Low Carb Diet

I went low carb a year ago. I lost 25 lb in 4 months. It leveled when I started working and slipping up a bit, and didn't exercise regularly. I lost a few more lbs in the fall. I went off low carb over the holidays-a conscious choice because I love San Francisco sourdough bread. I'm back on low carb/keto now. More pounds to lose.

Low carb forces you to stay away from all junk food. Eggs are the most versatile food and they make low carb much easier. I found a keto bread recipe that really works. It takes an hour to make 10 rolls that I shape any way I want, from round to flat to hot dog bun shape. I eat lots of spinach prepared many ways. Nuts are not all that high carb (macadamia nuts and pecans especially).

There is a website: dietdoctor.com, and some books mentioned above, that deal with issues with plant based low carb diet. And they explain why and how low carb works. The key is to stay away from grains, enjoy healthy fats, some legumes, and low carb nuts.

On the keto diet, I find my mood is better, and I try not to eat unless hungry. I'm much less hungry, since my body doesn't need external carbs for immediate energy.

A side benefit: better dental health too.

I can't remember the exact details but I can remember as a mere teenager lifting a certain amount of weight on a weight machine. A teacher or coach then gave the participants a spoonful of sugar, gave them a couple minutes rest, then were instructed to repeat the same routine. Very few could repeat exactly the same #of reps and weight.

I have no claim to expertise on this topic, and I think that overall it is likely to be more complicated at times than we all understand. However, I have followed a strict low carb diet since spring of 1997. (20+ years) By strict I mean never over 50 grams/day, and often considerably less

I cook almost all my food myself, and I go to the doctor usually once a year. Although I have never been fat, am clearly carb sensitive and this diet seems to work well for me in the sense that I tend to have very good health, good endurance, and high overall comfort. I have no idea if I will live longer or less long, but it is definitely a comfortable way for me to live.

I would say if a person is not completely satisfied with the way he or she looks or feels, this is a good place to look for help. However if things are going as one likes, why change?

Ha

Another side benefit of limiting carb was that my gerds (sp?) went away.

Another odd side benefit that I've never seen mentioned anywhere:
After going to a low carb diet a few years ago, I completely stopped snoring (according to DW). Before that I had been a rather prodigious snorer, and she was very impressed.

Just curious on what people eat on these low carb diets? Do you use protein shakes as a meal?

You can basically eat anything you want, just cut back or eliminate the carb heavy foods:
pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, candy, sugars, etc.
So basically you're eating meat, veggies, fats, oils, cheese, eggs, etc.
There are many recipes for low to no carb breads, pizzas, candy, etc.
When eating out at a restaurant hit the salad and meat.

Simply put:
We all eat three major macronutrients in our diets: protein, fat, and carbohydrates

Most people, no matter what their diet is like, seem to gravitate to around 15-20% protein. So that's pretty much a fixed percentage.

The other 80-85% has to be fats and carbohydrates. If you keep the carbs low, you have to ingest a lot more fat. To the typical American, that sounds like a bad thing, but it's really not. Fat is flavor.

Folivier, few protein shakes work as most are high on milk which is high on sugar. But some might fit in, especially those designed as high protein low sugar. Generally, we eat real food. Just nothing processed or dry in a box.

Breakfast: Instead of cereal/bagel/toast, it's eggs/bacon/sausage something like that.

Lunch: Instead of a sandwich, a big green salad with chicken or other meat. no croutons, but drown it in blue cheese dressing (not the low fat kind!). Instead of a burger and fries, cook two burgers. No buns. Extra cheese.

Dinner:Instead of a steak and potato, A steak and broccoli, or pretty much any other meat/protein plus green.

Plenty of recipes nowadays to sneak in fake carbs (low fat tortillas for a sandwich wrap, or using almond flour to make pizza dough, etc.) but generally best to avoid those things in the first few weeks until the cravings are gone.

I can't remember the exact details but I can remember as a mere teenager lifting a certain amount of weight on a weight machine. A teacher or coach then gave the participants a spoonful of sugar, gave them a couple minutes rest, then were instructed to repeat the same routine. Very few could repeat exactly the same #of reps and weight.

Ha! Ha! They could have given the participants anything to eat and it would have the same result. Or nothing to eat and it would have the same result.

In other words, any negative controls? Any positive controls?

I find it somewhat easy to eat a low carb diet at home, but much more challenging out. This is partly because we don’t eat bread at home, but many restaurants provide delicious bread with meals that is hard to resist. Also it is hard to go to a happy hour and not eat carbs. The biggest challenge of low carb plans for us is giving up wine.

Ha! Ha! They could have given the participants anything to eat and it would have the same result. Or nothing to eat and it would have the same result.

