High blood pressure / Hypertension

Not sure when in each day you check your BP. If I check mine right away in the morning right away, I'm in the 130's and high 70's or in low 80's. If I check in afternoon or evening in 120 to 110 and upper 70's to low 60's.

Not sure why mine is different but it is consistent with those number when I check.

Not sure when in each day you check your BP. If I check mine right away in the morning right away, I'm in the 130's and high 70's or in low 80's. If I check in afternoon or evening in 120 to 110 and upper 70's to low 60's.

Not sure why mine is different but it is consistent with those number when I check.

Interesting. Mine generally goes up during the day.

HBP runs on my mom’s side of the family despite everyone being thin and healthy regarding diet/exercise, etc. I got it at 50 despite daily exercise and healthy weight. I gained 50lbs between ages 58-65 and ended up on 2 medications. I lost 50lbs and quit drinking. Within days of stopping having 2 glasses of wine every night my BP went down even before I lost weight. Now I am back to taking one pill for HBP.

Back in '94 I had to go to a doctor because I got injured at work. It was my first doctor visit in almost 25 years. He checked my b/p and it was 186/85. He wanted to start me on meds to lower it, but I argued that it was high because (1) I had been rushing around to get there on time, (2) it was 'white coat syndrome', (3) it was because of my injury. So he caved in and told me to come back in three days and he'd check it again, but if it was still high, he was putting me on meds. Three days later I went in and it was 189/92. He handed me a written prescription to take to the pharmacy, for Telmisartan-HCTZ 80-12.5 mg tablets.

I started taking it that day,, one pill a day. A week later my b/p was down to about 145/75. A week after that it was about 140/70. I've been popping that pill once a day for 28 years, and my b/p is typically 112/60, and has been for many years. I've experienced absolutely no side effects from it's usage, other than an hour after taking it, I've got to empty the bladder.

My blood pressure is usually just fine.

But last Summer I noticed getting really tired when I did hard labor--cutting grass and digging in the garden. I'd come in and take a one hour nap--and be back to maybe 80%.

My endocrinologist says that I have too many red blood cells. It's where my blood marrow is overactive. The problem is that I can bleed easily, and there's an increased chance that I could throw a blood clot to the brain, lungs or heart.

Right now, they're trying to combat the condition by my giving a pint of blood on a schedule. And I'm being watched very closely by a oncologist/hematologist. And I continue to work hard--not being inactive. This is one situation that's to be continued.

Please send these instructions to the staff in my PCP's office.

Yes, all these guidelines for taking BP may be true, but most doctors' offices violate all of them, and most doctor's offices will only accept their own, incorrectly taken, BP readings. And base their prescriptions on their own readings.

I don't think the 115/75 for adults over 65 is correct. The entire country would be on BP meds. And BP does tend to increase as you age, even if you are healthy. I think it's 130/80 for older folks.

That's what I've read and been told by Doctors. I've also seen studies that older people with higher BP live longer. Who knows?

Yes, all these guidelines for taking BP may be true, but most doctors' offices violate all of them, and most doctor's offices will only accept their own, incorrectly taken, BP readings. And base their prescriptions on their own readings.

So it makes you wonder motives, doesn't it? Why is my BP always lower at the blood center? It it intentional so they can get more "pass" tests? I doubt it, but makes you wonder.

Conversely, it is to the advantage of PCP to get you a "fail" so you get on the medicine and follow up visit never-ending treadmill?

I think in both cases I'm projecting worst case motivations. It is just a matter of timing and circumstances.

My doctor takes my BP with me sitting on the uncomfortable examining table and him usually talking to me. Talking is a no-no, and I find the posture uncomfortable. Still, he almost always gets a 120/80 from me.

Meanwhile, at the blood center, I am sitting in a nice chair with feet flat on the floor with my arm resting on the desk at heart level, and I frequently read something like 108/69 there.

Is it the machine? Is it the fact the blood center follows all the guidance?

Meanwhile, my dentist suddenly threw a BP test at me as a "surprise." It was a weird machine they put on my wrist and then made me move my arm to my chest which randomly seemed to activate it. It was mysterious to me and unexpected. It caused some anxiety even wondering how the machine works (what a weird machine). It called out a 140/80 on me. In the meantime, in the other room, I hear a guy complaining that his BP is never that high.

I think measuring BP first thing in the morning usually gives a higher reading.

As stated above, the 5 minute rest is very important, along with proper positioning.
My current PCP at Kaiser is the only one who I have had who actually does the correct procedure!
In the past, I always sat in the chair in the office, not on the table and requested a repeat read after 5 minutes, after other vitals and brief history was taken by medical assistant, before he/she left the room.
As Drs offices don't usually take the time to do readings correctly, it is most important for you to follow the procedure if you check yours at home.
Take a record of your daily readings to be entered into the medical record, or if your doc is on EPIC, you can message them with your readings, so at least you know they are somewhere on record!

My doc bases my Rx on my readings, not the ones in the office as I have white coat syndrome. It will be interesting what she does next week at my annual. I just took my BP this morning and it's at it lowest...112/70 ever :dance:! As someone mentioned in an earlier post, I believe it has to do with my diet, specifically cutting carbs. I am in week 4 of an extremely restrictive diet to try and determine if food is the culprit to constant vertigo/dizziness/nausea I'm having. This week I'm adding back 1 food (nuts). I usually take my BP once a week or so but will be doing so each day for the next couple of weeks to see a trend.

Just checked my BP after losing 10lbs from my bout with Covid. 106/67, not bad! But that is while on four different BP medications.

Meanwhile, my dentist suddenly threw a BP test at me as a "surprise." It was a weird machine they put on my wrist and then made me move my arm to my chest which randomly seemed to activate it. It was mysterious to me and unexpected. It caused some anxiety even wondering how the machine works (what a weird machine). It called out a 140/80 on me. In the meantime, in the other room, I hear a guy complaining that his BP is never that high.

That's interesting, the wrist device at my dentist alway pegs ~20 mmHg lower systolic than the doctor's office does. Doctor gets 127/81 and the wrist device at the dentist gets 105/72. My home measurements are more in line with the doctor.

Edit: Maybe because the dentist's chair is a lot more comfortable than the doctor's or the one I use at home for the test, plus I am usually sitting there relaxing in it for 5min or so before they take the reading.

That's interesting, the wrist device at my dentist alway pegs ~20 mmHg lower systolic than the doctor's office does. Doctor gets 127/81 and the wrist device at the dentist gets 105/72. My home measurements are more in line with the doctor.

Edit: Maybe because the dentist's chair is a lot more comfortable than the doctor's or the one I use at home for the test, plus I am usually sitting there relaxing in it for 5min or so before they take the reading.

I'll be ready next time so we'll see.

I think dentists screening for hypertension is a good thing. The only problem I see is some people may skip the dentist because of this. People can be really weird about things like BP measurements.

BP control has had a huge impact on reducing vascular related diseases. It really is a silent killer.

My BP ran around 130/85 for the last couple of decades. Over the years my weight slowly crept up, and my BP slowly crept up too. I was averaging around 140/90 a couple years ago, when I suddenly started seeing spikes in the 150+/95+ range. That concerned me enough that I finally agreed to start taking medicine. I already eat well, but don't necessarily get much exercise, and realistically knew I wouldn't be losing significant amounts of weight any time soon. I'm getting older, my body can't function like I'm 30 forever.

Unfortunately, I've spent the last couple years battling with different BP meds, lisinopril, hydrochlorothiazide, losartan, etc. with tons of negative side effects and very little effect on my BP. The last few months I've been on a combination of Amlodipine and Metoprolol and so far they've got my BP under 120/80 with minimal side effects. Hopefully that continues.

I started having premature atrial contractions (PAC's) last year and am still trying to get those under control. The BP meds have helped, but not eliminated the problem.

I am taking the lowest dose of Lisinopril and after trying a couple of others, find it is effective and side effects limited. BP 120/80.

Yes , Lisinopril for me too. I have just accepted that I need to take it to keep my BP in check.

Proper Treatment of Hypertension

1. Stop smoking (if applicable)
2. Reduce alcohol consumption
3. Regular exercise (150 mins/week)
4. Meditation
5. Anti hypertensive meds
6. Monitor Blood values for lipids, cholesterol and sugar

Like many here, my BP started to rise in my mid-fifties. Lisinopril 5mg was prescribed and it worked well until 10 years later. My VA doctor bumped me to 10mg and at the same time ordered a sleep study. The prognosis was moderate to severe sleep apnea. Now, after one year on a CPAP I'm back to 5mg of Lisinopril because the upper dosage was causing dizziness. Over the past 60 days of once-daily BP checks, my BP average is 118/59.

High BP and sleep apnea correlations are well documented. My BMI is 24 and the idea of sleep apnea was negated by a number of doctors. Much credit is given to a very sharp VA GP that helped me with this problem.

On the salt topic. I was surprised to see my BP readings of 150 over 100 once when getting my every 2 years truck driver physical. BP had been 130 over 80 generally, before that. I decided that the large nightly doses sodium bicarbonate (sodium being a salt, obviously) I was taking for heartburn might be the cause. So I stopped the sodium bicarbonate and in about a week the BP got back to 130 over 80. I hear that some folks are not affected by salt.

^Salt may be one of my culprits. BP was 157/79 two days ago, 141/80 yesterday, 132/75 this morning. Small data sample so it may be too early to tell.

Prior to 2 days ago, breakfast was McDonalds or donuts, no lunch, sometimes a healthy dinner - but almost always a big bowl of heavily salted popcorn for an evening snack.

No popcorn or bad food the last 2 days, so hopefully I've found the answer to battling high bp.

^Salt may be one of my culprits. BP was 157/79 two days ago, 141/80 yesterday, 132/75 this morning. Small data sample so it may be too early to tell.

Prior to 2 days ago, breakfast was McDonalds or donuts, no lunch, sometimes a healthy dinner - but almost always a big bowl of heavily salted popcorn for an evening snack.

No popcorn or bad food the last 2 days, so hopefully I've found the answer to battling high bp.

That is very promising, well done.

That is very promising, well done.

Thanks - I also used to have 1 or 2 beers a night maybe 5 times a week. No alcohol for the last few days. Maybe no alcohol helps lower bp too. Time will tell. But a nightly beer or 2 will be the first thing that gets reintroduced to the diet a few weeks down the road.

I am doing a few readings a day to get a good idea.
The HR is always about 50, systolic has been ~130, and diastolic between 70 and 80.
Before the lisinopril it was right at the 140/90 many times, with 140/100 one time. It looks like this dose is right.

Back
Top Bottom