Moving From One Nursing Home To Another

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is moving from one nursing home (NH) to another pretty routine or is that a big ordeal?

Let's say, a person went to the hospital, then got transferred to for short term rehab, then to a nursing home only to find out that nursing isn't a great as cracked up to be. How difficult would a do over be to go to another that was considered?

To make things easier, let's say this is a NH to another NH in same state, same county.

Under normal circumstances (non Covid) I would think it to be quite straightforward. You might have to deal with a waiting list. You might have difficulty if you were dependent on Medicaid.

I’ve done this with a family member though it was some time ago. The real difficulty is finding a desirable place and whether they have vacancies or a waiting list.

Generally the new location will help facilitate transfer.

Last edited:
I’ve done this with a family member though it was some time ago. The real difficulty is finding a desirable place and whether they have vacancies or a waiting list.

Generally the new location will help facilitate transfer.

How about paying for transferring the person? Would the person/family be on the hook (since not medically necessary but just unhappy with NH#1) for cost to move the person from one facility to another? Or would the insurance or medicaid cover the cost?

A new nursing home most likely will expect someone to be financially secure, able to pay full rate for a guaranteed period of time, and not suffer from any behavioral issues. The receiving facility might help with transfer logistics but the cost to move will be all on the patient.

For me, it was a private pay situation and I simply drove them to the new place (I had a handicap accessible van). Sounds like the situation you are describing requires a medical transport? I’m not familiar with Medicare/Medicaid /Other Insurance rules in this regard. A good resource would be the intake coordinator at the new facility - they could probably quickly answer your question or refer you to who could. The admin staff at NH facilities generally know all the ins and outs about what is covered and what is not.

And if transport is not covered or requires conditions that do not apply to the situation, you may decide to pay for it out of pocket (depending on complexity of the residents condition, its commonly around $500 last I knew). YMMV on transport costs but they are easy to research if this is the route you go.

When I said the new facility would generally facilitate the transfer I meant the coordination and paperwork, not the physical transfer. Sorry if that was misleading.

Last edited:
For me, it was a private pay situation and I simply drove them to the new place (I had a handicap accessible van). Sounds like the situation you are describing requires a medical transport? I’m not familiar with Medicare/Medicaid /Other Insurance rules in this regard. A good resource would be the intake coordinator at the new facility - they could probably quickly answer your question or refer you to who could. The admin staff at NH facilities generally know all the ins and outs about what is covered and what is not.

And if transport is not covered or requires conditions that do not apply to the situation, you may decide to pay for it out of pocket (depending on complexity of the residents condition, its commonly around $500 last I knew). YMMV on transport costs but they are easy to research if this is the route you go.

When I said the new facility would generally facilitate the transfer I meant the coordination and paperwork, not the physical transfer. Sorry if that was misleading.

Not misleading at all. $500 is nothing. For some reason I was thinking of like several thousand dollars. Perhaps that's more in a different state situation.

If an ambulance is required to transport the nursing home patient a couple of hundred miles, of course it’s going to be a bit more expensive.

I live in NH. When my mother was alive and we transferred her after a rehab stay from one nursing home to another, we worked with the new place and they arranged all the detail. We were responsible for the transport.

Not misleading at all. $500 is nothing. For some reason I was thinking of like several thousand dollars. Perhaps that's more in a different state situation.

I could be too low on the estimate but if the resident can go via “medical transport” vs. an ambulance, it’s generally much less expensive. You mentioned they were there for short term rehab so I assumed they were reasonably functional and stable.

Last edited:
I live in NH. When my mother was alive and we transferred her after a rehab stay from one nursing home to another, we worked with the new place and they arranged all the detail. We were responsible for the transport.

How much did it cost about for the transport? Did you just look in the yellow pages for ambulance service? Or what?

MIL had to be moved 3 times... After she ended up in a hospital in Columbia SC, on her way to wedding, we transported her via 'medical transport' to Philly to a rehab/nursing facility... then from there we moved her to memory unit in Philly... And the last trip we moved her from the Philly memory unit to one in Detroit. (Family support, cost, and declining quality of care at the first memory unit.)

Medical transport is 1/2 the cost of ambulance.

None of this is/will be covered by insurance, medicaid, medicare, etc.

MIL had to be moved 3 times... After she ended up in a hospital in Columbia SC, on her way to wedding, we transported her via 'medical transport' to Philly to a rehab/nursing facility... then from there we moved her to memory unit in Philly... And the last trip we moved her from the Philly memory unit to one in Detroit. (Family support, cost, and declining quality of care at the first memory unit.)

Medical transport is 1/2 the cost of ambulance.

None of this is/will be covered by insurance, medicaid, medicare, etc.

The distance is only about 20 miles in this case.

How much did it cost about for the transport? Did you just look in the yellow pages for ambulance service? Or what?
Moved MIL from one NH to another NH this June in Iowa. Cost was $104 (distance was 30 miles) for the vendor that normally takes residents to Dr appt, etc. I would think most NHs should have a normal transportation vendor.

Thanks, this is very encouraging.

We just paid $126 for a move between hospitals by a medical transport service. It was about 18 miles.

FYI when we moved MIL this June, the receiving NH required 2 negative COVID tests and 14 day quarantined prior to move and then a 14 day quarantine post-move at new NH.

OP you got some great personal experience which should help. One thing is LTC insurance if she has that. I had to do the move once for my mother. That paper work etc. needed to be done by the new NH will need to do the paper work prior before the move so the monthly LTC insurance can continue. If she has LTCI I would check with them all the details for an smooth transaction.

If an ambulance is required to transport the nursing home patient a couple of hundred miles, of course it’s going to be a bit more expensive.

I must be thinking medical transport. A relative had to move her mother half way across the state - 250 miles maybe. I thought she said ambulance.

I think we asked for the new nursing home to arrange for transportation via ambulance, I honestly don’t remember the cost. It’s wasn’t a concern. Getting her to a better facility closer to us was of the utmost importance.

Wanted to give a quick update. I was able to get my family member moved over to another NH which is about 20 miles away. An ambulance wasn't required since she was able (with assistance) to travel via the new NH's van (no cost involved).

I'm just happy this part wasn't as troublesome as I thought.

The first nursing home wanted to keep her at their place but I pretty much said "No dice. That's my final answer."

Last edited:
We did this. Paid a private transport service to puck him and things up at one and deliver to other once they had room. Hes on his feet so not a huge deal fir him. Both private pay homes

For anyone who needs to look into it in the future: ambulances have oxygen, defibrillators, and trained EMTs, so they will cost more. Patients with COPD, on oxygen for other reasons, or with a history of multiple or recent cardiac issues or strokes should probably go by ambulance. Often patients who are stable but have mobility issues can be transported by ambulette, which is basically just a wheelchair-accessible van, and I believe the drivers receive CPR training. Obviously the ambulette is cheaper. Patients who can stand on their own may not even need an ambulette.

Longer distance trips will obviously cost more, IIRC but it's a bit like a plumber, a lot of the cost may be just calling them out and having their expertise there for any length of time. (I was an EMT, but I really was not involved in billing.)

Back
Top Bottom