Low Carb Diet

My doctor keeps referring me to research on the evils of the keto diet but I never feel better than when I'm on it. All the eggs and bacon you can eat? What's not to love......

The Atkins Diet and South Beach Diet are both light versions of the keto diet. The book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" is kind of the bible of keto eating but it is a detailed read. An easier, more fun approach is the book "Eat Bacon, Don't Jog." Actually a very good book in general.

I try to be in the sub 25 gram plan which almost requires you to use My Fitness Pal (or something similar) to scan bar codes and get very accurate carb measures. It is very easy to creep up over 50 - 100 grams if you aren't paying attention as carbs are hidden in almost everything. Some of the hard core approaches have you eat nothing but meat for 2 weeks and then slowly add healthy carbs in.

The initial weight loss is typically water weight since water retention goes down on keto. I could lose 5-10% of body weight in a week going from non-keto to keto. You definitely will see the belly fat that never seems to go away disappear if you stay ultra low carb for the first 2 weeks as your body adapts to burning fat for energy.

As someone else mentioned, it isn't really a diet, it's more of a different approach to how you eat. As with any sudden change, you have to be in tune to your body and any changes but for most folks, it certainly seems to work. You can also cycle out of it periodically but you'll probably find the foods you used to gravitate towards (sweets, breads, etc.) won't be as appealing anymore.

Research it yourself rather than trust a bunch of RIS (random internet stranger) but I am a big fan of it.

I went low carb high fat about seven months ago, after reading Volek and Phinney’s “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.” I tried to limit carbs to about 50g but never counted carb grams or calories; I just stopped eating bread, chips, starches and sugars, including most fruits. I hoped to lose 10 lbs. or so but instead lost 16 lbs. so that I now weigh the same as I did in high school.

One of the reasons I went keto was for better athletic training and performance. For the first three months my endurance really suffered but then began steadily improving. Now I’m able to exercise without fueling with carbohydrate gels or sugary sports drinks, and I don’t need as many rest days.

My doctor was curious to see whether my cholesteral would be affected by the high fat diet (I told her I eat a lot of bacon and other meats). My LDL was exactly the same at 151, triglycerides rose from 54 to 56 and HDL rose from 68 to 71. My A1C stayed about the same which was a mild disappointment to me but my doctor was not concerned, and seemed perfectly ok with my choices.

Overall, I’m very happy with this plan. I find that compliance is easy because the craving for carbs subsides after just a few days without them.

The easiest way to cut carbs for me was to drastically reduce the amount of sugar and highly processed carbs in my diet. I worry less about the carbs in Whole Foods like beans, nuts, berries, etc. I do limit starchy veggies like peas and corn also.

CICO does not take into account how the food we eat affects are bodies and changes how our bodies process and STORE calories. From my studies we need to control our insulin response to the calories we eat. Insulin = fat fertilizer.

Earlier I mentioned we eat a low carb whole food diet (almost nothing with an ingredient list). This has worked for us both. Two tips if you are looking at a low carb diet; 1) don't eat low carb packaged crap (its still crap). 2) Don't skimp on the fat.

My typical lunch is shown below. Lots of veggies, with a splash of homemade vinaigrette, roast chicken and several tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Attachments

• IMG_20180119_111609498.jpg
    IMG_20180119_111609498.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 64
The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods

Yeah, but these are not the problem: they are all extremely healthy foods. This January I signed on with a nutritionist for three month monitoring, with the goal of losing 10 lbs and the bigger goal of consistently eating healthy. The mantra is EAT REAL FOOD. These foods are all on the list. None are foods that have kept me slightly overweight for some years. What has been eliminated are sugary products, low-fat products, fast food, all "white" products like bread, pasta, white rice, and other simple carbs. The diet includes lots of protein, lots of good fats, lots of veggies, some fruit.
It feels very good to eat this way.

This is what we do also. And, we have kept it up for several years. :)

We do something similar. First visit to our holistic doctor and the advice was stop eating grains and dairy (similar to a Paleo diet). That helped a lot. Now it's - cut down on the sugar. We're getting there. We rarely eat out, but when we do, it's some sort of meat and vegetable. Most often salad with grilled chicken. Almost every restaurant has that. I'm a big believer in the success and practicality of a diet that is one you can live with every day versus one that you practice until you lose a certain weight. IMHO, it needs to be a lifestyle, not a diet. It has to be something that becomes a natural way to eat. Of course exception being various health issues lie diabetes for example.

exactly, this is the point of that book I mentioned that apparently no one else reading this has read. Too bad.

My diabetic friends claim a benefit from a low carb lifestyle, actually.

unfortunately, too many of them also have an addiction to junk food, or were raised on it or both, so it is difficult to change, and may well be what brought on the type 2 version of the disease for them (the junk food that is)

I was diagnosed Type 2 a year ago based on a high A1C number. With a low carb (but not excessively so, about 200-240g carb per day which is a lot less than I used to eat) plus bumping up my exercise somewhat, I lost about 20 lb the first 6 months (about 10% of my body weight) but have leveled off over the last 6. Last A1C was at the upper limit of normal as well as other bloodwork improving significantly.

Larry

I get a lot more satiation from fats and protein than from carbs.

The problem for me is I like a lot of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and other plant-based foods that make it very hard to stay below 100g of carbs a day. That's about 400 calories out of 1800-2000.

That's a lot easier to do when I have a protein shake with coconut oil to increase the amount of protein and fats, while still hitting a low carb limit.

I've found I'm happiest at about an even split between all three.

I would never cut out any of those foods for a diet. I think if most people cut out most bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and high sugar items, they will tend to lose weight.

My problem is not too many fruits and veggies. It’s too much McDonalds.

I'm not totally surprised that the nutritionist I'm seeing has started me on a path where I eat more than previously (even though part of the goal is weight loss). It is all about avoiding blood sugar spikes, which tend to set off sugar or carb cravings for me. I am now eating three meals a day and two snacks, each with protein, fat, and carbs (veggies, fruit). This is a big contrast to my previous habit of two meals a day (and then unlimited snacking when I felt deprived). The only hard part is it takes more planning. My newly bought huge stack of Rubbermaid containers from amazon (thanks to the What was your Last Purchase on Amazon thread) are coming in handy for work meals.

I would never cut out any of those foods for a diet. I think if most people cut out most bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and high sugar items, they will tend to lose weight.

My problem is not too many fruits and veggies. It’s too much McDonalds.

If they put pickles on your burger, the whole thing counts as a veggie. :angel:

Earlier I mentioned we eat a low carb whole food diet (almost nothing with an ingredient list). This has worked for us both. Two tips if you are looking at a low carb diet; 1) don't eat low carb packaged crap (its still crap). 2) Don't skimp on the fat.

Last year I did this too. LCHF, with a major emphasis on whole foods. I lost 23 lbs, and my fasting blood sugar numbers dropped into pre-diabetic range with my A1c well into the normal range.

But sadly (or pathetically, maybe), when we left FL and went back north we spent a lot of time traveling and entertaining, and I fell off the wagon. Also I hurt my knee and quit walking. I gained most of the weight back, and my numbers took a big hit too. It can be really hard to eat well when you aren't in your own kitchen. I know you can do it, but it's certainly harder.

Once I started eating carbs again, it was like the monkey on my back woke up. It's been incredibly hard to stop. But the main advantage of the LCHF style of eating for me last year was a complete change in my appetite. Once I stopped eating the carbs, I quit having blood sugar spikes and wasn't hungry all the time. It make eating properly so much easier.

We're back in FL now. I'm starting again, and hope I see the same improvements I saw last year, especially the change in hunger. If so, I'm going to work especially hard when we leave again, and see if I can avoid slipping this time.

I’m curious. Has anybody else found that grains that have not been processed or are lightly processed ( I’m thinking rolled oats and spelt) are more like veggies than grains that are highly processed?

I’m curious. Has anybody else found that grains that have not been processed or are lightly processed ( I’m thinking rolled oats and spelt) are more like veggies than grains that are highly processed?

No. At one point in my diabetes education I did a lot of experimenting with whole grains and ancient grains, and everything effected my blood sugar pretty much the same way as Wonder Bread. In my experience, a grain is a grain is a hit of heroin.

It depends :D

First, in my experience, I think this is one of the things that Atkins got right. He stated that you go very low carb to lose weight and then add "good" but higher carb foods back in once you reach your weight loss goal. Stop adding when you start gaining weight. In DWs case, she can eat sweet potatoes, beans, rice and more fruit. If I eat these, I gain weight. So I eat very little of these higher carb items.

Second, DW and I can both tell when we have eaten wheat. The next day our joint pain (arthritis) returns. So I avoid grains due to both reasons and she avoids them only for the pain issues. But if you do not have either problem, whole unprocessed grains may be fine. YMMV

Edit to add: I agree with harley. If they spike your blood sugar stay away. It might be worth a blood test to find out.

Last edited:
Pretty much impossible to NOT drop weight on low carb. Now, I am someone who can easily eat my way through a bag of potato chips, and polish them off with chocolate, so I know it's not easy, but it works.

Overall, you'll just eat less, you won't get that stuffed feeling, but you'll be full on proteins and greens. At some point you might be hungry but it's like... if all I can have to snack is another piece of cheese I'll pass. And then it really starts to drop. Your appetite falls to where it should be, where it's no longer governed by cravings which are strongly governed by sugar.

But the thing about low carb that tells you it's the right thing to do: No highs. No crashes. No 4pm oh i need a piece of candy. You stay stable. Your overall digestion is better if you know what I mean.

But if you can get past that, spending the first few weeks around 20 carbs per day, then allowing 50, then living long term under 100, it gets pretty easy. When you start to add carbs back in a bit, start as much as you can with those that are offset with fiber.

Even if someone doesn't feel the need to go low carb, they should at LEAST remove refined sugar, flour, white and processed foods.

Embrace eggs! They are delicious, nutritious, and can be cooked in variety of styles, plus they are cheap. I eat a lot of eggs.

