Knee replacement

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Going in for a knee replacement Oct 3rd. Not real excited about it but the pain has now become constant and bending a stiff knee with no cartilage has ceased to be a fun adventure in walking. I have a good surgeon (I think) but there are never any guarantees. What I am most concerned with is the recovery and rehab especially the length of down time and the durability of the artificial knee. I really hate going under anesthesia too. What ever happened to that fun retirement I saved up for? :(

Cheers!

Badger, my father-in-law had hip replacement after a fall (at age 83) and was up and walking within a day or two and without using his wheeled walking aid two weeks later. So, it can be easy for some. Perhaps you too.

-BB

One thing you need to make absolute sure of and take VERY seriously is your physical therapy/rehab. DO NOT skimp on this. You will most likely cry like a baby the first few therapy/rehab sessions but work hard and work through the pain. This is a serious "no pain no gain" situation. I wish you well.

Mike

I used vitals.com and healthgrades.com to get an idea of what doctor I should go to.

As mentioned, rehab is the greatest influence under your control in how well your quality of life will improve after the surgery. One thing that will help with that is to be in the best shape you can be before the surgery. If they gave you any recommended exercises these weeks leading up to the date, do them. If you like to exercise, do it even through the pain, if possible (this is what my physical therapist and surgeon recommended, because the knee is getting replaced anyway so who cares if it gets damaged more?).

I'm four months into my own knee replacement. Range of motion is as good as it's going to get, which is about back to normal, because I followed therapy instructions to a T. Life is pretty much back to normal, except swelling and stiffness and general pain still bother me, and is expected to do so for a good solid year after surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and all that comes after in getting back to a better quality of life!

Badger, my father-in-law had hip replacement after a fall (at age 83) and was up and walking within a day or two and without using his wheeled walking aid two weeks later. So, it can be easy for some. Perhaps you too.

-BB

unfortunately Bryan knees are in general much worst than hips.

op, yes they will get you up and walking hours after surgery but you will definitely have pain.

I had my left knee replaced in December 2016. here are some tips that worked for me. YMMV

1) pain meds are your friend. Now is NOT the time to be a hero. take them as instructed. you want to stay ahead of the pain.

2) ICE, ICE, Baby and elevate. this is your mantra for the first three weeks

3) bonesmart.org is an excellent website for joint replacement. invaluable information. sign up.

Last edited:
DO NOT measure yourself by others. some people get their ROM quickly, others take much longer. I'm 10 months out and still have bad days

this picture sums up rehab nicely

Attachments

• moms pick.jpg
    moms pick.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 166
10 months into knee replacement. New knee is wonderful! No pain except when weather changes and it's short lived and not all that painfull i.e. no comparison to my pain before the surgery.

Suggestions-
1. Positive attitude is very important.

2. Rehab is an all day thing not just one hour with the physical therapist. Walk, stretch, bend, and walk some more. Youtube has some great video's on knee replacement exercises

3. Take pain medication before rehab so they can really 'stretch' your muscles (if your not crying your not trying:dance:)

4. Get out of the house, and do stuff; restaurants, walk in the park, shopping etc.

Bottom line- I am one of those many who say " I wish I had done it sooner"

I was told, 19 years ago last month, that "Sooner or later" I'd require both knees to be replaced.......luckily for me that time has not yet come.....but...every morning my body sings this song to me, and then hums the tune all day/night:

. I really hate going under anesthesia too. What ever happened to that fun retirement I saved up for? :(

Cheers!
My SO had both his knees done with spinal anesthesia and sedation. He was concerned about hearing things but He was pleasantly surprised .Plus the spinal wears off gradually so no sudden onset of pain.

DW had a knee replacement last Monday. I'm writing this while she is in her second outpatient rehab PT appointment. She had a few days of pain but is now scooting around the house with her walker quite easily. She hopes to just use a cane after surgical follow up next week. Getting in and out of the car was difficult the first day or two, but is now a breeze. Bumps while driving were uncomfortable but not as bad anymore. She's gone from not wanting her second knee done to wanting to get it scheduled as soon as her surgeon will let her.

My sister has (had) knock knees. Just had the left done 30 days ago. She's having the other one done in a month because all she does now is walk in circles.

My sister has (had) knock knees. Just had the left done 30 days ago. She's having the other one done in a month because all she does now is walk in circles.

:LOL::LOL:

Thanks for all the replies. As anxious as I am about the surgery I am more so about the recovery and down time not to mention things that could go wrong. These darn TV commercials from lawyers about litigation for failed prosthesis aren't helping either.

Cheers!

3) bonesmart.org is an excellent website for joint replacement. invaluable information. sign up.

Highly recommend bonesmart.org.

I learned so much from those who went before me. Most helpful forum.

You're getting good advice here. I had both knees done in 2016. Take your pain meds as directed, go to your PT sessions, exercise at home. I got a medicine ball for my second knee to use at home, seemed to strengthen faster. Think it was $5 on eBay.

DO NOT measure yourself by others. some people get their ROM quickly, others take much longer. I'm 10 months out and still have bad days

this picture sums up rehab nicely

:D

Just got the word yesterday. They moved the surgery up to next week. :eek: Glad to have it sooner. I hate waiting. It took a few years and the pain getting too much to finally give in to having it done. Waiting just makes me more anxious.

Cheers!

Just got the word yesterday. They moved the surgery up to next week. :eek: Glad to have it sooner. I hate waiting. It took a few years and the pain getting too much to finally give in to having it done. Waiting just makes me more anxious.

Cheers!
I am so happy for you! It won't be long before this is all behind you and you will be telling us how great it is to have a brand new knee. :D

Last edited:
DW will have had her knee replacement two weeks ago Monday. We drove two hours to a funeral yesterday and looked at some Jersey shore homes today. The key if taking the meds at the right time and a good pillow under the leg to absorb the shocks from the bumps in the road. She's doing great and getting around well with a walker or a cane.

Five weeks into rehab from my knee replacement. My physical therapist is great although some of the stretches and exercises can be challenging. Some are downright unpleasant. Knee is still stiff and aches but slowly getting better. Yesterday at PT I could get 121 degrees flexion on my own and 125 with his assistance (whew!). Generally it is not more than 90 or so when I first sit down. I understand the goal is around 135 degrees. That is going to take some work.

After 3 weeks I quit taking most of the meds and particularly the Oxycodone. Too many side affects that required other meds to address those. Still carry a walking stick to occasionally help with balance and have succumbed to using an electric cart if in Home Depot, Costco or similar large store.

I understand this will take some time but I am so impatient to get back to being able to walk more normally instead of like John Wayne and I can't wait to get on a bicycle. In the mean time I will have to use a stationary bike. When I heard that they get you up and walking the day of surgery I was hoping for a faster recovery. Then I found out how the surgery is done and the carpentry tools that are used.

However, since I quit the heavy meds I am driving again. It was the left knee so I don't use it for driving. That has helped with a little positive reinforcement.

I can't imagine what those folks went through who had both knees done at the same time. I can understand why that is not recommended.

Cheers!

I believe both knees at the same time is not rcmmended because of physician concern with overarching medical stress ...twice the chance for issues and potentially slower return to the vertical and movement.

I had a hip done 17 years at 45 yo (horses, motorcycles, etc) ...back at work in a month. Walking with crutch same day. I aggressively addressed rehab and was walking over a mile in the neighborhood with a cane in two weeks...didn't go to work earlier cause listens to too many folks saying not to - ski at five weeks.

Friend just did second kne ...had both hips done five years ago ...was on TV talking about it a month after the last knee.

Another friend had knees done 10 days apart, painted his house over the next month ...I called after two weeks and he and wife were out at mall shopping.

Thoughts:
- get off serious painkillers asap ...ALWAYS feel a little pain so you know where the edge is ...your body and brain don't do well with pain meds ...last resort stuff. You will need them for 2-5 days
- get in shape BEFORE your surgery
- exercise as much as is reasonable and make the decisions yourself where the exercise and mobility edge is ...don't blindly listen to doctors
- ATTITUDE IS ALMOST EVERYTHING
- hydrate a lot in the hospital after the surgery ....drink water!!!

Back
Top Bottom