Recommendation for walking sticks / hiking sticks

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Please comment if you have any info to share on some mid range, not fantastically expensive adjustable walking sticks. Are there certain things I should pay attention to when I’m shopping?

DW likes her Black Diamond hiking sticks from REI. (Without bamboo grips). REI recommends against bamboo grips because they get slimy when hands start sweating.

I'm also looking for a walking stick to replace the golf club I was thinking of using for walking my dogs. I was looking at low end, as in the stout wood ones that I see the local gang of seniors use on their group morning walks. The best ones locally are at our local Ace Hardware.

I occasionally see people with trekking poles on their walks. I found this 'instructional guide' that seems like too much effort for me. How to Use Nordic Walking Poles While Walking Your Dog

But then I saw the stun gun canes ;) that also have a flashlight. The nerd in me is really tempted, especially with loose dogs that would attack my greyhounds.
3 Stun Gun Canes & Walking Sticks for Self-Defense - Spy Goodies

There are some inexpensive swordcanes that don't seem that practical.
Sword Canes | True Swords

DW likes her Black Diamond hiking sticks from REI. (Without bamboo grips). REI recommends against bamboo grips because they get slimy when hands start sweating.
I'm another Black diamond fan but strongly prefer the fixed length Z-poles. I've had adjustable poles in the past and find they "self adjust" too easily and I spend too much time resetting the length. They come in four fixed lengths to suit most people.

Funny, this is what I was hoping to make as a hobby. I haven't carved any yet, I just ordered the carving knives from Amazon. See link for nice sticks:

Wood Spirit Sticks

I hope I can get this good.

Weight and the length of the stick would be top considerations I would think. Get the tip of the stick to match you're intended terrain. Steel sharp tip for trails and roads, soft rubber for indoors. They make interchangeable tips too or screw on covers for the sharp tips.

Last edited:
REI is a great source for walking/hiking staffs and trekking poles. Browse their inventory online.

I don't know a thing about walking sticks for hiking. However, F has started using a regular cane lately and he bought a couple of very nice ones at this website:

https://www.fashionablecanes.com/

Not all of their canes are fancy girly looking ones - - he got two plain dark brown ones that look very distinguished and are sturdy, discreet, and exactly what he wanted. One is foldable and a spare.

Last edited:
I would think some handy pepper spray would be more effective than a stun gun. I would think it would be hard to hit a dog (small object) with a stun gun versus spraying with pepper spray.

I think you are correct in your assessment. Which immediately leads to a 'pepper spray cane' . There is a patent for that, but that's all I could find https://www.google.com/patents/US5901723

I don't know a thing about walking sticks for hiking. However, F has started using a regular cane lately and he bought a couple of very nice ones at this website:

https://www.fashionablecanes.com/

Not all of their canes are fancy girly looking ones - - he got two plain dark brown ones that look very distinguished and are sturdy, discreet, and exactly what he wanted. One is foldable and a spare.

Found this in your link:
https://www.fashionablecanes.com/80585.html

I picked this one up at a thrift store in England last year for about $4 Canadian:
cny86.jpg
feeling good now! :)

I would think some handy pepper spray would be more effective than a stun gun. I would think it would be hard to hit a dog (small object) with a stun gun versus spraying with pepper spray.

Perhaps these electrified canes are not the same as the stun gun against humans, but more like electric cattle prods.

These would make a good addition to a pepper spray against vicious dogs.

I always looked at walking sticks as a way to provide additional stability when hiking but have noticed more people using trekking poles while on regular walks. Looks a little strange but I'm guessing there must be a fitness reason behind it in addition to the walk. Upper body workout?

. Looks a little strange but I'm guessing there must be a fitness reason behind it in addition to the walk. Upper body workout?

Fad? "Hey I'm, like, Norwegian...lookit me"?

(Especially as, half the time, they appear to be just dragging the poles along.)

I have a set of LL Bean Hikelite hiking poles, $70. They have worked well for the past couple of years. The poles and I have hiked over 400 miles with a pack in the mountains. They also double as my tent poles. :)

Last edited:
I use a gem scoop as my walking stick. I also use it to roll logs looking for stuff, catch snakes, snag things, and last but not least...fight off Pigmy Warriors. It has seen a lot of miles.

Attachments

• Gem Scoop Walking Stick 1-7-2018 (1).JPG
    Gem Scoop Walking Stick 1-7-2018 (1).JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Gem Scoop Walking Stick 1-7-2018 (2).JPG
    Gem Scoop Walking Stick 1-7-2018 (2).JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 29
Love my Black Diamond. I told my DD to call them trekking poles--it sounds much more trendy. :)

I had a pair of Leki, but I didn't like the way they adjusted.

Depends how you plan to use them. On my PCT hike I used Black Diamond. I prefer the 3 section design over 2 section. Another popular choice among hikers is Leki. The cork handles are also nice for weight concerns. I didn’t have any concern doing long distances with cork hand grips.

Love my Black Diamond. I told my DD to call them trekking poles--it sounds much more trendy. :)

I had a pair of Leki, but I didn't like the way they adjusted.

Yes, if you’re hiking, trekking poles is the correct terminology.

I do a lot of back country hiking and use a cross country ski pole. They are very similar to the trekking poles that are shown in this thread.

I walk in town just about everyday if I can't be in the country and don't use a stick. I know a guy here that builds diamond willow sticks and are very nice. I have access to diamond willows and have a few in back of my pickup I use from time to time as walking sticks. These aren't fancy but have them at the right height and are nice to look at too.

Good luck in finding a walking stick. I would never be without one in the back country.

If you are doing serious hiking on rough terrain you need two poles each. A single hiking stick is a style thing that is not particularly useful and you rarely see an experienced hiker using something that primitive. The very best buy in a strong light and easily length adjustable set of poles are from Montem and are readily found on Amazon.

I've never used it, (it sits in a corner, but not this corner), but close to 20 years ago I fashioned a pole from Olneya tesota down in Arizona:

awq2j5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom