Metformin & Berberine

Maybe just a coincidence, but a thread about Metformin came up a few days ago on a tinnitustalk forum related to its effect on treating Long COVID and tinnitus.

Couldn't find that particular thread. Curious what was decided (good, bad, useless.) Tinnitus is a problem to me.

Couldn't find that particular thread. Curious what was decided (good, bad, useless.) Tinnitus is a problem to me.
It should have come up in a google search of Metformin and tinnitustalk.

Here is a link to the specific new thread. There's nothing conclusive. I've seen reports in an older thread that it didn't help and may have temporarily worsened. One guy mentioned in the new thread that he is trying it. And maybe it's only potentially effective for tinnitus caused by COVID. Not sure.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/case-report-metformin-treated-long-covid-tinnitus.53635/

Last edited:
It should have come up in a google search of Metformin and tinnitustalk.

Here is a link to the specific new thread. There's nothing conclusive. I've seen reports in an older thread that it didn't help and may have temporarily worsened. One guy mentioned in the new thread that he is trying it. And maybe it's only potentially effective for tinnitus caused by COVID. Not sure.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/case-report-metformin-treated-long-covid-tinnitus.53635/

Thanks so much!

I’ve been Type2 for years, mostly mild, A1C between 6.2 and 7.4 most recently. I’ve been in 2000mg Metformin and had never heard of the ER. I will ask for it! Thanks for that! I tried Berberine fir 4 months (it is more expensive than Metformin, which is free on my Medicare ) I had no improvement in glucose of A1C, in fact, both went up. I also have Dawn Effect TypeII, so the last few months I was seeing ~165 glucose each morning after 12 hours+ fasting, with the last blood test showing the 7.4 AIC. Six months ado it was 6.5.

I am not overweight (male, 5’1” 180lbs, large frame) and haven’t been for years. We decided to try 5mg Farxiga, generic. From Canada Pharmacy is only $38/mo, vs $74/m (avg) on Medicare. I’ve only been on it a week, and the effect was immediate. Morning glucose dropped to 125, with daytime readings after 2 hours of eating at around 100, which I haven’t seen for a long time. Drink lots of water. No side effects to speak of so far. I always peed a lot anyway!

Last edited:
I started 500mg Metformin last week as I was diagnosed "pre-diabetic" and barely in the range to justify Metformin. I take it in the morning, sometimes with an empty stomach and so far have not suffered any stomach issues. I hope I'm lucky and things don't deteriorate.

I started 500mg Metformin last week as I was diagnosed "pre-diabetic" and barely in the range to justify Metformin. I take it in the morning, sometimes with an empty stomach and so far have not suffered any stomach issues. I hope I'm lucky and things don't deteriorate.

You can ask for the ER version... I had problems with regular Metformin but none with the ER version..

I had a friend that was thin and exercised daily. When she was in the pre diabetic range her doctor sent her to a nutritionist and she followed their instructions and reversed it.

I take metformin only, and has had a meaningful impact in reversing/eliminating diabetes (but was initially mild to begin with). My only complaint is that the amount I can tolerate is limited by adverse gastric reactions.

I have had this same impact. Anything you have done to alleviate?

Flieger

I had a friend that was thin and exercised daily. When she was in the pre diabetic range her doctor sent her to a nutritionist and she followed their instructions and reversed it.

I had a friend who was diabetic along with a plethora of other conditions. She was referred to a nutritionist as well who gave her a low carbohydrate diet of three meals a day with eggs, avocado, fish, meat, salad with a certain amount of olive oil, non starchy vegetables and limited berries.

For her the nutritionist was covered by insurance due to her health conditions. At the time she was concerned that I wasn't eating enough and discussed my diet her with the nutritionist who advised more protein.

Pre diabetic for several years also. A1C has been 5.9-6.4, even with metformin.
I take Metformin ER (extend release) due to gastric issues also. And I split the dose AM and PM, no further diarrhea problems.
Recently lost 17 pounds and A1C went from 6.4 to 6.2. Not as much improvement as I would have liked, but doc was happy.
I have not added the Berberine yet, still thinking about it.

Update on my A1C following a low carb diet: Just got results back and I'm down from my typical 6.0 to 6.2 to 5.4 (normal.) No Metformin as my doc didn't want me on it. Low carb really seems to w*rk for me. This diet also seems to curb my appetite. I can watch others eat the foods I used to crave and maybe be just a bit envious, but not ravenous. Kinda amazing though YMMV.

Update on my A1C following a low carb diet: Just got results back and I'm down from my typical 6.0 to 6.2 to 5.4 (normal.) No Metformin as my doc didn't want me on it. Low carb really seems to w*rk for me. This diet also seems to curb my appetite. I can watch others eat the foods I used to crave and maybe be just a bit envious, but not ravenous. Kinda amazing though YMMV.

I'm not diabetic, but I did notice that low carb curbed my appetite and cravings as well.

Congratulations on your new A1C number. Great job!!

I did Protein Power low carb diet when it was a fad in the 90s. I lost 15 lbs while enjoying a lot of delicious fatty meats and milk products. One thing I remember was it was very expensive to buy protein. It must be even worse now.

What caused me to stop was my lower back pain which my doctor said was kidney distress. He did not tell me to stop but I stopped and my kidney pain went away. I hydrated, even over hydrated and my kidneys were telling me to stop so I did.

Colleague was doing it last year and he complained about back pain. I told him to check with his doctor and he did and the same thing happened. She told him it was probably kidneys in distress and he stopped and his pain went away. He also drank a lot of water but that didn't seem to help him.

This diet does wonders for losing weight but I decided for me it wasn't worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom