Laser treatment for toenail fungus - does it work ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mom has this condition, and is afraid of any kind of nail surgery. It is now FDA approved, but I don't see a lot of hard evidence on effectiveness.

How effective is this ? Cost is not an issue if it is effective.

Mom has this condition, and is afraid of any kind of nail surgery. It is now FDA approved, but I don't see a lot of hard evidence on effectiveness.

How effective is this ? Cost is not an issue if it is effective.
i would say no, https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/ask-well-laser-treatments-for-nail-fungus/?_r=0
Laser treatments for nail fungus have become fairly common since the procedure was approved by the Food and Drug Administration four years ago. Several kinds of laser therapies are now available, but there is limited evidence that the treatments work.

I have seen antifungal oral medicine working quite well. You would take it continuously for 3 months. The cost might be much cheaper than laser treatment, since the prescription is paid by the insurance, whereas the laser treatment may not be covered by insurance, looks like.

Don't know about the laser. But I know people, myself included, who have used the liquid that you paint onto the toenail every day, for a few months, with success. Ciclopirox, I believe, is the name of the liquid medicine.

I've been hesitant to post this, but what the heck. Friend I go sailing with said an old school podiatrist told him to apply Vicks Vaporub twice daily to the toe. He showed my his toe: clearly half the the nail was clear and fresh, the part that had just grown. Wonder if all all toe nail fungus is same species and this would apply. I think the acronym "YMMV" applies here! :LOL:

I think these various treatments are dependent on how bad the fungus infection is. If the nail has thickened significantly sometimes the only thing to do is have the nail removed, and then monitor carefully if a new nail is able to regrow. As to the laser treatments, I've heard several treatments may be needed and even with that, may not be effective.

Tea tree oil applied daily (probably multiple times depending on severity). It's inexpensive and no doctor visits required!

I've been hesitant to post this, but what the heck. Friend I go sailing with said an old school podiatrist told him to apply Vicks Vaporub twice daily to the toe. He showed my his toe: clearly half the the nail was clear and fresh, the part that had just grown. Wonder if all all toe nail fungus is same species and this would apply. I think the acronym "YMMV" applies here! :LOL:

One of my sisters is a nurse and she said the same... but it has to be Vicks, not a generic for some reason...

I do not know if she said it would get rid of the fungus or prevent it...

Anecdote. I had a mild case of toenail fungus, I guess. Toenail wasn't very thick yet. I used Vick's VapoRub for a few months and it may have stopped it from getting worse, but it didn't cure it. I also used some other home remedy, maybe it was white vinegar, can't remember. But only the Ciclopirox liquid actually killed the fungus off and gave me a healthy toenail again.

I had a nail fungus since 5th grade. I always wore nail polish to cover it up. About 5 years ago, I read that raw apple cider vinegar would kill it. I wish i'd taken a photo. It took several months of morning and evening application on top and under the nail with a q-tip. But it grew out healthy and has stayed healthy.

I tried the Vicks for a loooong time. It didn't work for me.

MIL had the laser treatment done...didnt do a single thing. Waste of $800 I believe. I think she had 2 or 3 treatments done in total.

My husband and I have each spent $1000 for laser treatment. After 2 years of treatments, I can't see a difference. The podiatrist has declared us cured. I still have the two thick nails that caused me to seek treatment. She says that because they were already so bad, the laser treatment wouldn't reverse that. I would not recommend it.

She has an appointment at the podiatrist tomorrow. This practice does not have laser treatment. She is resigned to having the nails removed. Who knows what will happen when the nails grow back, unless she has the nail beds removed too.

She has an appointment at the podiatrist tomorrow. This practice does not have laser treatment. She is resigned to having the nails removed. Who knows what will happen when the nails grow back, unless she has the nail beds removed too.
DW had both big toenails partially removed due to ingrown toenails. One of the best things she ever did. They hit it with a laser in her case to discourage re-growth.

Now, no crap, the numbing of a big toe didn't appear pleasant! DW was not having a great time. The good thing is after it's numb, well I mostly just held her hand.

The second toe, a year later, it was a different room, where I had complete visabilty of the procedure. They wanted me to leave fearing I'd watch and pass out. DW gave me that look and I told them I wasn't leaving! I didn't watch.

They gave her a few days of meds and after that it was much better.

I would expect the podiatrist to apply any needed treatment to the nail bad. FYI DW is a retired nail tech and what your wife's doing is how she was taught to treat fungi. Good luck.

Last edited:

I believe it will need monitoring to make sure the fungus does not return. When I had a badly deformed toenail removed, I opted for the permanent removal by killing the nail bed. The procedure was not that bad, but that evening we invited some friends over for wine and cheese. After they left, I thought they spilled wine on our hardwood floors as there were drips all over the place. Then I realized it was my toe leaking through the bandages.

There will be the need to soak it several times a day and apply antiseptic spray/cream for several weeks. Good idea to find some comfortable sandals before hand.

Follow up: Ped. did a lot of trimming and grinding, about 10-15 minutes worth. ( Reminded me of a blacksmith working on hooves :rolleyes:)

Said creams and pills would likely not be effective in her case. Nail removal is an option, but not recommended.

Said Medicare will cover in office trimming every 9 weeks, so that is the plan for now. They look a lot better, but nothing like a normal nail.

Follow up: Ped. did a lot of trimming and grinding, about 10-15 minutes worth. ( Reminded me of a blacksmith working on hooves :rolleyes:)

Said creams and pills would likely not be effective in her case. Nail removal is an option, but not recommended.

Said Medicare will cover in office trimming every 9 weeks, so that is the plan for now. They look a lot better, but nothing like a normal nail.

But without actual medicine to cure it, this sounds like a lifetime adventure, good business for the Ped.

Now, no crap, the numbing of a big toe didn't appear pleasant! DW was not having a great time. The good thing is after it's numb, well I mostly just held her hand.

I had both ingrown nails done too. First experience was like your wife's. Second (about 5 years ago) was much different. Dr. used a topical anesthetic before doing the shots and all went well. Sorry I couldn't have told you before hand.

On the nails, my dad had bad nails for years and tool the oral meds and that turned out well.

Be sure to do a blood test while you're at it, as toenail fungus can be an early indicator of Type II diabetes.

Back
Top Bottom