I'll Bring the Steaks

JOHNNIE36

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As mentioned in a previous thread, the family will be getting together in September for our birthday celebrations. I'll be 75, sister and BIL will be 70, brother and SIL will be 65. The get together is in NC as it's midpoint between Ohio (brother's home) and my home in FL, an all day drive for both of us. Brother brings stuff (beer, shrimp, more beer, cheese, beer,etc) and we bring stuff (booze, steaks, booze, golf clubs, booze, etc).

My question is what is the best way to transport the steaks 560 miles.
Naturally I'll put them in a small Igloo type cooler and keep them on ice all the way. I will probably buy them at least a week ahead of time and freeze them. When I freeze them, can I do it in a marinade? Would it be best not to marinade them? We'll get there on a Sunday and the steaks will probably be grilled Monday night. Maybe I shouldn't freeze them at all, rather buy them fresh Saturday, keep them in the fridge until Sunday morning and then put them on ice for the trip.

Any suggestions?

Buy them when you get there?

Personally, I've never been one to marinade steaks...but that's just my preference.

I would buy the steaks (I assume you mean beef) at least a week before the trip and leave them in the refrigerator. This will age them a bit...and will allow them to become very tender. The night before you leave, I suggest throwing them in the freezer. The next day you can ice them down before you leave. While driving to your destination, check and make sure the ice hasn't melted.

I hope y'all have a wonderful time! :flowers:

+1 on buy them when you get there!

We'll arrive about 6PM and sister will be ready with dinner. Normally they will grill salmon and she will put out quite a spread. Next morning she will fix breakfast we will all head to the golf course. There won't be time to go shopping. They live on the golf course and the good stores are an hour away. I'd rather go to the local butcher and select the steaks. I'm thinking rib eyes for the guys and filets for the girls since they are so picky about the least amount of fat.

Great idea about keeping them in the fridge for two-three days and then freeze them the night before we leave. The frozen steaks plus freezer packs plus crushed ice over everything should do the job.

Think I'll pass on the marinade. It's not for everypne. Thanks for the tip

I hope that you have a wonderful trip. I love the idea of getting together to celebrate the birthdays. Hope you have a Happy Birthday!

I love family reunions. Have a wonderful time!

Back
Top Bottom