Plantar Fasciitis. Or Not.

H2ODude

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had a bad case of this several years ago, finally dissipated but came back a year or so ago. With a vengeance. At physical GP wrote a scrip for meloxicam, didn't do any good. Also recommended I see the "sports doc" in their practice, a D.O. I was skeptical but after a month made an appointment as it was really getting bad. Same PF symptoms, but concentrated in left foot. First thing in morning, really bad. Gave up running a long time ago.

Go in three weeks ago and he's the first doc who uses an ultrasound wand on my foot. "You don't have PF (much) you have a cyst in there." Takes a needle and punctures it (OWWW!). I wouldn't say I'm 100% cured but it's 80% better and have now started running again. In three weeks it shrank from 2.4 to 1.2 cm. I'd also had a grape sized ganglial cyst removed from my wrist years ago, he said it's not uncommon to have them pop up in multiple places.

So I'd recommend if you have PF, especially not equal in both feet, see someone who knows what they're doing. I could even feel a knot on the arch of foot, and thought I had scar tissue. He also recommended arch support orthotics, best $29 I ever spent. Do far more good than the silicone heel cups the first doc gave me.

Just figured if I could save anyone else from this needless long term chronic aggravation I'd post it out....

Hope your tip helps some folks. As a PF "customer," I've had great success with 12 buck PF insoles from Amazon.

I feel your pain....I had PF a few years ago and it was miserable. Cleared up on it's own finally as the doctor said there really wasn't much to be done other than wearing insoles. If it ever happens again, I'll take your advice and go to someone who really has experience with PF.

I had it in my left foot for nearly 8 months. It is finally on the wane. What really helped was starting spinning again after a long hiatus and really stretching the foot in the pedal-- that is, heel stretched down and calf flexed as I pedal for 45 minutes 3 times a week. Kind of extreme but that's what it took. This was my first bout with PF and I hope the last. It is really miserable.

I got PF for the first time in 2011 while on an extended hiking holiday and stupidly just carried on through the pain. When I went to see a foot doc recommended by a friend the first thing he did was wheel in an ultrasound machine. He scanned my good heel first and measured the thickness of the plantar fascia and then did the same with my bad foot. The plantar fascia of the bad foot was 50% thicker which confirmed to him the treatment needed. It took 5 months of stretch exercises, anti inflammatory medications, orthotic shoe inserts and then finally an injection to get the foot well enough for our next extended holiday. He only did the cortisone injection when the pain was localized to a single spot in the center of the heel - with his thumb pressing in the center of the heel he put a needle into the side of the foot and when he gauged that he was in the right spot he injected the cortisone.

I still do lots of hiking but wear good boots with inserts and do the stretching exercises at the first signs of pain.

Last edited:
Question guys. how do you know it's PF and not arthritis. In the morning when I wake up I have big time foot pain. usually in the middle and ball of my feet. gets better after I walk around for a few steps.
I did see a podiatrist who said it was PF but I don't have the "heel" pain that is so often discussed.
I've never had the foot scan but have only went one time.

Question guys. how do you know it's PF and not arthritis. In the morning when I wake up I have big time foot pain. usually in the middle and ball of my feet. gets better after I walk around for a few steps.
I did see a podiatrist who said it was PF but I don't have the "heel" pain that is so often discussed.
I've never had the foot scan but have only went one time.

IMO you don’t know unless you see a doc as the symptoms are not conclusive and could be several things.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/plantar-fasciitis-symptoms

Plantar fasciitis may be mistaken for other conditions with similar symptoms, such as arthritis or a nerve problem such as tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Those night splints can help a lot when PF flares up. I had a flare up 9 years ago, and wearing the splint every night for a couple months took care of it.

Had PF several years ago. Stretching exercises every morning before I get out of bed, orthotics, and good shoes with arch supports have kept it at bay. Very painful, hope to not go through that again.

Thinking I should have bought these instead of 85 buck Air Nike shoes that my doc recommended.

Yeah - my first pair were from my podiatrist (+$200). They worked well, but delaminated after year one. I've bought several of the 12 buck ones, and they've worked just as well and last forever. As soon as I buy shoes or boots, I rip out the factory ones, install the cheapos, and life is good!

Yeah - my first pair were from my podiatrist (+$200). They worked well, but delaminated after year one. I've bought several of the 12 buck ones, and they've worked just as well and last forever. As soon as I buy shoes or boots, I rip out the factory ones, install the cheapos, and life is good!
What brand/style did you buy? There are quite a few types on Amazon for around $12.

I had PF which started about 13 months ago. I finally saw a podiatrist and first started with the night splint and exercises. Then added custom orthotics($350.00 -ouch). But the pain did dissipate finally and I have not worn the orthotics lately much (kept in one pair of shoes) and stopped the exercises.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thinking I should have bought these instead of 85 buck Air Nike shoes that my doc recommended.

Hey, don't complain. DW had PF and it took a $200 pair of special sneakers. Well worth it though because they worked.

I have had multiple cases of PF over the last 35 years. My night splint boot and stretching has helped, as well as ultra sound treatments, foot inserts and meloxicam. The best reason I haven't had it in the past 3 years, is the fact I'm not wearing 18" steel toed rubber boots in a coal mine for 12 hours a day.

foam roller on my calf muscle helps mine a lot, I have a huge knot in my calf, and massaging it out decreases my PF pain to a slight annoyance.

I also got insoles from my Dr ($80) and really good shoes ($150), but that's also for my bunion, hammertoe, and stupid pain in the top of my foot that seems to be from overuse and too tight of shoes.

Back
Top Bottom