Prescriptions and travelling

Our experience in buying what we would consider to be prescription drugs in other countries is that usually they are less expensive than we would pay in Canada. Sometimes what is prescription/controlled for us can be be purchased in other countries without a prescription simply by speaking to the pharmacist.

Pharmacists in some countries are permitted to prescribe/dispense certain drugs. We were quite surprised in Malaysia. We were able to easily obtain what for us would be a controlled pain drug, and as much as we wanted, with out a prescription. Same in Brazil a number of years ago.

Last edited:
Our experience in buying what we would consider to be prescription drugs in other countries is that usually they are less expensive than we would pay in Canada. Sometimes what is prescription/controlled for us can be be purchased in other countries without a prescription simply by speaking to the pharmacist.

Pharmacists in some countries are permitted to prescribe/dispense certain drugs. We were quite surprised in Malaysia. We were able to easily obtain what for us would be a controlled pain drug, and as much as we wanted, with out a prescription. Same in Brazil a number of years ago.

I was struggling with back pain while traveling in Canada years ago. The pharmacist offered me acetaminophen with codeine - no script, no "schedule", OTC (though not on the pain meds. shelf.) Codeine always made me sick, so I think I settled for script strength Ibuprofen - also OTC. YMMV

My spouse cracked several vertebrae in Kuala Lumper a few years ago. After a day in hospital she was discharged with a weeks worth of pain killers.

Whatever they were, spouse (an RN) said they were controlled and counted at home. And a good street value. We decided to continue on to Australia for the last three weeks of our snowbird trip.

DW decided to get another two week supply just in case. Went into a pharmacy, spoke to the pharmacist, and purchased them. We could have had 20 strips if we wanted. She thought it would be a hassle to get them in Oz. They were incredibly inexpensive. The few that she used certainly did the trick...same tablets we got from the KL hospital

^^^

What a difference (not saying all good or all bad.)

Back flared up a year ago and I asked doc for low-dose Lortab (because they do work). He spent 5 minutes telling me why he probably shouldn't give me any. He recommended a "pain" clinic where they give you shots! What a total CYA on his part. Finally gave me a script for a few. Weasel! But, YMMV.

I was struggling with back pain while traveling in Canada years ago. The pharmacist offered me acetaminophen with codeine - no script, no "schedule", OTC (though not on the pain meds. shelf.) Codeine always made me sick, so I think I settled for script strength Ibuprofen - also OTC. YMMV

Ditto.
I went for the Codeine ones, they gave me a bottle of 200.
I brought them back with me, as obviously I had extra's left over.
I really appreciated the concept that I as an adult responsible to drive my heavy vehicle, could be responsible enough to manage my medicine. :cool:

Ditto.
I went for the Codeine ones, they gave me a bottle of 200.
I brought them back with me, as obviously I had extra's left over.
I really appreciated the concept that I as an adult responsible to drive my heavy vehicle, could be responsible enough to manage my medicine. :cool:

I absolutely agree. Having said that, we continue to see thousands of deaths yearly from pain meds - admittedly, mostly due to abuse. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom