I am Reading "UltraPrevention".........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting book, basically they think a lot of the diseases people suffer from are due to a lack of certain minerals and/or amino acids or proteins or vitamins in the body. They say a simple blood test can tell if you have a deficiency in one or more of those areas.

I asked my GP about it, but she is not a fan. Maybe for my next blood test, I'll request they test for my levels on all that stuff...........:)

May be Rich will comment. There is a local MD that will do this kind of work, and I am considering going to see her.........thoughts??

It cant be that simple.

Agreed.

However, SciAm had a wonderful article a few issues back on vitamin D, how it helps, and the fact that many of us are deficient, especially during the winter in the north.

I've been taking 1000 IU of D daily since October and haven't been sick or died yet!

FinanceDude- Be careful about requesting testing on level of such things in your blood. If your doctor cannot substantiate a disease process that she is trying to evaluate, your insurer will likely deny coverage. Esoteric testing is very very expensive and you will be left holding the bill.

I think this stuff about nutritional deficiencies is absolute garbage. We are far better fed in all respects ( proteins, vitamins, trace minerals) than any of our forefathers. Taking a daily multivitamin is fine. But unless you have specific symptoms, screening is worthless.

And the local MD who does this sort of thing is usally a fringe-type person who will want to sell you something. In our area, the guy usually wants to sell you chelation therapy too, cash only- no insurance accepted.

And the local MD who does this sort of thing is usally a fringe-type person who will want to sell you something. In our area, the guy usually wants to sell you chelation therapy too, cash only- no insurance accepted.

That's because of the big Pharma/big medicine CON*SPI*RACY!! They don't want us to learn of the benefits of Noni juice, homeotherapy, etc becase it threatens their MON*O*POLY! The only reason these alternative cures aren't being proven in double-blind studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals is the vested interests of BIG MED*I*CINE. Just like the SOB's at Exxon suppressed the 200 MPG carburetor!

That's because of the big Pharma/big medicine CON*SPI*RACY!! They don't want us to learn of the benefits of Noni juice, homeotherapy, etc becase it threatens their MON*O*POLY! The only reason these alternative cures aren't being proven in double-blind studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals is the vested interests of BIG MED*I*CINE. Just like the SOB's at Exxon suppressed the 200 MPG carburetor!

What the hell is noni juice?

Eat your fruits and veggies. A multivitamin can't hurt, though probably unnecessary unless you don't do the former. Live north? A touch of vitamin D is probably reasonable. Fats and sweets? You know the routine. Stay or get skinny and active. Wine's nice, too.

Then go forth and be happy.

But... for $189 I'll check your porcelain level. I take Paypal.

Diet Pepsi, homemade bacon cheeseburger, fried potato wedges(aka chips). Did have a small bowl of homemade veggie soup for desert. Equate(WM generic) multi vitamin as the magic silver bullet.

:D

heh heh heh - skipped running in the snow :rolleyes:.

Bookends of health with plenty of delicious sin in the middle!

I didn't live thirty years in New Orleans for nothing!

"Live to eat - not eat to live."

heh heh heh - ok ok so there are no studies to support my theory. I'll eat a bag of oranges tomorrow to atone - or something.

Bookends of health with plenty of delicious sin in the middle!

I didn't live thirty years in New Orleans for nothing!

"Live to eat - not eat to live."

heh heh heh - ok ok so there are no studies to support my theory. I'll eat a bag of oranges tomorrow to atone - or something.

I could live on fried potatoe wedges. With ranch or blue cheese dressing. Well maybe if you threw in some buffalo wings with extra hot sauce... :duh:

amen !

Diet Pepsi, homemade bacon cheeseburger, fried potato wedges(aka chips). Did have a small bowl of homemade veggie soup for desert. Equate(WM generic) multi vitamin as the magic silver bullet.

:D

heh heh heh - skipped running in the snow :rolleyes:.

With that diet, you'll live to be 120...........;)

Eat your fruits and veggies. A multivitamin can't hurt, though probably unnecessary unless you don't do the former. Live north? A touch of vitamin D is probably reasonable. Fats and sweets? You know the routine. Stay or get skinny and active. Wine's nice, too.

Then go forth and be happy.

But... for $189 I'll check your porcelain level. I take Paypal.

Ok, ok. How come a C-reactive protein test isn't a standard check for folks with a family history of high cholesterol? It's not like the test is brand new.

Back
Top Bottom