I may have made a mistake in provider selection for my Plan G

Telly, I am curious as to what your experience has been with AARP UHC plan since your switchover 2 years ago.

Boomer Benefits has recommended MOO to DH in FL and I came across your thread discussing MOO closing books and it does concern me. I may go with UHC for that reason as well.

We've had excellent experience the last 3 years with AARP UHC. We were on Plan F, and I was needing a new insulin pump. My wife was going to need an electric wheelchair. So 14 months ago, we changed from Plan G to Plan F because Plan F has no deductibles on "durable goods". The change in plans saved us substantial money.

My wife's up to 9 surgeries in under 4 years, and I have yet to had to pay any substantial amount for deductibles or co-pays. Cannot remember getting bills very often from hospitals.

We originally got our AARP UHC coverage thru Viva Benefits because my es-MegaCorp pays us about $1,500 a year thru Viva--like an HSA. We get checks in the mail monthly until the account is empty.

One issue is that I've heard that hospitals are having trouble getting $ out of United Healthcare right now. Sounds as if they're floating on monies owed to hospitals.

We've had excellent experience the last 3 years with AARP UHC. We were on Plan F, and I was needing a new insulin pump. My wife was going to need an electric wheelchair. So 14 months ago, we changed from Plan G to Plan F because Plan F has no deductibles on "durable goods". The change in plans saved us substantial money.

My wife's up to 9 surgeries in under 4 years, and I have yet to had to pay any substantial amount for deductibles or co-pays. Cannot remember getting bills very often from hospitals.

We originally got our AARP UHC coverage thru Viva Benefits because my es-MegaCorp pays us about $1,500 a year thru Viva--like an HSA. We get checks in the mail monthly until the account is empty.

One issue is that I've heard that hospitals are having trouble getting $ out of United Healthcare right now. Sounds as if they're floating on monies owed to hospitals.

What costs did Plan G have for "durable goods" ?

AARP/UHC has been fine, no complaints. I'm glad I made the switch.

About insurance agents/brokers... If one went to an ACME Insurance company agent (I think Wiley Coyote did :)), one would not be surprised if the agent says ACME Insurance is the greatest, and one should go with them. That's a given. But an independent agency, a broker, in my opinion, should do what is best for the customer, not colored by which insurance company pays them the best incentive to sign up another customer.

Now let's add in some obfuscation: Let's say that the broker says ACME Insurance is a very stable company, that they have the lowest rates (without getting into companies with lower AM Best financial stability ratings) for the prospective customer, and that ACME has not had a rate increase in the last 3 years. That sounds great! Taken by what is said, that can all be true and honest. But what is NOT being said? That the broker is fully aware of the book game, and it's ramifications on the customer longer-term? That ACME has a nice long-running incentive plan to agents to sign people up?

Thanks, Telly, for your update. Also thanks to the additional posters on this thread who added their thoughts. This is a big decision as DH has health conditions that would most likely not ever pass underwriting.

Back
Top Bottom