Potential serious health news

Update: Surgery on Tues 12/8 went well. Removed about 1/3 of Pancrease Dr. said, maybe a little more. Signs of severe pancreatitis although I had no real symptoms or pain. Splene removed as well. Recovery slow (and painful). Just released yesterday 12/12 and the 3.5-4 hour drive back was not a lot of fun. Rough night last night, but I was trying not to take Oxycodone and lasted until 3AM last night. Only have 20 of the pills. I go back to have draininage tube removed and hopefully have pathalogy results this coming Friday 12/18. Thanks for all who posted thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the update Tiger. Glad surgery was successful and hoping for a good report.

Hoping your pain subsides also. Glad you are home!

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Hopefully that is the end of that and now you'll be back to a healthy and happy life. I hope for you that this will just become another bad memory for 2020.

Last edited:
Hope you are back on stride soon. Please don't worry about taking a little of the painkiller to help you sleep. Good sleep is important to healing and mental health.

Update: Surgery on Tues 12/8 went well. Removed about 1/3 of Pancrease Dr. said, maybe a little more. Signs of severe pancreatitis although I had no real symptoms or pain. Splene removed as well. Recovery slow (and painful). Just released yesterday 12/12 and the 3.5-4 hour drive back was not a lot of fun. Rough night last night, but I was trying not to take Oxycodone and lasted until 3AM last night. Only have 20 of the pills. I go back to have draininage tube removed and hopefully have pathalogy results this coming Friday 12/18. Thanks for all who posted thoughts and prayers.

Wow, you have been through it!! I agree, take the medicine for pain if it helps - that's what it's for and there's more where it came from if you need it!
Thinking of you and praying for you!

Glad to hear your operation went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery and more good news.

Tiger, that sounds pretty rough but hopefully you will start feeling better every day soon, now that you are past that major surgery and beginning to recover.

I'm like you, preferring to avoid pain meds but sometimes they are necessary and it sounds like last night was one of those nights. Take care and you definitely have my best wishes for a smooth and relatively fast recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
It is OK to take the pain medication short term. Good, pain relief rest is important to recovery and healing.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
It is OK to take the pain medication short term. Good, pain relief rest is important to recovery and healing.

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to get nauseous from pain pills my DH does. After a big surgery the last thing you want to do is upchuck..

Rough night last night, but I was trying not to take Oxycodone and lasted until 3AM last night. Only have 20 of the pills.

I fully appreciate the desire to limit usage of powerful pain pills. I had the similar inclination after a surgical/medical issue, tried to limit myself only bedtime.

I was chided by my nurse, though. She was clear with me that relieving pain during the awake hours was at least as important, as that allowed me to be more active which would allow faster recovery. We might think we can power through the pain, but it's not always the best decision, medically.

So I'd suggest you ask your doc if there is a benefit to limiting your usage, especially during these first few days.

Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

When my late wife came out of hospital after a biopsy that revealed she had terminal lung cancer they gave her prescriptions for a number of powerful painkillers.

She said "I'm not taking that ****", and that was that.

I fully appreciate the desire to limit usage of powerful pain pills. I had the similar inclination after a surgical/medical issue, tried to limit myself only bedtime.

I was chided by my nurse, though. She was clear with me that relieving pain during the awake hours was at least as important, as that allowed me to be more active which would allow faster recovery. We might think we can power through the pain, but it's not always the best decision, medically.

So I'd suggest you ask your doc if there is a benefit to limiting your usage, especially during these first few days.

Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

Apparently the stomach issues with pain pills run in my DH's family. His brother had a one day surgery and felt pretty decent in the recovery area. His nurse said, we don't want you to feel pain so I'm putting something in your IV. With a few minutes he was violently sick to his stomach and it continued for several hours. You know your body and a nurse doesn't so sometimes it's a fine line.

Wishing you the best. I hope your news is good on Friday.

Wishing you good luck in your recovery!!!!

In regards to the pain meds, remember it's a lot easy to stay ahead of the pain instead of trying to stop it once it becomes unbearable. My DW learned this eventually (she has had 3 spinal surgeries) and her last recovery went much, MUCH better. It's also worth noting that you may not necessarily need opioids to deal with the pain...my DW does pretty good with good 'ole ibuprofen...she just has make sure she manages the pain *before* it gets to be an issue.

Wishing you good luck in your recovery!!!!

In regards to the pain meds, remember it's a lot easy to stay ahead of the pain instead of trying to stop it once it becomes unbearable. My DW learned this eventually (she has had 3 spinal surgeries) and her last recovery went much, MUCH better. It's also worth noting that you may not necessarily need opioids to deal with the pain...my DW does pretty good with good 'ole ibuprofen...she just has make sure she manages the pain *before* it gets to be an issue.

Thanks ExFlyBoy, I am trying to manage it a little better now through Tylenol and the oxy on a limited basis. I'm not trying to be "manly", just don't like the feeling some of it gives me. Trying to start moving around more and will venture out a little bit today.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I am not getting on line so much at this point, but reading all of it as I feel better. Looking forward to some good news on Friday, sure wish it was 2021 though! :cool:

Thanks ExFlyBoy, I am trying to manage it a little better now through Tylenol and the oxy on a limited basis. I'm not trying to be "manly", just don't like the feeling some of it gives me. Trying to start moving around more and will venture out a little bit today.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I am not getting on line so much at this point, but reading all of it as I feel better. Looking forward to some good news on Friday, sure wish it was 2021 though! :cool:

Good to hear from you! But you do what you need to do - get on here if you can, read if you can't - we are here:)

I really agree with ExFlyBy5's wife - it's much easier to stay ahead of the pain if you can, then to deal with it in crisis mode. Personal story: I get migraines, and it took me years to figure out how to deal with it before it gets so bad that I panic. I can usually feel it coming on, and start my progression. Like you, I start with the OTC painkillers, progressing to half a codeine along with them if I need it. Rarely now do I ever have to get to full dose codeine (my headache medicine of choice - the "harder stuff" makes me even "wingier" that the codeine does) or stronger (oxycodone or percocet etc. (which I avoid unless absolutely necessary cease I don't like the way it makes me feel.)) I now take much less of the prescription meds because the headache rarely gets to the point where I need them.

If you don't like the way that oxycodone makes you feel, maybe ask your doc for something else - there will probably be one out there that you can use to manage the pain until you get better without making you feel too bad.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Had appt Friday. Could not remove drain tube because Amylase levels (enzymes) and volume of discharge way to high. Will review again on Dec 30. Means Pancreas has not healed up from surgery yet and leaking.

Pathology showed cancer, neuroendocrine tumor or NET. In the laymans explanation by the Dr. "not the Patrick Swayze/Alex Trebek type of cancer, the Steve Jobs type. They had 15 lymph nodes, all negative, and the spleen was negative. Still trying to look at what this means, but I know I have to do CT scans approximately every 6 months for the next 3-5 years to see if it pops up in Pancreas or other areas (stomach, liver, lungs, etc). Still some research to do to see a little better what this means.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom