It looks like dementia can be reversed!

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As I have posted elsewhere, I recently became interested in managing my own health. After some research, I adopted a ketogenic diet and have also used intermittent fasting to lose 50 lbs so far and reversed my pre-diabetes.

In the process, I have found some wondrous things:

Type 2 diabetes may be reversed with a ketogenic diet. It may even help fight cancer. See Dr. Annette Bosworth's account of saving her mother, "Any Way You Can". https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLGu62anfPbFDkdQj0p-hQwn"

Multiple sclerosis can be arrested and reversed. See how Dr. Terry Wahls reversed hers:
I have a friend with MS so this was exciting to learn.

Earlier, I had found credible claims that coconut oil could help those with Alzheimer's (sometimes called Type 3 diabetes). See Dr. Mary T. Newport here:

Then, I found out about Dr. Dale Bredesen here:
and here:

I bought and read his book, "The End of Alzheimer's". I believe it now.

All this stems primarily from reversing the damage done by eating sugar and carbohydrates and changing to a ketogenic diet. I am not afraid of dementia myself anymore. Something can be done.

I remembered imoldernu and sent him a PM on this subject. I hope it reaches him.

I have family members who suffered from dementia and I lost a dear friend to a terrible death due to type 2 diabetes. Now that I have found this information, I feel compelled to spread it. You can help yourself.

If you know someone with any of these problems, take a peek at the above references and use Google and YouTube to find more information. Make up your own mind. It all seems very credible to me.

Take care.

My understanding with Alzheimer’s is that it is a type of starving of the brain of energy from glucose, due to insulin resistance of the brain. That’s why it is sometimes called diabetes 3. This starving causes part of the brain to shrink. Ketones provide an alternative pathway for energy to the brain that bypasses the insulin resistance. So eating a ketogenic diet feeds the brain in this type of scenario providing some immediate improvement. In addition to the alternative energy pathway, a ketogenic diet in general drastically reduces insulin in the blood stream, so perhaps it also reverses the brain insulin resistance.

P.S. I’m sorry to inform you that imoldernu is no longer with us. https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...f-frugal-retirement-62251-26.html#post2374604

Last edited:
Thanks, Audrey,

I did not see that. The news saddens me.

And it seems unlikely that those sources would have been any help to him. They may help someone else, though. I plan to use them myself when the time comes.

Yes, you have the essence in a nutshell. Insulin resistance is the baddy and it is caused by sugar and carbs.

Ed

Last edited:
Backing up the Breseden research from another angle, doctors in Loma Linda (U.S. Blue Zone community of many Seventh Day Adventists) found very low rates of Alzheimer's compared to the surrounding communities-

"When I was first at Loma Linda University Medical Center in 2008, our data showed that less than 5 percent of our older patients had dementia. But when we went to communities right next door to Loma Linda, we saw markedly increased rates of dementia and stroke. This huge disparity confirmed the influence that community and lifestyle have on Alzheimer’s. Our patients in Loma Linda, as you know, have very different lifestyles than the average American: they are Seventh-Day Adventists, eat mostly vegetarian meals, exercise regularly, and have strong family and community ties."
Source: https://www.bluezones.com/2017/09/researchers-say-alzheimers-disease-cases-preventable-find/

The Loma Linda diets are not known for being ketogenic, but both the Breseden and Loma Linda diets are largely plant based.

Ah, that saddens me. I missed it because I was leaving for New Zealand. Imoldernu was always a great source of inspiration and wisdom. I was sorry as his (her) cognitive powers were declining. Will be missed!

I think he felt strongly that his cognitive ability was declining, yet to many of us here he seemed as eloquent and curious as ever. Perhaps it required at lot more effort, we’ll never know. But something else went wrong.

I think he felt strongly that his cognitive ability was declining, yet to many of us here he seemed as eloquent and curious as ever. Perhaps it required at lot more effort, we’ll never know. But something else went wrong.

Yes I remember he posted a few times that it took more work to post, but I recall the same that he still seemed himself.

His son joined briefly to update us to his passing in his long-running thread earlier this year.

I guess my dad's estimate of his time on this earth was almost correct. I am very sorry to say that imoldernu passed last week from acute myeloid leukemia. He was only diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I knew of his interest for this website and the members here. I've also been on forums with active members who "suddenly" disappear. I didn't want his inactivity to be misunderstood.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with him.

Wow that is crazy. I was on the Keto diet for two years after my husband was diagnosed with stage four cancer. We cut carbs dramatically. Me more than him.

This year I got my cholesterol checked at it was 439. That's right. Not a typo.
Needless to say, I'm no longer on Keto.

And I've lost 15 pounds since I went off that diet.

... Now that I have found this information, I feel compelled to spread it. ...
Any double-blind, peer reviewed studies published in reputable journals on any of this? They can be somewhat more reliable than anecdotes.

As to the link between Alzheimer's and insulin deficiency there are some studies (search the Mayo Clinic websites) that indicate some degree of correlation. Especially in individuals that have the APOE4 gene variant. A single instance of the gene seems to correlate to a roughly 15% increase in Alzheimer's risk, while 2 instances (inherited from both parents) increases the risk.

I think I read something like diabetics have a 7x likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s.

Wow that is crazy. I was on the Keto diet for two years after my husband was diagnosed with stage four cancer. We cut carbs dramatically. Me more than him.

This year I got my cholesterol checked at it was 439. That's right. Not a typo.
Needless to say, I'm no longer on Keto.

And I've lost 15 pounds since I went off that diet.

Have you gone back for another cholesterol check?

Any double-blind, peer reviewed studies published in reputable journals on any of this? They can be somewhat more reliable than anecdotes.

The Ornish Diet for reversing heart disease and the Breseden Protocols for reversing cognitive decline both have multiple studies in peer reviewed medical journals. The Ornish program is covered by Medicare: "The Lifestyle Heart Trial (5 year results reported by Ornish et al., JAMA 1998; 1 year results reported by Ornish et al., Lancet 1990) showed significant regression of coronary atherosclerosis measured by angiography in the experimental group randomly assigned to intensive lifestyle changes." The link above goes into detail on how the Ornish program met the goverment's criteria.

The Breseden protocols have studies in peer reviewed journals, but also critics like this paper: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/417431/pricey-protocol-not-proven-prevent-or-reverse-alzheimers-says-ucsf-neurologist. However, it is a fact that Loma Linda residents who largely follow Seventh Day Adventists plant based diets and healthy lifestyle factors have very low rates of Alzheimers' (and live 5 - 10 years longer) compared to the surrounding communities.

Two doctors who practiced in Loma Linda have a book out on the subject as well, and suggest many similar lifestyle changes as the Breseden book: "When I was first at Loma Linda University Medical Center in 2008, our data showed that less than 5 percent of our older patients had dementia. But when we went to communities right next door to Loma Linda, we saw markedly increased rates of dementia and stroke. This huge disparity confirmed the influence that community and lifestyle have on Alzheimer’s. Our patients in Loma Linda, as you know, have very different lifestyles than the average American: they are Seventh-Day Adventists, eat mostly vegetarian meals, exercise regularly, and have strong family and community ties."

As to the link between Alzheimer's and insulin deficiency there are some studies (search the Mayo Clinic websites) that indicate some degree of correlation. Especially in individuals that have the APOE4 gene variant. A single instance of the gene seems to correlate to a roughly 15% increase in Alzheimer's risk, while 2 instances (inherited from both parents) increases the risk.

You might find this article of interest: https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/06/26/diet-can-trump-the-alzheimers-gene-apoe/

"The highest frequency of ApoE4 in the world is in Nigeria, but Nigerians also have some of the lowest Alzheimer’s rates. To understand this paradox, one has to understand the role of ApoE. What does the ApoE gene do? ApoE is “the principal cholesterol carrier in the brain.” So, the Nigerians’ diet appeared to have trumped their genes, with their low cholesterol levels from their low intake of animal fat from living off of mainly grains and vegetables."

Have you gone back for another cholesterol check?

Yes, I got another cholesterol check and it had gone down (with medication). So with my doctors approval I went off the meds for six weeks, but it went back up to 263, so I'm back on meds now. My cholesterol has always been high, but with COVID-19 wrecking havoc on my exercise plan, it's above what my doctor considers safe without meds.

Kathe, sorry to hear that. Did you notice any difference in how you felt when off the cholesterol meds? Since many people report that statins give them headaches and other palpable side effects.

Yes, I got another cholesterol check and it had gone down (with medication). So with my doctors approval I went off the meds for six weeks, but it went back up to 263, so I'm back on meds now. My cholesterol has always been high, but with COVID-19 wrecking havoc on my exercise plan, it's above what my doctor considers safe without meds.

You can’t do a double blind placebo controlled diet study. How are you going to blind people to what they eat? How long would such a study need to go in and how many subjects do you need to hit a threshold of statistical significance? Would you keep people in a lab for years?

Nutrition studies of any kind are very difficult to begin with. It is a problem. I’m in the low carb camp myself. Just being low carb wipes most processed foods off my shopping list. I’m at high risk for diabetes and I’ve lost considerable weight with low carb, as well as raise my HDL-C, lowered my BP, and really lowered my triglycerides.

I don’t have any answers. I don’t think one substance such as coconut oil is going to make much difference though, and I think prospective nutrition studies are just about impossible.

Here is a Lancet Neurology editorial pointing out some of the issues with the Bredesen papers. https://memory.ucsf.edu/sites/memory.ucsf.edu/files/CanWeTrustTheEnd2020(0420).pdf
I am not a retMD but I was trained as a physicist and engineer. I asked that question pretty much knowing what the answer would be. My impression is that virtually all of the various specialized diets and magical healings are sold based on anecdotes, and usually pushed by charlatans and quacks who have something to sell. Chiropractors seem to be the worst IMO.

You can’t do a double blind placebo controlled diet study. How are you going to blind people to what they eat? How long would such a study need to go in and how many subjects do you need to hit a threshold of statistical significance? Would you keep people in a lab for years? ... I think prospective nutrition studies are just about impossible.
All true. Too many & unknown variables, experiments too short, sample sets too small to be statistically valid, ... The list goes on and on. This is a playing field where fraud cannot be easily challenged due to lack of hard facts.

Further exposing my self to thrown bricks, I'll say that my guess is that a lot of these schemes seem to be anecdotally successful for some people due to a sort of Hawthorne Effect, where mere observation produces positive results. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect)

I've read the Breseden book. While I'm not sure about the expensive supplement part, most of what he tests for and recommends for patients is in the can't hurt - might help categories, like getting enough sleep, don't eat before bedtime, eating more produce and checking B12 and vitamin D levels.

Clearly there are other countries, and the Seventh Day Adventists here in the U.S. in Loma Linda, where the populations have very different diets and lifestyles from most Americans, and they are not getting Alzheimer's at the same rates, so why not try to figure out what they are doing right and copy them? I don't find it far fetched to believe that people who change their diets and lifestyle habits can improve their brains.

Last edited:
On the "type" of best diet front, this is an interesting find from The American Gut project:

"Knight adds that he and his team can guess a person’s diet by the bacteria predominant in his or her microbiome. The presence of the strain Oxalobacter suggests that the individual consumes lots of leafy green vegetables. People with Prevotella tend to have diets heavy in pasta, sugar, or other carbs, and the strain Bacteroides corresponds with diets that include plenty of meat. So far, data from the food frequency questionnaires of American Gut Project participants show that when people describe their diets as Western, Mediterranean, vegan, or Paleo, there is little effect on the microbiome, “suggesting that subtle details of diet are more important than overall self-reported categories,” Knight says."

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/guts-and-glory-225377/

Last edited:
We asked a neurologist (PI on clinical trials for Alzheimer’s treatments) about his opinion of the Bredesen protocol.

Though tactfully expressed, his thoughts basically mirrored those expressed in the Lancet article, i.e.: the Bredesen protocol is somewhat vague in implementation, inaccurately measured in its success rate, and bottom line, not a miraculous cure for dementia. If it were, that would be well known by now, and millions of the afflicted, and their families, would be diligently effecting such a self-cure, and publicizing it.

The neurologist we spoke with was not an individual given to egotism, ideology or bluster. He was humble, careful in his thought process, deliberate in his choice of words, scientific in his outlook. Not the kind of individual to be blinded by his own ego.

Although lifestyle, diet, etc. are all important risk factors, that seems to be all that they are. They move the probability needle, but don’t seem to constitute a cure, unfortunately.

We asked a neurologist (PI on clinical trials for Alzheimer’s treatments) about his opinion of the Bredesen protocol.

Though tactfully expressed, his thoughts basically mirrored those expressed in the Lancet article, i.e.: the Bredesen protocol is somewhat vague in implementation, inaccurately measured in its success rate, and bottom line, not a miraculous cure for dementia. If it were, that would be well known by now, and millions of the afflicted, and their families, would be diligently effecting such a self-cure, and publicizing it.

The neurologist we spoke with was not an individual given to egotism, ideology or bluster. He was humble, careful in his thought process, deliberate in his choice of words, scientific in his outlook. Not the kind of individual to be blinded by his own ego.

Although lifestyle, diet, etc. are all important risk factors, that seems to be all that they are. They move the probability needle, but don’t seem to constitute a cure, unfortunately.

If diet and exercise don't move the needle much, why would such a small percentage of seniors in Loma Linda have Alzheimer's compared to the surrounding communities?

Back
Top Bottom