High blood pressure / Hypertension

I've been recording BP daily at home for a while and getting ready for a road trip. Thinking about taking my Omron BP monitor on the road.

For you daily BP reading takers, do you take your BP monitor with you away from home?

I've been recording BP daily at home for a while and getting ready for a road trip. Thinking about taking my Omron BP monitor on the road.

For you daily BP reading takers, do you take your BP monitor with you away from home?

I don't normally take it on road trips.

However, the last road trip was during the week long period of 3 times a day recordings required by my GP so I did take it. This was 1 month after starting to take 5mg of Amlodipine each day. Very happy to say that my readings have come down from an average in the mid 140's to the high 120's. Lower figure was never too high (mid 80's) and now averages mid 70's.

I don't normally take it on road trips.

However, the last road trip was during the week long period of 3 times a day recordings required by my GP so I did take it. This was 1 month after starting to take 5mg of Amlodipine each day. Very happy to say that my readings have come down from an average in the mid 140's to the high 120's. Lower figure was never too high (mid 80's) and now averages mid 70's.

Great news Alan! That's a big drop.

I used to be around 142/82 in May. Now around 132/75. I cut back on fried foods, salt, sugar, soft drinks, and exercising a little more. But I don't know if there is one thing that is helping BP go down.

Mines been up lately, ran borderline for years, and Dr suggested Red Yeast rice and Fish oil supplements. They seemed to have helped.... but quit taking them over a year ago.

I'm going to get a blood test in July. I didn't have issues with my glucose levels last test but I can see if oatmeal impacts it. In general we eat bread only about once a week and it's a mix of AP, whole wheat, and oats. We keep our BMI in the 22-23 range. During sleep my heart rate drops down to the low 50's. I run ECGs every two weeks and the rhythm is indicated as normal. We still run, hike, rock climb, and bike to stay fit.

I got my blood tested last week and the daily dose of oatmeal keeps the meds away. The only supplements I am taking are Biotin to keep my hair thick and healthy, Vitamin D, Omega 3, and 81 mg aspirin for stroke mitigation. I was put on the aspirin protocol at age 48 per the UCLA guidelines. Frankly I don't want to stop my daily low dose aspirin. I had three of my childhood friends suffer strokes. One passed away earlier this year from his third stroke. The other two still have not fully recovered even after two years. My new doctor at Cedars-Sinai recommended I stay on it given that my body tolerates it. My CBC differential and comprehensive metabolic panel tests were all in normal range. Plain oatmeal is certainly not "magically delicious" like Lucky Charms, but it there are health benefits. It even brought my triglycerides down from 99 in the last test to 75 in last weeks test. My new doctor is okay and specializes in both cardiology and internal medicine. However, he is in his mid 70's like my previous doctor of over 20 years that just retired. Eventually I will have to find someone competent in their late 40's to monitor me for the next 20 years who is in the Cedars-Sinai or UCLA provider networks.

Component Your Value Standard Range Flag
Cholesterol 159 mg/dL <200 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 47 mg/dL > OR = 40 mg/dL
Triglycerides 75 mg/dL <150 mg/dL
LDL Calculated 96 mg/dL Reference range: <100

Desirable range <100 mg/dL for primary prevention;
<70 mg/dL for patients with CHD or diabetic patients
with > or = 2 CHD risk factors.

LDL-C is now calculated using the Martin-Hopkins
calculation, which is a validated novel method providing
better accuracy than the Friedewald equation in the
estimation of LDL-C.

Martin SS et al. JAMA. 2013;310(19): 2061-2068
(http://education.QuestDiagnostics.com/faq/FAQ164)

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 3.4 (calc) <5.0 (calc)
Non-HDL Cholesterol 112 mg/dL (calc) <130 mg/dL (calc)
For patients with diabetes plus 1 major ASCVD risk
factor, treating to a non-HDL-C goal of <100 mg/dL
(LDL-C of <70 mg/dL) is considered a therapeutic option.

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 56 ng/mL 30 - 100 ng/mL

Vitamin D Status 25-OH Vitamin D:

Deficiency: <20 ng/mL
Insufficiency: 20 - 29 ng/mL
Optimal: > or = 30 ng/mL

Hemoglobin A1C 5.6 % of total Hgb <5.7 % of total Hgb

For the purpose of screening for the presence of
diabetes:

<5.7% Consistent with the absence of diabetes 5.7-6.4% Consistent with increased risk for diabetes (prediabetes) > or =6.5% Consistent with diabetes

This assay result is consistent with a decreased risk
of diabetes.

Currently, no consensus exists regarding use of
hemoglobin A1c for diagnosis of diabetes in children.

According to American Diabetes Association (ADA)
guidelines, hemoglobin A1c <7.0% represents optimal
control in non-pregnant diabetic patients. Different
metrics may apply to specific patient populations.
Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes(ADA).

REPORT COMMENT:
FASTING:YES

General Information
Ordered by Dr. Ford

Collected on 07/12/2022 from BLOOD

Resulted on 07/13/2022 6:00 AM

Result Status: Final result

Great news Alan! That's a big drop.

I used to be around 142/82 in May. Now around 132/75. I cut back on fried foods, salt, sugar, soft drinks, and exercising a little more. But I don't know if there is one thing that is helping BP go down.

Sounds like you are doing great, and it probably isn’t one particular thing but the combination of things you are doing that is helping with the BP.

I just had my annual physical, age 78 3/4 (Damn I'm getting up there).

I have what my Doc says is "white coat syndrome" as when I am in her office, my BP tests high, but I have years of readings on my cell phone (Omron software) that indicates good (say ~110/65 on average). In the Doc's office it always is like ~140/90. I tested my BP device against theirs last year and it very close after several tests.

Anyway, nothing I can do about that.

All my numbers this year were very good with cholesterol well under 200 and triglycerides well under 100. All other organ functions were normal and no areas were starting to show loss of function.

I'm still taking just one med (Tamsulosin) for BPH and if I decided to get the urine flow fixed rather than take the med, I could do that, but the med works.

I just had my annual physical, age 78 3/4 (Damn I'm getting up there).

I have what my Doc says is "white coat syndrome" as when I am in her office, my BP tests high, but I have years of readings on my cell phone (Omron software) that indicates good (say ~110/65 on average). In the Doc's office it always is like ~140/90. I tested my BP device against theirs last year and it very close after several tests.

Anyway, nothing I can do about that.

All my numbers this year were very good with cholesterol well under 200 and triglycerides well under 100. All other organ functions were normal and no areas were starting to show loss of function.

I'm still taking just one med (Tamsulosin) for BPH and if I decided to get the urine flow fixed rather than take the med, I could do that, but the med works.

Sounds like you are in great shape - congrats! I wouldn't worry about the white coat syndrome. You only see your doc a couple of times a year, so as long as the rest of your life is low stress, you'll be fine.

Sounds like you are in great shape - congrats! I wouldn't worry about the white coat syndrome. You only see your doc a couple of times a year, so as long as the rest of your life is low stress, you'll be fine.

Knock on wood....still doing OK and I am playing a lot of golf these days. The friends I hang will are all around my age and all in pretty good health.

One older friend had a stroke late last year and didn't recover and eventually passed. That's what is so scary. He was pretty healthy too and had no symptoms.

I've had borderline BP my whole life and not treating it has cost me.
The cardiologist says I have thickened muscle wall in the heart due to it and that's not good for your electrical system.
I'm on my second go with BP medicine.
Last time I exercised right out of the bottom of it to the point that I would get dizzy, my BP got too low.
I have gained a bunch of weight back and the BP is right back in the bad area so I'm back on medicine.
What I have noticed is not a lot of bad side effects from it if that helps at all.
I'm currently on Lisinopril which in some studies has been shown to lower heart rate.
My resting heart rate has been going down and I'll be talking to the cardiologist about that.

I have been on several different BP meds, and now on Edaryclor, The first time I took it I walked up three steps and got dizzy, 6 hours later my BP has 90/57. I cut the pill in half and took 1/2 for years. Then a years later noted an increase in BP so started 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 at night. Recently I started a diet at and exercise, and I'm getting light headed at times, so I have again cut back. I thoughy the diet was going to be enough to keep my BP low and stopped BP med for a week, numbers were god until I just checked and had 146/79 HR at 58. That's very high for me, I know BP is normally a bit raised in the morning, but I have been up for 1-1/2 hours, so took my 1/2 pill. I'll recheck in 2 hrs.

At my last yearly checkup last August, my doc mentioned that my blood pressure was borderline high (147/76). He eluded that blood pressure medication could be in my future.

I don't want to go on any medications. Today I checked BP at 157/79. I need to correct the bp issue before my next dr appt in August. So I've got 4 months to do it.

I suspect that diet is the biggest culprit in my high bp. So I'll start fixing that.

I don't think weight is an issue. BMI between 25 and 26. I don't think lack of exercise is an issue. I exercise at least 5 days a week (run, bike, hike, weights)

For those of you battling high blood pressure, what works for you?

Do NOT ignore this. You will ding your kidneys. I did.

71 here, went for a dental cleaning last week. My hygienist always takes my BP. Yikes 143/80 this was after 2 hour drive to get to my dentist. So I kinda put it on the back burner until I was home and relaxed.

Used my monitor and I am still 140/80. I must admit to using a bit of salt in my diet during the summer here in AZ. Gave up salt for 3 days and back to under 120/70.

Do NOT ignore this. You will ding your kidneys. I did.

Wow - hope your kidneys recover/ have recovered.

Not ignoring - I'm monitoring and will give data to my Doc mid August and let him decide what to do.

But I'm seeing some improvement. I'm averaging 137/76 and falling. Dashed lines are individual date readings, Solid lines are averages. I only took single measurements daily up until early June. Since then taking 4 or 5 readings and computing an average for daily BP entry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 2.57.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 2.57.29 PM.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Wow - hope your kidneys recover/ have recovered.

Not ignoring - I'm monitoring and will give data to my Doc mid August and let him decide what to do.

But I'm seeing some improvement. I'm averaging 137/76 and falling. Dashed lines are individual date readings, Solid lines are averages. I only took single measurements daily up until early June. Since then taking 4 or 5 readings and computing an average for daily BP entry.

I also reduced my sugar intake by 50%. Lost 12 pounds and 10 points on BP.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom