Liposuction?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife is toying with the idea of having liposuction to remove stubborn tummy fat. Has anyone had this procedure done and are you satisified with the results?

Wasn't it negatively in the new some years ago and even recently? I googled it and there are some stories probably worth reviewing before committing.

If I were to do something like that, I would utilize a board certified plastic, cosmetic, or dermatologic surgeon. And one who does that numerous times monthly, making sure to contour the area and remove the fatty tissue evenly.
There can be quite a bit of trauma/bruising, and blood loss if not careful.
Do diligent research and reviews!
I have two friends who had "tummy tucks and fat removal after dieting and weight loss. One gained back weight and fatty tissue, one maintained and looks good to this day.

Maybe consider going overseas for the surgery. It is very common in Brazil. Practice makes perfect?

If I were to do something like that, I would utilize a board certified plastic, cosmetic, or dermatologic surgeon. And one who does that numerous times monthly, making sure to contour the area and remove the fatty tissue evenly.
There can be quite a bit of trauma/bruising, and blood loss if not careful.
Do diligent research and reviews!
I have two friends who had "tummy tucks and fat removal after dieting and weight loss. One gained back weight and fatty tissue, one maintained and looks good to this day.

Yes, and I'd go through a hospital physician, perhaps with Cleveland or Mayo, vs a stand alone.

I'd want to know the risks and drawbacks. There are also other less-invasive procedures advertised these days, so I'd want to work with a trusted doctor and see their solution to the problem, vs. walking in and asking for a specific procedure.

Back in the day, I used to enjoy reading stories about people who underwent plastic surgery. You know, since then, surgery has advanced significantly, but I'm convinced that such operations still carry many risks that are better to be familiar with before taking such a step.

Besides, often when I see such things (except in situations where the surgery is necessary), I ask people whether it will really make them happier. Or perhaps a better option would be to accept themselves?

I know tons of women who had plastic surgery (of other kinds). No regrets or complications. . . I don't think it is that big of a deal for most unless you are going to a shady little clinic in a foreign country. . .

Do your due diligence selecting a board certified plastic surgeon if she goes that route.

I've not had any so I can't comment directly.

Last edited:
I have not had this done, but I have a friend who had it done - twice. (She regained the weight after the first procedure and it came back in slightly different places which she did not appreciate.)

Try to pick a top notch surgeon, and get reviews. Their advertisements don't show the unhappy people.

I wish your wife the best.

I totally agree with you. It seems like people are more focused on their looks nowadays and are getting more plastic surgeries, not just liposuction. This raises beauty standards and leads to even more surgeries. It would be better if people accepted themselves, became happier, and spent less on cosmetic procedures.

Totally agree.
All these folks with their "improved" looks are by comparison making me look even more ugly ;) :LOL:

There is really no such thing as 'stubborn fat' there is just fat. Meaning that losing weight would be effective in reducing overall fat, including 'stubborn fat.'

Given the cost and risks of surgery, wouldn't this be a more sensible approach, including perhaps a visit to a luxury spa to assist in doing so in pleasant comfort?

Removing fat without addressing the underlying overeating that placed it there in the first place is just a bandaid approach otherwise, IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe OP's wife needs to try out those new fat reducing drugs that work so well. Unless of course she weighs less than ~125 lbs already..

I know when I look down, I see my large tummy, and I could stand to lose 40 lbs, to be back at my 20 yr old weight. The tummy might be 10 out of the 40 lbs that are scattered all over my body.

But, especially at a certain age, no amount of reasonable weight loss is going to get rid of an old paunch, or a saggy tummy. Weight doesn't disappear from the places we want it too. And if OP's DW isn't much overweight beyond the area that really bothers her, then dropping weight will likely not help much.

It might even make things worse - as the saying goes, at a certain point, you have to choose between your a$$ and your face (over 50 and want a skinny bum? your face will be saggy or hollow if you get to your goal weight)

There is no such thing as "spot training" or targeting an area of the body for reduction via diet/exercise.

It's very easy for us to sit here and say "oh why just do xyz.." but we're taking a leap here and assuming she hasn't taken the normal steps and is still left with something that bothers her and she can afford to correct and wants to pursue.

This is a very personal decision, and I'm not sure if you're looking for info to talk her into/out of the decision, or if she is. Since you asked:

I've seen the consequences of a late 60's woman have her body carved up in the name of vanity - face lift, tummy tuck, breast reduction/restoration, and liposuction and a butt lift a few years later. Said it was uncomfortable healing, with unpleasant looking scars initially but they fade somewhat over time (like several years). And even with that, still weighs over 160 at 5'4" and has a belly worthy of an imminent delivery. Even more than before, that weight is at her waist.

Does this lady "look better" now? Yes, fully dressed in the right kind of loose-fitting top. The weight was always her problem, but how that shows up on one's body is genetic. Would I have recommended any of that for her, or paid for it? Absolutely not.

But, not my wife/partner/roomie and I don't live within that body 24/7, she does, so I try hard to avoiding making judgements.

In my close circle, a 20+ yo male cousin, a 40+ yo obese woman (never had children) and slim pretty 60+ yo woman, plastic surgery had improved their self confidence. The male cousin and 40+ yo woman had liposuction in the tummy and without major complications.

We get certain body shape based on our genetics. The male cousin was not heavy/overweight but he did had quite a bit of belly fat. He looked great after his procedure. The 40+ yo woman should have lost weight before even getting liposuction. Her problem was her weight, belly fat was not the main cause.

The slim pretty 60+ yo woman hangs around with other women who are also married to very wealthy men. They all get plastic surgery as though it's a competition. They also seem to be afraid to lose their wealthy spouses and want to look younger. It's not a life that I understand but they do what they do and I do me.

I would advise to get the best plastic surgeon out there to get the liposuction done. It is a major procedure. People do die from complications.

I would advise to get the best plastic surgeon out there to get the liposuction done. It is a major procedure. People do die from complications.

A local business owner's sister I knew casually had liposuction done a few years ago in Mexico. She came back to Texas in a wooden box. Choose your surgeon carefully.

Back in the day, I used to enjoy reading stories about people who underwent plastic surgery. You know, since then, surgery has advanced significantly, but I'm convinced that such operations still carry many risks that are better to be familiar with before taking such a step.

Besides, often when I see such things (except in situations where the surgery is necessary), I ask people whether it will really make them happier. Or perhaps a better option would be to accept themselves?

I went to a birthday party of one of DWs friends... met people that I had never met before... was surprised that most of the women there had something done... Botox seemed to be of choice but some had other surgeries... most of them kinda looked 'fake' IMO but they seemed to be happy...

There is really no such thing as 'stubborn fat' there is just fat. Meaning that losing weight would be effective in reducing overall fat, including 'stubborn fat.'

Fat is fat. If diet and exercise isn't adjusted the fat will come right back and the money was wasted.

If diet and exercise are adjusted then liposuction would not be needed.

But, especially at a certain age, no amount of reasonable weight loss is going to get rid of an old paunch, or a saggy tummy. Weight doesn't disappear from the places we want it too. And if OP's DW isn't much overweight beyond the area that really bothers her, then dropping weight will likely not help much.

Paunch is just another word for fat. Strength training will firm up soft and saggy areas and a proper diet will reduce excess fat. It might not be easy but the math (calories in vs calories out) doesn't lie.

Paunch is just another word for fat. Strength training will firm up soft and saggy areas and a proper diet will reduce excess fat. It might not be easy but the math (calories in vs calories out) doesn't lie.

But there is nothing that will effectively target old belly fat. 100 million landfill copies of "Abs of Steel" will tell that story. Sure, you can gain a little muscle in your ab area, but not to the point of slim definition.

Women, especially older women, if truly making changes, after a few months might manage to drop say, 15-20lbs (if they are very disciplined and lucky, and concentrate on maintaining/gaining muscle and not just cardio'ing their way to unhealthy skinny) and might find they lost a cup size in their boobs, and their legs are a bit thinner, their ass is flatter - in the not-good way, and their face is a bit more jowly and saggy, but nope, that tummy is still there.

Fat loss doesn't come evenly across the whole body.

I just don't care for all the judgment against a stranger here, and it probably leads to a lot of folks NOT wanting to ask these questions, as the "Oh, you should just..." crowd comes out in full force.

But there is nothing that will effectively target old belly fat. 100 million landfill copies of "Abs of Steel" will tell that story. Sure, you can gain a little muscle in your ab area, but not to the point of slim definition.

Women, especially older women, if truly making changes, after a few months might manage to drop say, 15-20lbs (if they are very disciplined and lucky, and concentrate on maintaining/gaining muscle and not just cardio'ing their way to unhealthy skinny) and might find they lost a cup size in their boobs, and their legs are a bit thinner, their ass is flatter - in the not-good way, and their face is a bit more jowly and saggy, but nope, that tummy is still there.

I just don't care for all the judgment against a stranger here, and it probably leads to a lot of folks NOT wanting to ask these questions, as the "Oh, you should just..." crowd comes out in full force.
Math isn't judgmental. Eat less calories than you burn off and you will lose fat, even "old belly fat", and even if it comes off last after fat in other places.

That's not an opinion, it's a proven fact.

Actually, you can target muscle building in the waist area. We have a concierge doctor and he has a fancy machine which measures fats and muscles throughout the body. We have an annual physical where we stand on the machine and the MA also does measurement of the waist.

My weight has remained the same as last year. My waist line is 2 inches smaller this year. The report that is generated by the machine shows that I have more muscles in my waist area/torso compared to last year.

I haven't done more exercise but I am turning my body more through my golf swing for the past few months.

It might even make things worse - as the saying goes, at a certain point, you have to choose between your a$$ and your face (over 50 and want a skinny bum? your face will be saggy or hollow if you get to your goal weight)

There is no such thing as "spot training" or targeting an area of the body for reduction via diet/exercise.

It's very easy for us to sit here and say "oh why just do xyz.." but we're taking a leap here and assuming she hasn't taken the normal steps and is still left with something that bothers her and she can afford to correct and wants to pursue.

I think what you are describing is more along the lines of a tummy tuck, which is generally done to tighten up stretched skin that cannot be un-stretched on its own, not liposuction which is to vacuum out/remove excess fat cells.

Excessive fat cells are created as a result of overeating, which is why removing them via a potentially risky liposuction procedure may well turn out not to be a one time cure all. If the overeating that caused the excess fat cells to come into being in the first place isn't addressed, they will simply be recreated and the individual will be back where they started in time. That makes it a very different topic of discussion as compared to a more one-and-done cosmetic procedure such as a tummy tuck IMO.

I'll also toss out there to the OP that while already trim, I recently lost 10 pounds sort of just for fun/vanity, and am extremely pleased at how firm things are pretty much everywhere now, even as I enter my 60's. So it can be done without placing one's life or wealth at risk. (How? The old fashioned way - I counted calories eaten minus calories burned, and made sure the total was under my losing weight threshold of 1200 calories a day.)

Last edited:
I agree with Aerides.

I've had a lean, toned stomach my whole life. In my late 60's, it is beginning to pouch slightly, no matter how many crunches I do or how many cookies I refuse. Gravity and genetics always win in time.

Having no wealthy husband to hang onto, and being afraid of surgery, I'll just keep exercising to maintain core strength as long as I can, and perhaps wear a foundation garment, should I want to step out in a tight red dress.

Nevertheless, if somebody else wants a little surgical help for their waistline, more power to him or her.

Finally, my thought, for the "he/she looks fake" crowd, is to consider: how much worse would they look if they'd done nothing? You can bet the person being criticized, has considered this.

I make the same argument for hair dye (nobody thinks it fools anyone - they just think gray looks awful on them), Botox, and everything else we do to look a little better for just a little longer.

Math isn't judgmental. Eat less calories than you burn off and you will lose fat, even "old belly fat", and even if it comes off last after fat in other places.

No, it's opinion. Because it relies on the obsolete and often disproven idea that we "burn" calories. Metabolism is far more complex.

Nope... it is not...

Way back when I was young both my dad and mom were overweight... both went on a 1200 calories a day diet... both started to lose weight...

But after a month of so mom started to put some back on... the body can go into a starvation mode and even calorie reduction (unless you starve yourself) will not work..

I was shocked about this.. and no, my mom was not cheating...

No, it's opinion. Because it relies on the obsolete and often disproven idea that we "burn" calories. Metabolism is far more complex.

Yes, metabolism is complex but if you burn more calories than you take in you WILL lose weight.

It's not opinion, it's proven fact. No one is immune to the laws of physics.

Back
Top Bottom