In other words, any negative controls? Any positive controls?

Like I mentioned i can't remember all the details, I was in HS, more than likely more interested in the girls! I seem to remember that the point of the exercise was to replenish the calories after the workout instead of before or during. I ran track, cross country, and played basketball as high school sports.

Another odd side benefit that I've never seen mentioned anywhere:
After going to a low carb diet a few years ago, I completely stopped snoring (according to DW). Before that I had been a rather prodigious snorer, and she was very impressed.
I quit snoring, GERD, cluster headaches, hypertension and tachycardia by changing diet and losing weight.

I wasn't low carb, just eating a better balanced diet. I think the weight loss was responsible for the majority of my changes. Everything makes sense to me except the clusters, but after years of regular occurrences I haven't had one in a couple years.

be careful with the high protein diets . If you have any kidney problems at all you could make it worse . My doc says just eat less

breakfast egg beaters , toast ,skim milk orange
lunch small piece of chicken , turkey or fish salad and some green beans or tomatoes half a baked potato white grapes or apple

Dinner a Big salad , some lentils small portion of turkey or chicken or fish
get your fat in every day teaspoon of margarine .

do not forget to drink your water 8 /12oz cups

I have a kidney problem and I must keep protein under 70 Gm.s

Oh a tip from a pro body builder drink smooth moves tea , once a week

It works

be careful with the high protein diets . If you have any kidney problems at all you could make it worse . My doc says just eat less

People often confuse low-carb with high protein. Most low-carb people often refer to it as Low Carb High Fat. Protein, assuming one is already consuming sufficient amounts stays about the same.

Even the term high fat is somewhat misleading, IMHO. I consume whatever fats are naturally in the food I eat. I don't consume processed low and non fat foods made in a factory. I guess in comparison natural foods are higher fat. So be it. Nor do I intentionally create a Fat-Bomb food like some people do. Just eat real food, limit carbs, and seriously limit sugar, and let the natural fat content be what it is.

Perhaps it should be called Low Carb Normal Fat.

I find it somewhat easy to eat a low carb diet at home, but much more challenging out. This is partly because we don’t eat bread at home, but many restaurants provide delicious bread with meals that is hard to resist. Also it is hard to go to a happy hour and not eat carbs. The biggest challenge of low carb plans for us is giving up wine.

Dry wines are rather low carb. Beer is much higher in carbs. I drink wine sometimes and am still in ketosis.

Dry wines are rather low carb. Beer is much higher in carbs. I drink wine sometimes and am still in ketosis.
I lost 18% body fat on lowish carb and never stopped drinking wine. Its not like I guzzle massive amounts but I have a glass of wine every evening, sometimes two.

Vodka and no-carb tonic water

Regular tonic water has carbs. Diet tonic water doesn't but typically has unpronounceable sugar substitutes. I do a LCHF diet and my alcohol drink of choice is Vodka Soda's. Day to day I'm more typically drinking water and coffee, with an occasional glass of wine. I've been told alcohol carbs act differently from other carbs, and I'll occasionally imbibe in a glass or two of wine. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

One just has to remember that alcohol is not a fat, protein or carbohydrate, but does contribute calories to the metabolic equation/process. And alcohol is processed first, before fats, proteins, and carbs.

Wine is only 12-14% alcohol.

Another aspect of this is researching your fat choices. Coconut oil is more saturated, but has a high concentration of medium chain triglycerides, which are utilized for energy and not storage. My “go to” fat choice is olive oil, with some butter, coconut oil, and other fat choices that the food choices dictate. I’ve been making my own mayonnaise-mostly olive oil, some canola oil blend, unfiltered apple cider and fresh lemon juice, salt and mustard powder, using home-pasteurized eggs with my sous vide machine for about a year. It’s an acquired taste, quite tangy, but really good in egg salad and sandwiches, and as a salad dressing component. Choosing between different oils is more interesting than choosing between carbs (starch vs sugars? Boring).

I've been told alcohol carbs act differently from other carbs, and I'll occasionally imbibe in a glass or two of wine. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Soda water is so spartan. Can't do it. Yes, my tonic water is delicious but it has suspect stuff in it for sweetener.

I'm now glad that I never developed any true appreciation for the various types of wine. Sweet / not is the extent of my palate for wine. This turned out to be a benefit later in life since wine past one glass causes me to have huge cravings for sugary things which I don't experience otherwise.

I've been LCHF for a good 5 years now. At my last checkup my doctor joshed me that I was going to live to be 100. I just want the last years to be as independent and vital as possible.

I like Fever Tree Tonic water. More carbs because of the sugar, but so tasty...

Back
Top Bottom