Physical Medicare Card, How long?

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
A couple of weeks ago I officially joined Medicare and received my Medicare number. I've also received several letters from them including my first bill for Part B.

But, I still haven't received the physical Medicare card in the mail yet. Does anyone remember if it takes a while to get it? Just seems like all the other letters arrived fast but the card itself still hasn't shown up.

Thanks!

A couple of weeks ago I officially joined Medicare and received my Medicare number. I've also received several letters from them including my first bill for Part B.

But, I still haven't received the physical Medicare card in the mail yet. Does anyone remember if it takes a while to get it? Just seems like all the other letters arrived fast but the card itself still hasn't shown up.

Thanks!

I seem to remember it taking a few weeks but have heard of cases where it just didn't show up at all. I think one can be reordered/printed on the Medicare.gov site, also by calling the Social Security Office.

It apparently arrives originally in your welcome packet.

You can get your Medicare # pretty much in a day or two after SSA official approval. We got the # through an agent to sign up Medicare plan as we only had like 3 days to spare for my wife's 65th birth month. You can also sign up with Medicare website to print your card and/or save a copy for your medical provider, but most important thing is to explore Medicare plans. I would strongly recommend to find a good agent to help you to choose from many options. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I'll give it another week or so and see if the card or the welcome packet arrive in the mail. I did see on the SS web site that I could order a new card if I need too. As for plans, besides Medicare itself, my past employer pays 100% of the cost for our Kaiser Senior Advantage plan for life for both myself and my wife. I'm lucky in that respect.

Ours just showed up in the mail about the time we turned 65, didn't have to do anything.
We were already collecting SS.
We did sign up for our medicare insurance about a month before, as my work retirement insurance stopped the first of the month I turned 65.

Thanks for those last comments. I'll give this week to see if it arrives before I go online and either print one out or order a new one.

Getting Medicare for me was long trying 3 month process. In my case I don't qualify for Medicare or SS because I was a life time public employee who never paid into it. Luckily I was able to get it through my wife's work history. You would have thought I was the first person that needed to do this. It was just as bad as trying to get ahold of the IRS for a tax problem.

Back
Top Bottom