Have you lowered cholesterol without statins?

My big concern was glucose/a1c and I'd cut back on potatoes, pasta, etc. in favor of bulghur, couscous and other grains. I cut back on sugar and I'm also eating more fish and less of the other meats. The changes have been pretty painless.

You didn't post your A1c. Was it down too? In my experience, and as a diabetic I've done a ton of testing and experimenting, replacing one grain or starch with another doesn't effect my A1c significantly. I don't know whether couscous is healthier than spaghetti or not, but I doubt it will change your blood sugar levels very much. But then again, if your levels are already acceptable, there's no need to change. If my body could tolerate pasta, I'd be all over that stuff. Yum!

Last edited:
But was the revised calculation already done by the lab?

Good question- they don't note which scale they use, although I may try and find out.

You didn't post your A1c. Was it down too? In my experience, and as a diabetic I've done a ton of testing and experimenting, replacing one grain or starch with another doesn't effect your A1c significantly.

It was 5.9 last time, 5.7 now- so nothing dramatic. I've read that whole grains are metabolized differently.

Last edited:
It was 5.9 last time, 5.7 now- so nothing dramatic. I've read that whole grains are metabolized differently.

My understanding is that 'chunky' grains are digested more slowly and thus are less likely to cause problems like a spike in insulin. Even whole wheat flour, if pulverized, causes a spike. Those micro miniature particles digest very very fast. I have heard it recommended that people use a somewhat more coarsly milled flour, but I really don't know of any evidence that it helps.

This is interesting. I ran the numbers both ways with my 2017 lab results, and the Friedewald formula for LDL (which the lab did, indeed, employ) came out slightly lower than the Iranian (126 vs. 130).

Not sure it makes a bean of difference, just that numbers are interesting.

No, the lab always uses the Friedewald formula. That's where the 118 number comes from.

The Iranian formula is only valid when TG<100. Friedewald is valid when TG>100. You don't get to choose which to use :).

From last year: total cholesterol down from 256 to 223. HDL (good) down only from 96 to 94. LDL 144 to 118, Triglycerides 80 to 54. So- LDL still an issue but the other numbers and most of the ratios look good. I'm happy!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the number you get from the basic LDL test, as it doesn't mean much. The basic LDL test doesn't break down different LDL particle sizes, and that is what is important, from what I've read. If you have mostly large-size LDL particles, you have nothing to worry about. It's only if you have a lot of smaller-sized LDL particles, that there is cause for concern. Most doctors don't typically order the LDL test that shows the breakdown of particle sizes (unless you ask for that test), but they really should, IMO.

When it comes right down to it, cholesterol isn't the cause of heart disease. Cholesterol numbers are a surrogate marker for what's really going on - inflammation. Research shows that if your HDL is high, your TG are low, and especially if your TG/HDL ratio is low (<3), your risk of heart attack is very low. This makes sense because TG go up with excess carbs (especially sugar), which are inflammatory; and HDL goes down when you eat a lot of bad fats (highly processed seed oils), which are inflammatory.

My last TG reading was 96, but the math still indicated the Friedewald. The Iranian equation would have produced a higher LDL number. I suspect voodoo...

The Iranian formula is only valid when TG<100. Friedewald is valid when TG>100. You don't get to choose which to use :).

Here's one interesting opinion of the Carbs vs. Fat discussion. Skip to The Bottom Line if you don't want to read the entire thing:

https://www.docsopinion.com/2016/08/01/carbohydrate-fat-and-lipids/

The best fats to consume are the MUFA fats - Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. Bring on the Olive Oil!

Today, most experts agree that diets high in SFAs or refined carbohydrates are not be recommended for the prevention of heart disease. However, it appears that carbohydrates are likely to cause a greater metabolic damage than SFAs in the rapidly growing population of people with metabolic abnormalities associated with obesity and insulin resistance.
Placing carbohydrates at the bottom of the food pyramid based on their effect on blood cholesterol may have been a mistake. In fact, data show that replacing dietary carbohydrates with different types of fat may improve lipid profile.

My Mother knew olive oil was healthy in the 1960's - (and she was Irish! but we had Italian cousins :LOL:)

I use olive oil for all sautee-ing, indeed any cooking oil function where taste is not affected (wouldn't use it in baking).

H

The best fats to consume are the MUFA fats - Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. Bring on the Olive Oil!

olive_oil.jpg

Great on salads.

I agree, and there is nothing simpler than mixing some olive oil, red wine vinegar and a little sugar. Or even olive oil and wine!

My wife and I always make our own dressing with Olive oil. All that dressing you buy at the store is loaded with preservatives, additives and sugar.

:dance:

I make mine with: vinegar, olive oil, salt, mustard, garlic, an egg yolk, and a dash of pepper. It's fun to get creative with your favorite ingredients.

My wife and I always make our own dressing with Olive oil. All that dressing you buy at the store is loaded with preservatives, additives and sugar.

Many of the cheaper salad dressings you find at the store are made with soybean oil, not olive oil. Soybean oil may be the worst thing for you in them, at least in terms of heart health.

I thought I heard the fish oil - prostate connection was debunked, no? My dr to.d me to take 2 fish oil tablets a day

have no idea about prostate health and fish oil. That fish oil is supposedly good for joint inflammation is what seems to be "in" these days. Don't know if that is true or not either. my dog takes it for her coat health. I can say it works wonders there, and she seems to tolerate it well gastrointestinally. It makes me burp, stinks and can be hard to swallow. Also, bad gas, so I do not partake. there are some products who claim to add a coating to the tablets to minimize at least some of these negatives. have not tried them .

I make mine with: vinegar, olive oil, salt, mustard, garlic, an egg yolk, and a dash of pepper. It's fun to get creative with your favorite ingredients.

I was in Greenville, SC last December and visited a shop called Oil and Garlic that local family recommended. I spent an insane amount but came out with tomato vinegar, chardonnay vinegar, roasted garlic grapeseed oil and pepperoncini-infused olive oil. Wow. I may never buy bottled salad dressings again. I'm going back in July and they refill their own bottles, so I'll get a break on the price.

Back
Top Bottom