Poll, Should we have a separate Forum Catagory call Medicare questions ?

Poll, Should we have a separate Forum Catagory call Medicare questions ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I see a lot of Medicare topics discussed and just wonder if a separate category would be a worthwhile addition.

[mod note - vote is public, so how everyone votes can be seen]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the health forum is all that's needed.

Just to point out a few things. Creating a new forum topic category is at the option of site staff. In order to enable sub-forum specific searches, when a new forum is created individual threads need to be identified and relocated, going back a number of years, which is a lot of work.

Last edited:
I would also remark that we have a fairly robust search function in the forum, particularly if you use the Advanced Search feature.

Just to point out a few things. Creating a new forum topic category is at the option of site staff. In order to enable sub-forum specific searches, when a new forum is created individual threads need to be identified and relocated, going back a number of years, which is a lot of work.

I certainly I wasn't going to do it, but if it was something members wanted, I would mention it to the staff with the poll data.
Turns out members overwhelmingly do not want it. At least so far.

I certainly I wasn't going to do it, but if it was something members wanted, I would mention it to the staff with the poll data.
Turns out members overwhelmingly do not want it. At least so far.

I will join the members who overwhelmingly don't want it. I think finding Medicare threads is easiest to do by simply using our convenient search function. Have you even tried it? Try the "Advanced Search", restricted to the "Health and Early Retirement" subforum if you wish, and search on the word "Medicare" or similar, depending on what you want.

Also, I agree with MichaelB that this type of decision is not relegated to our members, and there are good reasons for this.

No thanks. If you expand the same logic we'd also have a "When to take Social Security" sub.

No thanks. If you expand the same logic we'd also have a "When to take Social Security" sub.

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: Or a "Total Knee Replacement Surgery" subforum! Or how about a "Men's Health" sub-forum for discussing prostate issues or little blue pills.

I apologize.
I promise I had no plans to to do this my self!

Ever!

Even if I knew how, I would not do it.
It's not for me to do on my own.

I"m going to go kill myself now.

Yeah, then you will get no Medicare benefits

That would probably have short threads!

:ROFLMAO: So true!

If I seemed overly critical, I am truly sorry. Apparently I was because Karma bit me in the rear right after I posted. I had to hassle with my phone company and bank, just to continue my autopay as always after getting a new card with everything the same except with a new expiration date. Apparently when I activated the card by phone, and it said happily that it was activated, really it wasn't so I had to do it again online. There's a wasted hour I'll never get back.

:ROFLMAO: So true!

If I seemed overly critical, I am truly sorry. Apparently I was because Karma bit me in the rear right after I posted. I had to hassle with my phone company and bank, just to continue my autopay as always after getting a new card with everything the same except with a new expiration date. Apparently when I activated the card by phone, and it said happily that it was activated, really it wasn't so I had to do it again online. There's a wasted hour I'll never get back.

ahh, I got a little testy when more than one person told me I couldn't do that on my own. Well ya!!
My memory is to short to hold a grudge, my wife on the other hand...
This an Early retirement group, so Medicare may not be on the curve, but clearly a lot of questions are posted. I still think it is a good idea to have a separate category, after all, Why would you put a Medicare question in a category named health and 'Early Retirement' people that retire early aren't on Medicare. But, I was out voted, it happens. :)

Reactions: W2R
While we may not need a new Forum for Medicare, a sticky thread for paying off the mortgage might be helpful. That way when the topic starts in a new thread (every 4 days from my experience), the moderators can just roll it into the sticky and nobody has to re-re-re-re-re-re-state their opinion. The newbies can just start from the top.

While we may not need a new Forum for Medicare, a sticky thread for paying off the mortgage might be helpful. That way when the topic starts in a new thread (every 4 days from my experience), the moderators can just roll it into the sticky and nobody has to re-re-re-re-re-re-state their opinion. The newbies can just start from the top.

That's psychological conundrum not financial.

………. This an Early retirement group, so Medicare may not be on the curve, but clearly a lot of questions are posted. I still think it is a good idea to have a separate category, after all, Why would you put a Medicare question in a category named health and 'Early Retirement' people that retire early aren't on Medicare. But, I was out voted, it happens. :)

I thought you had a good idea. I had been wondering about it for a while prior to you bringing it up. But I had not thought about all the previous Medicare threads, that they should be found and put into the new forum, a lot of work.

Now about people Early Retiring and not being on Medicare... check my "joined date", and I had read the forum for months before that, unable to join, because of a website error not allowing new sign-ups.
I was but a mere child in my forties back then, but alas, the sands of time have piled up and up.

A belated THANKS! to ancient user Red Oscar, who left his/her email address exposed back then, when I found it, I emailed them about the log-in problem, and they, as a registered user, passed it on to Cap'N Bill, aka Dory36, the creator of this concept, who fixed the issue. I have wondered often if Red Oscar is still alive. I would like to think that life has gone well, and that he/she is in a sunny clime and that every day is worth living!

We do have a FAQ forum with threads on common topics like PPACA and Medicare

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I thought of that too as there was a recent FAQ created for Medicare and useful info about SHIIP posted. Coincidentally, a friend sent me a link to NC SHIIP contacts today but that can be found through the nationwide link in the FAQ.

I have the feeling that most related posts/discussions are about Medigap/supplements and Advantage plans and tend to sprawl all over which would make it hard to have a single, stable definitive source of information/answers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom