Irish nursing homes

bmcgonig

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am in the process of looking for a nursing home for my mum in Ireland and came across this and I had to share. One of the attractions of this nursing home is

"Adjacent to one of Dublin’s best known traditional Pubs"

Accomodation | Belmont House Nursing Home

😁

I am in the process of looking for a nursing home for my mum in Ireland and came across this and I had to share. One of the attractions of this nursing home is

��

Why not? People are residents, not prisoners. If they are able to take a walk and meet a friend for a pint and some ceol agus craic* at the pub, isn't that improving their quality of life?

*ceol=music
craic=fun

Why not? People are residents, not prisoners. If they are able to take a walk and meet a friend for a pint at the pub, isn't that improving their quality of life?
Of course. I'm certainly not judging or objecting. I know the pub well. I see it as one of those "only in Ireland" marvels [emoji1]

Of course. I'm certainly not judging or objecting. I know the pub well. I see it as one of those "only in Ireland" marvels [emoji1]

Sounds like a great arrangement to me!

The NH where my MIL stays has a happy hour every Friday afternoon. DW is there with her mom right now! Residents are allowed 2 alcoholic drinks: 2 wines, 2 beers or 2 cocktails (cocktail selection is limited), or any combination. Guests must BYOB since the NH is not licensed to serve booze other than to residents. DW brings a flask of bourbon and orders a ginger ale.

But there is no pub within convenient strolling distance....... :(

place looks nice - always wanted to go to ireland

��

You might not want to automatically discount any nursing homes that don't specifically mention being adjacent to a nice pub. In Ireland, it might be considered an expected default requirement, like mentioning flush toilets!

An Irish pub with Guinness and trad music would sure help me deal with the infirmities of old age.

Hah! I like the order they list the pub in - right after access to church, but before shopping. ;)

-ERD50

Last edited:
Fabulous, and so different from how most NHs in the US are located. I know from decades of visiting them with my pets, in GA and TX anyway, they are tucked away from any opportunities for easy social interactions with the local community. Sad.

😁

I have a relative in a retirement home, and they have happy hour at 2pm everyday, no need to even go outside.
It causes a walker traffic jam :LOL:

My 90 year old mother has put off moving to an retirement home because she has not found one nearby her that allows alcohol at all. She is in the Ozarks. She now is looking in St. Louis, and she will find some there.

There are nice facilities anywhere--if you're willing to pay the price.

My mother was in a new generation assisted living/nursing home complex. She had a 1 bedroom apartment for about $2,000 per month including 2 meals daily. They had a Dutch chef and she ate in the nicest facility in the city. If she ever needed full nursing home facilities, they had it. Only problem was they held a $177k "security deposit" in escrow to keep the rip rap out--90% returned at her death.

My mother was in a new generation assisted living/nursing home complex. She had a 1 bedroom apartment for about $2,000 per month including 2 meals daily. They had a Dutch chef and she ate in the nicest facility in the city. If she ever needed full nursing home facilities, they had it. Only problem was they held a $177k "security deposit" in escrow to keep the rip rap out--90% returned at her death.
That seems reasonable. Where is the place?

Yes I read that. Some minor issues but good overall from what I could see. Did u see anything that I should be concerned about? Still have to visit and ask around.

I love how thorough the hiqa reports are.

I will read the report and get back to you.

Do they have a returning to your roots program?

I do not have any Irish blood in me. How do I apply?

Yes, that does sound like a good deal. My folks are paying $6,000 per month for a similar setup. They think that's the going rate. It's in NJ.

Every year when we go to Amsterdam we will see our friends from Ireland . It is so funny we walk down the street and I will yell hey Pat and every Irishman turns around.
I have tried to drink with him and at 4:00 Am I had to be taken home . Never try to keep up drinking with an Irishman . No Guiness for me looks too much like old motor oil . We drink the Cider .

Yes I read that. Some minor issues but good overall from what I could see. Did u see anything that I should be concerned about? Still have to visit and ask around.

I love how thorough the hiqa reports are.

I sent you a PM.

Having a Public House nearby would be a great benefit, I would think. One of the great things about them is that they are also family places, so when the little kids come to visit they can all get together at the pub. A great idea.

Poles can really drink too. But they also will serve you small courses throughout the night so you have food in your tummy at all times. At my son's polish wedding they served food every hour ( 1 course at a time) and people drank from 1:00pm until 3 am without being drunk.

Seems like that's fairly well related to the cost.

I know that in the Nordic countries alcohol is extremely expensive, and they don't show on that list.

Back
Top Bottom