New Medicare Card

... I thought about noting this in the “happiest moment today” thread, but…

You should've!

By the way, I received my card a little while ago; just passed my 65th birthday. I guess I'm now officially a "Senior Citizen" in the eyes of society. Can't wait to capitalize on those senior discounts! :LOL:

I got my medicare card this month. I'll be 65 in November. Gosh, instead of it feeling like a milestone, it's more like a kidney stone....:-\
It's just one of the last milestone's on the way to a headstone :angel:

I will see if mine shows up in the same timeframe, without being on SS.

To my knowledge it won't unless you apply for Medicare. They have no way of knowing if you're still employed (or became employed with health insurance) during the eligibility period. If that's the case you wouldn't need or want Medicare so they don't assume that you do.

Related question. I'm transitioning from spousal Social Security to my own @ age 70. Will my Medicare number change?

I Googled this but could not find a recent answer. Thanks in advance.

Related question. I'm transitioning from spousal Social Security to my own @ age 70. Will my Medicare number change?

I did the same and my Medicare number remained the same. But Medicare sent me a new card anyway.

Yes and no. The number will not change, however, there's a letter identifyer that will, therefore necessitating a new card. The old number becomes invalid. DH had his Medicare #, new card with identifyer change when he went on spousal, then another new card at 70 when he transitioned back to his.

Yes and no. The number will not change, however, there's a letter identifyer that will, therefore necessitating a new card. The old number becomes invalid. DH had his Medicare #, new card with identifyer change when he went on spousal, then another new card at 70 when he transitioned back to his.

That was not true for me this past year. When I went off spousal SS to my own SS the new Medicare card I got had an identical number to the old card and all the letters were identical too.

I got my SS card, paper, sometime around age 13 or so I think. I still have the original in my wallet about 50 years later. Never laminated, still readable and accepted the rare occasion I'm asked for it. In 50 years I've worn out a lot of wallets, but the card is still fine. YMMV of course.

I got my SS card, paper, sometime around age 13 or so I think. I still have the original in my wallet about 50 years later. Never laminated, still readable and accepted the rare occasion I'm asked for it. In 50 years I've worn out a lot of wallets, but the card is still fine. YMMV of course.

Why do you carry it in your wallet?

You should've!

By the way, I received my card a little while ago; just passed my 65th birthday. I guess I'm now officially a "Senior Citizen" in the eyes of society. Can't wait to capitalize on those senior discounts! :LOL:

Ya well, some teenybopper at the McDonald's drive-through ask me if I got the senior discount discount when I was 43 yrs old. I wasn't smart enough to say yes!

P.S. when I was younger, I thought the discount should be given to us younger people trying to get ahead, now that I'm a senior, I'll take it!

Why do you carry it in your wallet?

I always have it when it's asked for. I think at different times, I've left it in a drawer, but mostly it's just stuck in my wallet. Probably shouldn't keep it there now that I think about it. But I've lived most of my life in small towns or rural areas, so little risk of having my wallet stolen.

Did any of the people here call your doctor and any other hospitals or clinics you frequent and update your insurance info or did you wait /are you going to wait till your next visit and handle that administrivia at check-in time?

Did any of the people here call your doctor and any other hospitals or clinics you frequent and update your insurance info or did you wait /are you going to wait till your next visit and handle that administrivia at check-in time?
At check-in. They always ask if your insurance has changed.

At check-in. They always ask if your insurance has changed.

I just tried to update mine online in the off chance I have another heart attack or something like, today or first thing in the morning, but it wouldn't let me. I could see the possibility of an administrative train wreck until it got sorted out.

That was not true for me this past year. When I went off spousal SS to my own SS the new Medicare card I got had an identical number to the old card and all the letters were identical too.

It may be different now that they don't use your SSN as your Medicare #. DH transitioned to his about 5 years ago. We had a scare when he inadvertently used the wrong card and it was declared invalid by Medicare. Took a while and a phone call to Medicare to get it straightened out.

I did the same and my Medicare number remained the same. But Medicare sent me a new card anyway.

Cool! I'll get a THIRD Medicare card when I turn 70!

- First card at 65.
- Second card same number when I filed for SS spousal benefits from DW's record.
- Third will be when I turn 70 and file for SS on MY record, from the sound of it.

Back
Top Bottom