Poll: Flu 2017/18 Season - Flu and Shot

Flu and Shot

• Yes I got a Flu shot this season and have not got the Flu (so far)

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Yes I got a Flu shot this season and still got the Flu

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • No I did not get a Flu shot this season and have not got the Flu (so far)

Votes: 71 26.2%
  • No I did not get a Flu shot this season and I did get the Flu

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I don't know if it was the Flu but I was sick as a dog

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was H3N2, which I believe is type A.

Yes, H3N2 is type A and is the prevalent bug this flu season.

What absolutely rotten luck to get struck by two strains in one season! Take it easy and stop associating with whoever you've been hanging with this winter or you might end up with strike three!!!

Too much time on airplanes for work. I think its time to retire (again).

I had the shot, as did the rest of my household. Older son and I both got flu like symptoms - but no fever... so it wasn't the flu... just a normal viral crud that seemed to hang on.

San Diego county has had 145 flu deaths so far. At least two were in a senior community near us - they had closed the dining room for eating in - and were doing room service for those that wanted food that way. They'd also closed the gym, etc. I was supposed to attend a community meeting there (about a big proposed development adjacent to this community) but they canceled because of the flu risk.

My sons (and I) volunteer at another senior community. They haven't been as hard hit - but they have discontinued the coffee/cocoa service that was in the common areas - too much risk of transfer when folks are messing with the cups/lids/stirrers. My sons were bummed - they joke that they volunteer for the hot cocoa.

Wash your hands a lot folks!

Still no flu shot and have managed to enter and leave a Walgreens unpunctured.

I keep thinking one of these days I will be tackled and held down while one of their people administers my FREE FLU SHOT! :rolleyes:

Was out collecting food for soup kitchen today. The haul from Fresh Market was very light. My Fresh Market "partner in crime" told me there was no one to collect candidate food items. They are <50% staffing from flu.

I'm on day 16 of bronchitis then a bacterial infection that settled in my sinuses. I'm still coughing up a bit of discolored gunk so suspect I may need a 2nd round of antibiotics. I wish I'd gotten the flu instead so I'd be over it by now :facepalm:.

I'm on day 16 of bronchitis then a bacterial infection that settled in my sinuses. I'm still coughing up a bit of discolored gunk so suspect I may need a 2nd round of antibiotics. I wish I'd gotten the flu instead so I'd be over it by now :facepalm:.

I had bronchitis so when I started to run a temp and get fatigued I assumed it was the bronchitis . It was the flu so I have both and they are equally awful.

I had bronchitis so when I started to run a temp and get fatigued I assumed it was the bronchitis . It was the flu so I have both and they are equally awful.

So sorry to read that you have both!!! What an awful combination to endure and I sincerely wish you the very best. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

So sorry to read that you have both!!! What an awful combination to endure and I sincerely wish you the very best. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Thank You ! I did not feel bad with the bronchitis but the flu knocks you for a loop .

Thank You ! I did not feel bad with the bronchitis but the flu knocks you for a loop .

Sounds awful! I haven't had the flu for many years and I still remember even then (in my 20's) it was no picnic. :(

Not a very scientific poll and it's only about mid season plus the sample size is small but the limited data is still interesting. Lot's of ways to slice and dice even this limited data.

But, at this point out of the 172 who have voted on this poll, only ~15% have had the ful (or something like it) this season "so far". Honestly, I would have expected it to be higher with all the media hype. If I remember, I'll run a comparison poll in late April.

Not a very scientific poll and it's only about mid season plus the sample size is small but the limited data is still interesting. Lot's of ways to slice and dice even this limited data.

But, at this point out of the 172 who have voted on this poll, only ~15% have had the ful (or something like it) this season "so far". Honestly, I would have expected it to be higher with all the media hype. If I remember, I'll run a comparison poll in late April.

The median is not the message. It doesn't matter if ~ 15% of this self-selected crowd have the 'flu. 100% of the members of my household have had it, I required medical intervention and the Unindicted Co-Conspirator is seeing her nurse practitioner tomorrow morning. And we both get our vaccines faithfully each fall. This is a bad year.

The median is not the message. It doesn't matter if ~ 15% of this self-selected crowd have the 'flu. 100% of the members of my household have had it, I required medical intervention and the Unindicted Co-Conspirator is seeing her nurse practitioner tomorrow morning. And we both get our vaccines faithfully each fall. This is a bad year.
To me the media is the message or I should say my only gauge of how bad it is. No doubt, if you and all your family get it or have had it, it might as well be 100% from your perspective. I had the flu once (maybe 15 years ago) and I can still remember how bad it was. I don't recall if I got a flu shot that year or not, but I have every year since then.

Hope you guys are over this "stuff" soon.

But, at this point out of the 172 who have voted on this poll, only ~15% have had the ful (or something like it) this season "so far". Honestly, I would have expected it to be higher with all the media hype.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics

According to WebMD, 5-20% of the US population typically gets the flu each year. I read something the other day that said approximately 5% of the US population has gotten the flu so far this winter (but of course more will get it before winter is over). And that 5% is a guesstimate, because lots of people who get the flu don't go to the doctor or otherwise report that they've had it. So, really, it looks like a fairly average flu year to me, at least in terms of the number of people who have contracted the flu. Perhaps the severity of the strain going around this winter (H3/N2) is worse than some other strains, though; that may be why you hear more about it in the media this winter.

A young single mother of 2 just died from the flu in my metro area.

Got the shot back in October, no flu so far.

I am a lot more religious about using those sanitizing wipes when in stores, though.

According to this poll, 11.7% of the responses got the flu.

If the respondent did get the flu shot, the chances they had the flu was 12.5%.
If the respondent did NOT get the flu shot, the chance they had the flu was 9.3%.

According to us, getting the shot does more harm than good.

Now, there's an obvious flaw in the methodology. The point of this post is to get your critical thinking skills going. Why would this unexpected result arise?

Well, I need to change my answer. I voted that I had the flu shot but didn't have the flu. Then I got the flu...

It's day seven and for some reason I'm losing my voice. All the other symptoms matched flu symptoms, but somewhat mild.

According to this poll, 11.7% of the responses got the flu.

If the respondent did get the flu shot, the chances they had the flu was 12.5%.
If the respondent did NOT get the flu shot, the chance they had the flu was 9.3%.

According to us, getting the shot does more harm than good.

Now, there's an obvious flaw in the methodology. The point of this post is to get your critical thinking skills going. Why would this unexpected result arise?

This certainly got my critical thinking skills going:
For those forum members who did not get the flu shot, but got the flu..well, maybe many of the non-flu shotters threw up on their computers and therefore couldn't respond, that yes, they got the flu. That would account for that low of 9.3%.

It is day five for me and just doing simple things exhausts me . If you have not had the flu shot run do not walk and get it .

It is day five for me and just doing simple things exhausts me . If you have not had the flu shot run do not walk and get it .
Aw! Sounds really rugged, Moemg. I hope you are getting lots of rest and keeping in touch with your doctor's office. With your COPD that you have mentioned here before, plus flu, plus bronchitis, you are in a tough situation. Don't overdo or take any chances (I know you will be careful) and I hope you don't end up in the hospital. :(

Well, I need to change my answer. I voted that I had the flu shot but didn't have the flu. Then I got the flu...

It's day seven and for some reason I'm losing my voice. All the other symptoms matched flu symptoms, but somewhat mild.

I'll change it for you. So sorry you have the flu!

Hope everyone that has the flu, recovers quickly. Take good care of yourselves.

Aw! Sounds really rugged, Moemg. I hope you are getting lots of rest and keeping in touch with your doctor's office. With your COPD that you have mentioned here before, plus flu, plus bronchitis, you are in a tough situation. Don't overdo or take any chances (I know you will be careful) and I hope you don't end up in the hospital. :(
Luckily my Copd is moderate and well controlled so I avoided the hospital .It is still an awful flu and you & Frank being older should take no chances .Get the shot!

Luckily my Copd is moderate and well controlled so I avoided the hospital .It is still an awful flu and you & Frank being older should take no chances .Get the shot!

Oh good! I'm glad. I just came back here because I was worried and I wanted to say that if it gets hard to breathe, even if you think you aren't quite needing a hospital it might be good to go to one just in case.

Back
Top Bottom