My first experience with Atrial Fibrillation

Eliquis is a much kinder, gentler alternative to coumadin. No dietary restrictions or ongoing INR testing.

Good to know but that wasn't the point.
I really cant stress enough how seriouly afib should be taken. It not only ruined my brother's life but impacted the entire family.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are certain you have afib but you should also consider my situation. I was diagnosed with afib and got a second opinion. After consultation and testing my cardio explained that I did NOT have afib but a less serious condition know as PVC. Premature Ventricular Contractions. Check it out with your doctor.

I am 61 and take blood pressure meds. The last few years everything has been looking fine. But 14 years ago I had a bout of AFIB and spend overnight in the hospital. Had the cardio conversion a few times and was released. Put on Warfarin for about a year. Other than a few almost times the first year or so I have not had any issues since then. Warfarin drove me nuts. I did not have a problem with bleeding. I had a problem with cuts not healing. Working out in the yard a minor cut would require me to wear a band aid for a month. Most aggravating.

I am 61 and take blood pressure meds. The last few years everything has been looking fine. But 14 years ago I had a bout of AFIB and spend overnight in the hospital. Had the cardio conversion a few timesand was released. Put on Warfarin for about a year. Other than a few almost times the first year or so I have not had any issues since then. Warfarin drove me nuts. I did not have a problem with bleeding. I had a problem with cuts not healing. Working out in the yard a minor cut would require me to wear a band aid for a month. Most aggravating.

Had cardioversion a few times? Like once every couple of weeks until it "took"?

Are you certain you're not going into AFIB, ever?

Because if you are no longer taking blood thinners and you go into AFIB you are risking a stroke.

The thought of my wife possibly having to take care of me after an AFib stroke would scare me into blood thinners.

+1

That's why I take Xarelto. Both my GP and electrocardiologist say I'm free to exercise and lead a "normal" lifestyle but warn that my chronic AFIB makes me 5 - 6 times more prone to strokes. I don't like being on the anti-coagulant, and I've had a minor complication, but there isn't much else I can do.

I am beginning to bring up the subject of a Watchman with the electrocardiologist, but so far he says I have less risk with the side effects from the Xarelto.

Last edited:
Had a massive stroke 3 weeks after his most recent marathon and is now a total invalid now after one Afib incident.

Just so everyone is clear....... Your brother had one stroke but he may have had many AFIB incidents. Or he may have had chronic AFIB (as I do) where is heart was out of rhythm 100% of the time.

I completely agree with you, strokes are horrible things.

Depending on how this goes I might well consider a personal EKG device. Or I could take the high road and rent the third floor of our local hospital for a week while they address my Afib, spinal stenosis, foraminal cyst, knees that on X-ray look like a cubist artwork (I wear a retail cost $2k brace on one knee when I cycle and I get biannual hyaluronic injections in both knees), carpal tunnel, cataracts, and competing arthritis/rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Just wake me when its over :)

dave

Yikes!

I had my treadmill stress test this week. Everything looked normal. I have an echo test next week, and the following week I meet with the cardiologist again to review lab work and tests. So far no further AFIB experience. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom