New Medicare Card

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH received an e-mail 5 days ago from Medicare that he should have received his new card by now and to call if he hasn't to check and be sure they have his correct address on file. The e-mail looks legit, but the scammers are getting better and better and there are scams out there wrt to the new card. He has not received his card and doesn't want to spend an hour on hold with Medicare :(. He has received numerous snail mail from Medicare and SSA so yes, they do have his correct address on file.

What has been your experience with receiving the new card? Did you get an e-mail prior to or after you received your new card? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

What has been your experience with receiving the new card? Did you get an e-mail prior to or after you received your new card? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, I received e-mails both before and after the card arrived. I don't remember the exact timing.

DH called today as his card still has not arrived. Before you all think we're a bunch of idiots, the email's subject line: Didn't get your new Medicare card?. Body of email starts with: DH, did you get your new Medicare card? If you didn't........., it could be because........

At the bottom of the email in smaller print it says to call Medicare to check your address and have your new card mailed to you :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:.

Note to self: Always read the small print at the bottom.

It will take approx. 4 weeks to receive the new card!

Watch for scams

Currently, many offers to "laminate" your new card. Different tactics, but a lead in to med related "offers" for different $$$ services.
Read the fine print.

Currently, many offers to "laminate" your new card. Different tactics, but a lead in to med related "offers" for different $$$ services.
Read the fine print.

Two questions/concerns:

1. Is it OK to laminate them? I only ask because I recently had an issue where the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles wouldn't accept my laminated SS card as proof of my SS#. They said the reader that they use to make a copy couldn't read laminated cards so I had to go home, get a tax form with the SS# and bring that back for proof. Wonder if there would ever be a similar issue with a Medicare card?

2. Wouldn't you think the gummint would have issued more durable plastic cards instead of continuing with the flimsy cardboard ones?

My Medicare card has always been laminated. The only people seeing it are Doctors, hospitals, etc., just to add the numbers; no scan that I am aware of.

Rich

Two questions/concerns:

1. Is it OK to laminate them? I only ask because I recently had an issue where the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles wouldn't accept my laminated SS card as proof of my SS#. They said the reader that they use to make a copy couldn't read laminated cards so I had to go home, get a tax form with the SS# and bring that back for proof. Wonder if there would ever be a similar issue with a Medicare card?

I copied my Medicare card (reduced it a bit to fit in my wallet better) and then trimmed and laminated it. I keep the laminated copy in my wallet and the original in my safe. So far I've never had to retrieve the original but I know I have it just in case.

I just received my new Medicare card 2 weeks after my application, not bad. I wanted to share what I did to protect it. It is a piece of card that can fade and get damaged easily.

I took one leaf of a wallet style credit card holder, put the card in it, trimmed the tab at the top to about 1/4", put double sided tape and folded it over to secure the card. Like Lamination but less destructive. Tadaaa!

Is this overkill? Yes, I am a retired Engineer, what can I say? But I hope the idea helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_9146 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9146 (Medium).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9147 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9147 (Medium).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9145 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9145 (Medium).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 50
We laminated ours.

Around ten years ago we had to get new driver's licenses for some reason, and the Ohio DMV needed to see our SS cards as proof of identity. We showed our (very old) cards and they were not accepted because they had been laminated many years ago for protection. They demanded new cards, so we had to go to the local SS office and get new cards issued. Extremely annoying.

I did something similar in the past but then noticed that I can print a new card anytime I'd like from MyMedicare.gov.

Around ten years ago we had to get new driver's licenses for some reason, and the Ohio DMV needed to see our SS cards as proof of identity. We showed our (very old) cards and they were not accepted because they had been laminated many years ago for protection. They demanded new cards, so we had to go to the local SS office and get new cards issued. Extremely annoying.

Thank God Texas DMV doesn’t refuse laminated SS cards. You have to show your SS card every time you renew DL in person, regardless of other ID such as passport.

DH went to Office Max (like Staples) and bought some "Convertible Badge Holders" for his. It's a little big for his Medicare and Supplement & Part D cards, but easy to get everything out when asked to do so. They came in a package of 5, so when one gets worn out and cracks, we have backups.

I got mine last June, during my transition from divorced spousal SS to SS based on my own employment record (after turning 70).

Five years ago when I turned 65, I received and laminated my old Medicare card, which is now destroyed, and I still have some of those laminating materials in my desk somewhere. I just haven't got around to laminating my new SS card. Maybe I'll do that this morning.

EDITED TO ADD: OK, done! That didn't take long at all, once I found the laminating materials which I bought on Amazon for $3.49 five years ago.

I received mine today, it came quickly (just a couple of weeks after registering online).

I thought about noting this in the “happiest moment today” thread, but…

Still, it’s kind of a milestone!

I received mine today, it came quickly (just a couple of weeks after registering online).

I thought about noting this in the “happiest moment today” thread, but…

Still, it’s kind of a milestone!

Congratulations! And yes, it is definitely a nice milestone. :D

Which are now $4.99 per the link. :angel:

Infuriating, isn't it?! :mad: Work so hard, save up money, and then inflation robs us of it.

OK, it was 9 years ago, and the price has gone up to 143% of what it was then. I guess it could be worse. :banghead:

Infuriating, isn't it?! :mad: Work so hard, save up money, and then inflation robs us of it.

OK, it was 9 years ago, and the price has gone up to 143% of what it was then. I guess it could be worse. :banghead:

Yes it could. Medicare recommends not laminating the car at all

One of many places to see this: https://www.helpadvisor.com/medicare/laminate-medicare-card
A lot of Medicare beneficiaries wonder if they can laminate their Medicare cards. After all, the card is only made of paper and can take a beating if it’s pulled in and out of a wallet or purse all the time. And because your Medicare card is used to file your claims for health care, you will of course want to keep it safe. However, the Social Security Administration advises beneficiaries to not laminate their Medicare cards.
What Happens If You Laminate Your Medicare Card?

Laminating a Medicare card is not illegal. However, the lamination may prevent the detection of certain security features located within the card. It could also potentially cause a health care provider to misread a number on your card and a claim to be denied.

I use one of those plastic sleeve things. It still fits neatly in my wallet

DW's received hers the month she was eligible to enroll in Medicare, 3 months before her 65th. Probably because she is already getting SS. I will see if mine shows up in the same timeframe, without being on SS.

I got my medicare card this month. I'll be 65 in November. Gosh, instead of it feeling like a milestone, it's more like a kidney stone....:-\

Back
Top Bottom