Yep! I lost 30 lbs buy cutting out sugar and carbs, over about 5 months (15% of prior body weight). I also love eggs, and bacon and whole milk. I am happier not worrying about the fats, but only the sugars. I can't believe all of the brainwashing about eggs and "fatty" dairy over the years.

Ok, Ok, you've shamed me enough to get back on my low carb diet....
Last year about this time my DW and I did it and I lost 20# over 6 months. It slowly crept back up (just 10#) the last few months. Not surprisingly with the holidays and I've been struggling with a slow recovery from a minor surgery in Oct. Now that I can be more active I hope to drop those 10# and another 5-10#. That'll put me at my ideal weight, at least what my Dr. and I have decided on.

Here is an analysis comparing grains (in this case rolled oats) to broccoli. Like many of us, I had always heard "healthy" whole grains. The nutritional summary below compares 100 calories of broccoli to 100 calories of rolled oats. I use this site for the nutrition data. I have found that grains are poor nutritionally when compared to most veggies.

BroccoliRolled Oats
Carbs grams2019
Fiber grams7.82.8
Protein grams8.63.7
Vitamins Daily %
A38%0%
C448%0%
D0%0%
E12%1%
K384%1%
Thiamin14%9%
Riboflavin20%9%
Niacin10%2%
B626%10%
Folate48%2%
B120%0%
Minerals Daily %
Calcium14%1%
Iron12%7%
Magnesium16%10%
Phosphate20%11%
Potasium28%3%

Here's an empirical observation on diet and exercise since the start of 2018.

I seem to be finding a corrlation between how well my exercise routine goes at the gym and my breakfast carbs. Over the past few weeks, I notice that if I have an omlet for breakfast and ONE slice of my whole grain bread, I seem to do very well an hour later at the gym. However, when I have a more carby breakfast (waffles or pancakes for example) I struggle more with each exercise and the stationary bike is noticeably more difficult as though I have sluggish, slightly sore muscles.

I'm going to experiment for a few more weeks to see if this correlation holds.

Chuckanut, I can kind of relate. At least in my experience, protein is a better fuel for strenuous exercises than carbs or fats. I've been told proteins are still insulinogenic but they seem to work for me the best in keeping my endurance up as well as keeping me more alert.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Chuckanut, I can kind of relate. At least in my experience, protein is a better fuel for strenuous exercises than carbs or fats. I've been told proteins are still insulinogenic but they seem to work for me the best in keeping my endurance up as well as keeping me more alert.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I agree to a certain extent. When I’m doing weight workouts, I find that protein is the best fuel. If I’m running a marathon, only carbs can get me through it.

This thread reminds me of a song...
(to the tune of "Zoot Suit Riot")

"Who's that waddlin' down the street?
It's just me'cause I love to eat
Fudge and Twinkies and deviled ham
Who's real flabby? Yes, I am!
Every picture of me's
Gotta be an aerial view
Now my doctor tells me
There's just one thing left to do--
Grapefruit Diet (diet!)
Throw out the pizza and beer
Grapefruit Diet (diet!)
Oh, get those jelly donuts out of here
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Might seem a little severe
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
I'm gettin' tired of my big fat rear
Blow, Fatty!

Well, I used to Live on Chocolate sauce
Made sumo wrestlers look like Kate Moss
Walked down an alley and I got stuck
I got more rolls than a pastry truck
When I'm all done eating
I eat a little more
When I leave a room
First I gotta grease the door
Grapefruit diet (Diet!)
Can't have another éclair
Grapefruit diet (Diet!)
I gotta decrease my derriere

Weird Al Yankovic - Grapefruit Diet Lyrics

This thread had me considering where in my diet I still have an abundance of simple sugars. Although they'll only pry the Japanese sweet bean paste from my cold dead hands, the syrup in my morning coffee is made up of nothing but sugar. 24 grams of it, so nearly a quarter of the limit of some low-carb diets.

It led me to recall the story of the businessman who made millions by telling people to switch out their syrup with butter (but only in his super organic pampered coffee beans and magic oil, of course). For the last few days I've been using half a serving of butter or coconut oil in the place of syrup. I'm quite happy with the taste. Butter wins out over the coconut oil.

Here's a New York Time's piece about $50,000 in bribes during the 1960's to Harvard scientists to promote sugars being healthier than fats:
How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat

T

Here's a New York Time's piece about $50,000 in bribes during the 1960's to Harvard scientists to promote sugars being healthier than fats:
How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat

While I don't doubt the truth in that article, I feel obligated to add that those who told us to eat sugary non-fat, low-fat products, often made with oils made in industrial plants instead of butter made on the farm, should have known better:

Published in 1972.....

Pure, White and Deadly: How sugar is killing us and what we can do to stop it

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-White-Deadly-sugar-killing/dp/024125745X

Instead, they all jumped into the water and enjoyed playing in the pool. And so far not one has said "I'm sorry. We gave you bad advice that may have harmed your health."

On the subject of coffee and sugar, when I started putting real cream or 1/2 &1/2 in my coffee instead of 2% milk, I suddenly found out how good coffee can taste without sugar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom