Peanuts vs. Almonds

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-nuts/

Of all Primal-approved food categories, none is more bedeviling to even seasoned followers of the lifestyle than nuts. The questions never end. What is a nut? When you’ve got all these nut-like gymnosperms, drupes, and legumes masquerading as nuts, what even qualifies as an actual nut? Does it even matter? Or phytic acid. Is it or isn’t it a problem? And soaking — am I supposed to soak every type of nut, just some nuts, or none of them? Aren’t nuts really high in omega-6s, which we’re supposedly trying to limit or at least balance with our omega-3 intake? How do we reconcile that conflict? Why is “hazelnut” one word, while “pine nut” is two?

Up until about two years ago I was convinced I was allergic to all nuts, tree nuts and peanuts (which are a legume as others pointed out). Once, when I was a kid, I ate something loaded with walnut pieces not realizing it until I was about halfway through. I had previously eaten granola bars with almond pieces in it unknowingly. No issues. So one day, I grabbed a handful of almonds and told my wife, "watch me." Before she could stop me, I ate a couple of almonds... no issue.

I know I'm allergic to peanuts. How allergic? I don't know. I get hives if it touches my skin and my eyes water when someone else is shelling peanuts nearby. That's enough for me. Sister goes into anaphylaxis, so we all pass on peanuts.

Since my reckless experiment, I've incorporated almonds into my daily diet, along with walnuts and macadamia nuts each several times a week. Good for you, good source of healthy fats and sustaining energy!

Peanuts suck. ;-)

almonds (not fried almonds) are healthier than peanuts.:)

Early Introduction to Allergenic Foods May Be the Key to Preventing Kids Allergies

I've been saying this for years, but it was just my opinion. Of course I always used to say that eventually science would figure out that chocolate and lard are good for you. Maybe people should start listening to me. Nah, I'm still wrong way more than I'm right (according to DW).

For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies.

Which is more "healthy"?

Almonds.JPG Peanuts.JPG

Since they are the healthy ones, I picked up a big bag of almond M&ms

I thought it was peanuts that were healthy. Oh no now the Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Fudge I bought isn't healthy? At 300 calories for a half cup it better be something.

Early Introduction to Allergenic Foods May Be the Key to Preventing Kids Allergies

I've been saying this for years, but it was just my opinion. Of course I always used to say that eventually science would figure out that chocolate and lard are good for you. Maybe people should start listening to me. Nah, I'm still wrong way more than I'm right (according to DW).

"For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies."

That should say 'some pediatricians'. DW who is a pediatrician ate peanuts in all of her pregnancies and all of the children got peanuts as infants. They would been considered relatively high risk for allergies given family histories. Peanut allergy in 1 out of 4.

I'm a big believer in the 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger' philosophy. It's seems likely that in our obsession to be 'clean' that we are not being exposed to enough germs at an early enough age. This is one of the current theories as to why we are seeing so much asthma in high resource countries.

"For decades, pediatricians and other health experts argued that parents should delay a child’s exposure to so-called allergenic foods such as peanuts, eggs, wheat and cow’s milk. But in recent years that belief has changed and now researchers are eager to prove early introduction, not avoidance, is actually the key to preventing serious food allergies."

That should say 'some pediatricians'. DW who is a pediatrician ate peanuts in all of her pregnancies and all of the children got peanuts as infants. They would been considered relatively high risk for allergies given family histories. Peanut allergy in 1 out of 4.

I'm a big believer in the 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger' philosophy. It's seems likely that in our obsession to be 'clean' that we are not being exposed to enough germs at an early enough age. This is one of the current theories as to why we are seeing so much asthma in high resource countries.

DW was diagnosed with celiac in 1981 back in early days. She used rice and corn flours, as there wasn't cheap alternatives back then. Both my kids, born in early '80's, were severely allergic to rice and corn until their teens.

Almonds are alkaline forming, which helps balance the typically acidic American diet.

GORA is my gym and trail snack of choice, though I think GORP tastes a little better.

Almonds have more vitamin E than peanuts, IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

What's "good for you" changes by the minute. If you're allergic to peanuts, the answer is obvious, though.

Driving around in northern CA, I couldn't believe how many almond trees they had. Geeze!

Hopefully a craze that will end well for the farms. Land has been selling for a pretty penny. I do drink Almond milk and eat a lot of nuts in general so am part of the increased demand.

I'm gonna go with almonds..They always seem to appear in health food recipes and as someone said are a whole lot more expensive!

I like both but eat more peanuts cause they're cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom