Join Early Retirement Today

Nail fungus cure
Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nail fungus cure

I thought I read a thread on the unpleasant topic of toe nail fungus but canít find it so in the spirit of TMI I will post my own. I have been plagued with what is euphemistically called keratin debris in my big toe for years. The dermatologist has been no help- I tested negative for some type of fungus for which they have an effective medicine. I have the more pedestrian version that is the subject of multiple TV adds for various cures. I have tried them all (NonyX for 6 months) all to no avail. Never ready to give up I keep my eyes peeled and try anything promising. Now I have stumbled on something that may actually work.

I ran into some long winded narrative by a biochemist who claimed to have saved his father from fungus on the heart and killed off his nail fungus as a side effect. His theory is that nail fungus is a result of a wider systemic fungus infestation that effects the nails and can escalate to more serious problems. In pages of technical blather he details he research finding that the fungus can be combatted by a complex stew of probiotics. Naturally his concoction is for sale. Itís pricey but I figured why not give it a shot - what could go wrong. Before I popped for his pricey brand I checked Dr Google and found a better deal with essentially the same mix - Dr Tobiasí probiotics. I ordered a months supply and gave it a shot. Good news and bad news.

After 3 weeks I see a dramatic improvement on the nail beds of both big toes. A progressively larger crescent of clear nail is marching up the toes. This stuff may actually work after decades. The bad news is that I started experiencing gastrointestinal distress after a week or so. I initially attributed it to my morning coffee but it continued to get worse after stopping coffee. Now I suspect that I am negatively reacting to the probiotics so I stopped them. At least till I get my gut under control. The long winded piece I read indicated that a month of probiotics might do the trick so I am hoping my clear nails will continue to grow.

Anyone else out there had any luck with probiotics?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-87338.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...gus-47517.html

Ive used natural probiotics inside* my epidermis for repair, maybe as you suspect it also works outside the epidermis.

Good luck!

PS:NBD/ Glad to assist.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-87338.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...gus-47517.html

Ive used probiotics inside* my epidermis for repair, maybe as you suspect it also works outside the epidermis.

Good luck!
Darn. I searched on those terms and didn't find the threads. The second one was in "other" and I searched health but I should have gotten the laser treatment thread.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started to have fungus on 3 toes in my 20s back in my home country. I did not think too much of them until I came to US and saw my primary doctor the first time in my 40s. He prescribed a pill (so long ago and I do not remember the name) and I took them 3 months straight. All cleared after that. Fast forward another 20 years, fungus never came back.

So, have you talked to your doctor and see if s/he can prescribe something similar for you to take?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Anyone else out there had any luck with probiotics?
No. Didn't work.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

BTW, we discussed this topic on a recent thread (not the two mentioned above). Can't find it.

EDIT:

Found it. ALL about toenail fungus and treatments. 4 pages worth.

From just last month: While we are discussing toenails...

That thread has to be good, because it even mentions the old "pissing on the nails while showering" cure.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two standard therapies are oral terbinafine (58% cure rate) or topical efinaconazole (cure rate 15-18%). The former is less expensive but has a slight risk of liver toxicity.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #8

Between antibiotics and antifungals, it's difficult to keep the gut in balance. Be careful you don't overdo it. Read up on SIBO to learn one possible consequence.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My husband has had nail fungus on his feet for years. The meds he tried are too toxic. He is now 81, drugs are too risky.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
BTW, we discussed this topic on a recent thread (not the two mentioned above). Can't find it.

EDIT:

That thread has to be good, because it even mentions the old "pissing on the nails while showering" cure.
That is the thread I was looking for and wanted to add to. I couldn't find it when I searched but I might have quickly narrowed my search to the health forum and I see that it was posted in other topics
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

EDIT:

I am proud to claim that I started that thread...and was going to add to it or start another because of a development. I have a bunch of sun related skin boo-boos and decided I should see a dermatologist. The PA did a "full body" scan with a light and 99% of my "areas" were not dangerous. But when she got to my nasty toes she asked if I wanted to do something about it. I said "maybe" , but I wouldn't take any systemic drug for it.
She wrote an Rx for "Jublia"...which my Part D plan would not fill. I figured it might be a tad pricey, so I did some checking. At Walmart, with a GoodRx coupon, I could get 4cc for a mere $585...

Course of treatment likely to be 10 months, I have 5 affected toes. How long do you think my 4cc is likely to last?

So the point of my new thread was to have been more about the ridiculousness of a product that would likely cost as much as $5K to treat toenail fungus.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't have toenail fungus, but judging from the scary photos on the Web I would not mind paying $5K to get rid of it, instead of suffering a lifetime with it.

If this terrible affliction is that hard to cure, then something that works should be worth a lot. If it does not work, I would be pissed.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't have toenail fungus, but judging from the scary photos on the Web I would not mind paying $5K to get rid of it, instead of suffering a lifetime with it.

If this terrible affliction is that hard to cure, then something that works should be worth a lot. If it does not work, I would be pissed.
The problem is that even with Jubilia the success rate is less than 50% Some studies show as low as 18%. This medicine costs $500 for a 4 ml bottle which last approximately a week. The treatment course is 48 weeks. Total cost would be >$20,000. Toenail fungus, although gross and unpleasant to live with, is not life threatening. To shell out >$20,000 for a possible cure that has low odds of really curing you is not something most people are willing to spend.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
The problem is that even with Jubilia the success rate is less than 50% Some studies show as low as 18%. This medicine costs $500 for a 4 ml bottle which last approximately a week. The treatment course is 48 weeks. Total cost would be >$20,000. Toenail fungus, although gross and unpleasant to live with, is not life threatening. To shell out >$20,000 for a possible cure that has low odds of really curing you is not something most people are willing to spend.
I have asked podiatrists, MDs, and now, a dermatologist PA if my toenail fungus presented any threat other than an esthetic one, and the answer has always been "no".
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Oh good grief. Another one of life's myriad miseries.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #16

The web site for Dr. Tobias lists two probiotic products.
1) DEEP IMMUNE PROBIOTICS
2) PROBIOTICS 30 BILLION

Could you clarify which one you used that had the dramatic effect on the toe fungus?

Thanks
-gauss

gauss is offline   Reply With Quote