foundation upon which I’ve been able to steady myself and begin building a new life. That’s probably more than you asked for but, it is what it is. Good luck in your journey toward FIRE. Although unsolicited, my advice would be to enjoy yourself along the way; you never know when something unexpected will happen. And, have a plan for the non-financial aspects of your life when you do FIRE.

I appreciate your advice. Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife is a cancer survivor (3 years cancer free) so I know well-laid plans can go off the rails at an instant. My friends/family are also scattered, mostly on the East Coast but my wife's friends and family are a bit closer here. If we move it will probably be closer to our kids (assuming they ever move out) but that is many years away.

I keep thinking the grass is greener elsewhere but I'm coming to realize that beside the cost of housing, the COL of living is not much worse here in the SF Bay Area than anywhere else where I would want to live. I should have my house paid off by the time I retire and CA income taxes will be relatively negligible in retirement. I like having 3 good airports close by (we are 15 min to SFO) for travel escapes. I need to start focusing on the bright side of life though it has been a rough year of semi-isolation in the time of Covid.

Happy Holidays!

My retirement suggestions

1) keep the feet to the fire looking for ways to bring in self employed and passive income however humble, as part of your emotional ecology
2) dial up thrift and financial waste reduction, downsize
3) study and implement diet for longevity
4) optimize your relationship to the medical system. Lean forward on collecting data on your health, act cautiously. Your skill and attitude in this is very much life and death.
5) persist on finding a crowd to have some laughs with.
6) acquire as many dogs as you can manage.
7) force yourself to engage in sports that are active in your area.
8) reduce casual exposure to the news and politics. Learn to read again.
9) engage in actual politics at any level.
10) spend time in better weather and beautiful places, or near your grandchildren if any
11) groom, cook, clean, repair
12) manage your marriage with great attention if applicable. If single, figure out how to meet persons of interest and make the effort.
13) accept that you can’t fix other people’s lives.

all excellent
favorites: 4, 6, 8, 10, 13

Back
Top Bottom