Nose bleed packing

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 96 year old mother had a severe nose bleed and ended up getting a rhino rocket nose balloon which was just removed by the ENT after 5 days.

He says that there is no active bleeding but there was some abrasion when he removed it that formed a clot that we need to let heal for a week.

I have jacket the humidity up to 40 and he had us get saline spray to do every 4 hours.

He said that if she gets a nose bleed I should pack it with a cotton ball. He said to soak the cotton in Afrin spray. The pharmacist gave me some lame gasoline hcl 0.05% solution that seems to be a decongestant.

Does this sound right? I would have thought to use some sort of clotting agent. Maybe this keeps the cotton from sticking?

He also said to pinch the nostrils and apply an ice pack, but I am a bit confused. Would I pinch even after packing, or would the pinch just be the first easy attempt?

I have a couple nurse friends that I will get in touch with, but figured to throw it out here too.

Thanks.

Joe

AFrin is a decongestant, so would help shrink the blood vessels, thus decrease bleeding.
Ice pack to forehead to reduce/shrink blood vessels feeding the nostril.

My thoughts:
Pinch right away, then while Mom is holding her nose, get the pack and ice ready to apply.
After packing the nostril, I would still pinch and apply the ice.
If still freely bleeding after 10 minutes, call the Dr.

In addition to the humidity settings, consider an room humidifier, especially for next to her bed overnights.

Thanks.

I have ordered some nose clamps and ice packs.

We do not have central air. We have oil hot water heat which dries things out. I am running two Honeywell wicking humidifiers now. I have a small heating one that I may put closer to her bed at night.

The only blood thinner I can see might be some krill oil that I stopped giving her about 3 weeks ago. She has multiple myeloma, which causes anemia. I will ask the hemotologist if this would also affect clotting factor as well as red blood cell production.

Thanks again. She seems to be doing well but is very tired.

Is she getting enough vitamin K? I have to eat a big salad with lots of greens every day to avoid bleeding issues.

I don't know how much K that is but her Ensure Plus says 20% K and she drinks 2.

I will ask the PCP, but the ER doc recommended to cut back on her vitamins. He felt there would be too much interaction. Not sure I agree, but it would seem prudent to clarify why she is taking each one. They were added at the nursing home. I think some B group for cognitive function or maybe anemia. Now that we know myeloma, vitamins for anemia may be obsolete.

I had a severe nose bleed a few years ago, just prior to a major vacation I had to cancel day of flights.

You can buy Bleed Cease on Amazon. It is amazing. I was given it after surgery, as my bleed was due to an arterial growth inside the sinus cavity that had to be removed and subsequently cauterized a few times. No bleeding since. I keep Bleed Cease in the drawer. It works as a packing in the nose, or it will stop bleeding of cuts etc. It has a clotting agent on a gauze cloth.

I initially suffered with the nose tampons installed by ER. Horrible treatment....

Hi Joe and all. Good advice on several ways to deal with severe nose bleeds.

About 6 months ago, I had a severe nose bleed and I ended up in the hospital (my wife took me to the emergency room in the middle of the night). I am on blood thinners (Xarelto) and it was a very scary experience. The ER doctor did pack both my nostrils with the Rhino packs which did stop the bleeding. I stopped my blood thinners for 3 days and had the packs removed by a great ENT on a Sunday, 3 days after being admitted on Friday AM.
Believe it or not, he recommended using a tampon cut in half, in my nose if the bleeding started again. I'm not familiar with the product mentioned on Amazon, but I'm sure there are other first-aid remedies like that that will work in an emergency.

I took a trip to Italy, 2 months after the nose bleeds and was a bit apprehensive about being in the dry air of an airplane that long, but I had no issues and have had no issues since.
Very scary, but seeking medical attention as soon as possible is recommended if it doesn't stop on its own.

Does Bleed Cease come out easily?

I had some Quickclot that I learned about in a combat casualty wound care class that I took a while ago. Basically the same sort of thing except for bullet wounds.

Good thing I did not use the Quickclot. My friend told me that the doctor has to cut it loose from the flesh inside the wound.

Back
Top Bottom