maternity & HSA qualified plans

stargazer08

Recycles dryer sheets
In helping my young daughter apply for a private HSA qualified medical plan, I was surprised that none listed on ehealthinsurance.com offered maternity coverage. Only BCBS offered the option to obtain this coverage for an additional fee. When I called United Health Care to inquire about maternity coverage, they told me that HSA qualified plans can't cover maternity expenses (they were unsure how BCBS could offer the optional maternity coverage). I was told that the cost of routine vaginal births would require the use of HSA money and those same costs would not apply to the policy deductible. If there were complications in the pregnancy or if a c-section was required, then those conditions would be covered and any money paid by the insured would apply to the policy deductible. I find this maternity business strange. Does anyone else have any additional information about this or know of where I might find more details about HSAs and maternity benefits? I'm not having much luck with google.

In helping my young daughter apply for a private HSA qualified medical plan, I was surprised that none listed on ehealthinsurance.com offered maternity coverage. Only BCBS offered the option to obtain this coverage for an additional fee. When I called United Health Care to inquire about maternity coverage, they told me that HSA qualified plans can't cover maternity expenses (they were unsure how BCBS could offer the optional maternity coverage). I was told that the cost of routine vaginal births would require the use of HSA money and those same costs would not apply to the policy deductible.

I haven't heard any law that says HSA-compatible HDHPs can not cover maternity, which is how UHC is making it sound. Sounds like BCBS doesn't cover it by default but it can be added.

But here's the kicker.

With individual health policies, maternity benefits often don't start for 12 months after the policy is in force. This is to discourage adverse selection where otherwise healthy individuals would only purchase a health policy when they are pregnant. So if your daughter is expecting now or will be within the next few months, nothing would likely be covered for the first year the policy is in force.

She's not PG and states she never wants kids but we all know how that goes out the window when and if Mr. Right comes along. :)

She's not PG and states she never wants kids but we all know how that goes out the window when and if Mr. Right comes along. :)
What if Mr. Right doesn't want kids either? (I say this from the perspective of a married man who doesn't have kids, nor have we wanted any of our own.)

But yeah, I guess we're not most people.

Anyway, check the BCBS optional maternity coverage -- I'm betting the maternity benefits don't kick in for a year.

My daughter used to be very insistent about not wanting kids ever, even if she met Mr. Right. Never, never, never. Then, her biological clock started ticking and now, and 29, she is not feeling that way. Still hasn't met Mr. Right, though, but when that happens (and if he wants kids) you can call me "Granny". :2funny:

My daughter used to be very insistent about not wanting kids ever, even if she met Mr. Right. Never, never, never. Then, her biological clock started ticking and now, and 29, she is not feeling that way. Still hasn't met Mr. Right, though, but when that happens (and if he wants kids) you can call me "Granny". :2funny:
My wife is 39 and occasionally her clock ticks just a little. But we have enough friends here locally who have kids she can spend a little time with here and there when that impluse hits her. Then she gets it out of her system and the clock stops.

My wife and I are on HSA plans and we have the maternity option. We are with Anthem and are in the state of Indiana. We did not go through ehealthinsurance.com because of the above mentioned.

On ehealthinsurance.com, only BCBS offered optional maternity coverage. United Healthcare and Humana didn't. I called UHC direct and got the line about not being able to offer maternity on HSA qualified policies. I have not called Humana yet. I'm very reluctant to get her a policy without maternity due to her age (21). I guess she could always switch to her employer plan if she decides to have kids. That does require a bit of planning on her part. She is one smart cookie but as a parent, I still worry about "accidents" for which she has been educated to the hilt about the required preventative measures. :)

Back
Top Bottom